subway = big mac?!

Options
2»

Replies

• AwMyLoLo
    AwMyLoLo Posts: 1,571 Member
    Options
    ...but I LOVE their veggie delight salad with all the veggies and no dressing!!! It's awesome! Don't get the croutons and have them sprinkle the oregano spices on it! Mmmm. Makes me want one right now.

That salad can't be THAT bad for you, can it??

According to their website, the Veggie Delight Salad with no dressing is 60 calories (no cheese either). I always use red wine vinegar on salads, 2 calories for 2 tbsp.
  • beckyi88
    beckyi88 Posts: 604
    Options
    I did the same thing the other day. I usually get a dble cheeseburger at McDonalds and I was so proud of myself for getting a turkey/ham 6" sub instead.....until I checked the calories! They were almost exactly the same! I was bummed!
  • stratdl
    stratdl Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    ...but I LOVE their veggie delight salad with all the veggies and no dressing!!! It's awesome! Don't get the croutons and have them sprinkle the oregano spices on it! Mmmm. Makes me want one right now.

That salad can't be THAT bad for you, can it??

According to their website, the Veggie Delight Salad with no dressing is 60 calories (no cheese either). I always use red wine vinegar on salads, 2 calories for 2 tbsp.

Whew! Today's lunch is saved!! Thanks, AwMyLoLo!!! :flowerforyou:
  • AwMyLoLo
    Options
    I try to stay away from deli meats because of the sodium. Also, anything made with mayo like their tuna or seafood and crab (YUM)! But yes, in a pinch, I always go for Subway because you CAN get something lower cal there. I usually get the veggie delight salad with their red wine vinegarette. It's yummy and very filling for very low calories. Their salads are definitely the best out of any fast food restaurant. They are bigger, fresher, cost less, and you can customize them! I :heart: Subway salads! :laugh:
  • 00Angela00
    00Angela00 Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    Next time try having a 6" sub, with apple slices and a milk. It'll fill you up just as much.
    You really shouldn't be having a foot long sub in one sitting - though I'll be the first to admit that I eat them myself sometimes. I believe 6" is a serving.

It was a 6" that I ate. I could never eat a whole foot long
  • 00Angela00
    00Angela00 Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    So for lunch I had a subway spicy italian sandwhich with all the veggies, ranch and mustard and It was 540 calories. So today we decided to check out the nutrients in a big mac and they were almost IDENTICAL to the subway sandwich except it have 10 more calories and more protein?!!!!!! I feel fat now ....

Here's another question.. Does anybody go and just buy a Big Mac and a water? or a diet coke?
    You know how pop and fries taste so good with that greasy burger.

You had a sub and it was healthier.
    I felt like that the first time I went to subway, I heard about the big hype, it was on biggest loser. So I ate my 12" and when I got home looked up how many calories.

I worked out extra my next workout and put it in the past But I don't forget now that subway isnt' really that "healthy"

Well that's the think with Biggest Loser, they're sponsered by these companies that require them to advertise. For instance in Jillian Michaels book "Mastering your matabolism" she says not to cook foods with plastics, including the steam veggies that come in the zip log bags, which she totally advertises on the show. So weird ...

Wait, what? What is her reasoning for not cooking vegetables in or with plastic? That seems odd, haven't heard that before...

It's because of the chemicals that you digest because of the plastics. I've heard that many times before. Same with plastic water bottles, and tupperware.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    LOL, well yeah, its bad, you chose from the regular subway menu. They have a bunch of sandwiches that are decent (not GOOD mind you, but not HORRIBLE either), I.E. have about 35 carbs (in a 6") and about 320 calories, and about 5g fat total. While that's not GREAT, it's not a disaster either. Just make sure you get one of the whole wheat or whole grain breads, simple carbs'll kill ya (literally!).

Remember, anyplace that serves sandwich deli meats is not going to be your best choice.
  • chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Options
    The spicy italian is one of the worst subs that subway has....try the BMT or club next time with no ranch and no cheese then it's not quite so bad. I love the oat bread they have.
  • LeanLioness
    LeanLioness Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    Actually I am one of those strange people that do order a Big Mac or Double cheeseburger and a water. :wink: I stay away from subway because even after eating a 12 inch I am still starving. The fat in the cheeseburger hold me longer.

So for lunch I had a subway spicy italian sandwhich with all the veggies, ranch and mustard and It was 540 calories. So today we decided to check out the nutrients in a big mac and they were almost IDENTICAL to the subway sandwich except it have 10 more calories and more protein?!!!!!! I feel fat now ....

Here's another question.. Does anybody go and just buy a Big Mac and a water? or a diet coke?
    You know how pop and fries taste so good with that greasy burger.

You had a sub and it was healthier.
    I felt like that the first time I went to subway, I heard about the big hype, it was on biggest loser. So I ate my 12" and when I got home looked up how many calories.

I worked out extra my next workout and put it in the past But I don't forget now that subway isnt' really that "healthy"

I am one of those people too!!!

