Do men really enjoy receiving gifts on Valentine's Day?

Options
La1210
La1210 Posts: 99 Member
I have always thought of Valentine's Day as more of a woman's holiday. I kind of feel like it's our day to be showered and pampered for all things we do for our men and families. I always get my hubby a card, but is that enough? I don't recall ever getting him, or any man, anything more than that. Is that wrong? For some reason I feel like men really don't expect to receive gifts on Valentine's Day....

Replies

• TJLL22
    Options
    A card is perfect. It's a sweet gesture.
  • tbresina
    tbresina Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    I have been married for 13 years and what we agreed upon early on in our marriage was to never exchange gifts at holidays but to go away on a special night out. We usually go on a weekend getaway or even just a 1 night getaway out of town. Tomorrow we are heading to the Dells, it is a waterpark in WI where we live. 2 full days of nothing but togetherness, no phones, no kids, no work, no worries. We have enough "stuff" and when ever we want something we just go and buy it, this way we can spend quality time together with no hassel and no worries about are they going to like it/did I get the right size etc.
  • witchywillow
    witchywillow Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    if u have a good man i think he deserves something, we dont have a lot of money but i have bought my hubby a heart shaped box full of mini packets of love heart sweets at 22 cals a pk he can have one occasionly and not ruin all his mfp hard work, there his favourite sweets :love: :heart:
    it doesnt have to be anything expensive its just knowing wat ur partner likes :happy:
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    I get my boyfriend a card and chocolate too! He loves candy, and i think that can be given too

And of course give him all the fun he wants in the bedroom later on ;D
  • KitTheRoadie
    KitTheRoadie Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    I tell my wife I love her more than once a day and I always credit her on the amazing job she is doing as a new Mum!

I am not sure why tomorrow I am forced to be extra nice to her and shower her with gifts when I do that as normal! I am not being un-romantic, she will get a card and flowers and we are going for a drink (first time since my son arrived 7 months ago!) so really tomorrow is just any other day really...

I think she may get me a card and the words she writes are the only gift I really need.
  • wcasie
    wcasie Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I have been married for 13 years and what we agreed upon early on in our marriage was to never exchange gifts at holidays but to go away on a special night out. We usually go on a weekend getaway or even just a 1 night getaway out of town. Tomorrow we are