I get a double quarter pounder (low carb style) with pickles, onions, mustard, extra cheese and NO BUN, NO CATSUP. Water to drink please.........
  • bellastella86
    bellastella86 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Subway is as healthy as you want to make it. If you order a 6" veggie or turkey, no mayo, etc that is a much better choice than a 12" italian or meatball sub with mayo and ranch and all the other fat piled on.

Biggest Loser using Subway because Subway gives you the tools to make healthy choices. It is up to you what you decided to put on your sandwich. If you want healthy, eat healthy. If you eat a fatty sandwich take responsibility for it and count your calories and move on.

The one thing I've learned from my journey into a healthy life is that I am responsible for what I eat. It is up to me to educate myself about what I am going to eat. :happy:
  • hurleycutie142
    hurleycutie142 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    well i think of it this way. I usually get a chicken teriaki which is my fav... i will but a foot long but eat that as 2 of my meals... so last time i calculated it and it was about 700... so i only will eat one half either as long and dinner or ill have one lunch one day and the next day for lunch... it calculates a lot better then a hamburger...

AND I USED TO WORK THERE...
    and i know the disgusting crap they serve...
    think about it
    mcdonalds is ALWAYS busy...
    being under a 450 degree burner wouldnt u sweat?
    i know ive sweated on a couple of burgers just cause i couldnt control it...
    and they will leave a burger in a "bin" all day if they need to...
    and they dont wash their hands...

they just DONT CARE!

o and dont u feel sooo much better eating something like subway then u do after eating mcdonalds...
    i had mcdonalds yesterday and i swear i havd a laxative
  • CarmenSantiago
    CarmenSantiago Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    Like the other posters said you got a lot more to eat with a sub then with a Big Mac, not too mention who can eat a Big Mac without fries??!

I usally eat the turkey or ham with no cheese and a little of the honey mustard. I used to get the lite mayo but then realized it really wasn't so lite. I don't usually like mustard but thought I'd try the honey mustard and I actually like it.
  • AwMyLoLo
    Options
    Subway is as healthy as you want to make it. If you order a 6" veggie or turkey, no mayo, etc that is a much better choice than a 12" italian or meatball sub with mayo and ranch and all the other fat piled on.

Biggest Loser using Subway because Subway gives you the tools to make healthy choices. It is up to you what you decided to put on your sandwich. If you want healthy, eat healthy. If you eat a fatty sandwich take responsibility for it and count your calories and move on.

The one thing I've learned from my journey into a healthy life is that I am responsible for what I eat. It is up to me to educate myself about what I am going to eat. :happy:

Great advice!! :wink:
  • AwMyLoLo
    Options
    well i think of it this way. I usually get a chicken teriaki which is my fav... i will but a foot long but eat that as 2 of my meals... so last time i calculated it and it was about 700... so i only will eat one half either as long and dinner or ill have one lunch one day and the next day for lunch... it calculates a lot better then a hamburger...

AND I USED TO WORK THERE...
    and i know the disgusting crap they serve...
    think about it
    mcdonalds is ALWAYS busy...
    being under a 450 degree burner wouldnt u sweat?
    i know ive sweated on a couple of burgers just cause i couldnt control it...
    and they will leave a burger in a "bin" all day if they need to...
    and they dont wash their hands...

they just DONT CARE!

o and dont u feel sooo much better eating something like subway then u do after eating mcdonalds...
    i had mcdonalds yesterday and i swear i havd a laxative

EWWW!! LOL :indifferent:
  • JoyousMaximus
    JoyousMaximus Posts: 9,285 Member
    Options
    A subway sandwich with veggies on wheat has nutritional value other than calories like fiber and vitamins. A big mac doesn't. Besides the 12" turkey breast on wheat, no cheese or spread (I use vinegar only) is about 560 cal but is so much more food.

Plus I always FEEL fatter after I eat at McDonalds...except the ice cream cone. Those are amazing, even if they aren't exactly good for you.:smile:
  • AwMyLoLo
    Options
    I try to stay away from deli meats because of the sodium. Also, anything made with mayo like their tuna or seafood and crab (YUM)! But yes, in a pinch, I always go for Subway because you CAN get something lower cal there. I usually get the veggie delight salad with their red wine vinegarette. It's yummy and very filling for very low calories. Their salads are definitely the best out of any fast food restaurant. They are bigger, fresher, cost less, and you can customize them! I :heart: Subway salads! :laugh:

:grumble: Okay, I totally retract my statement. I just got my salad from Subway and they raised the price to 5 bucks! :angry:
  • chuseman
    chuseman Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    A subway sandwich with veggies on wheat has nutritional value other than calories like fiber and vitamins. A big mac doesn't. Besides the 12" turkey breast on wheat, no cheese or spread (I use vinegar only) is about 560 cal but is so much more food.

Plus I always FEEL fatter after I eat at McDonalds...except the ice cream cone. Those are amazing, even if they aren't exactly good for you.:smile:

surprisingly the ice cream is one of the best things on their menu. 1 cone is 150cal.. if you get the small kiddy cone its 45 cal.
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    its the choice of meats you have on your sandwich, fatty meats make it a fatty sandwich.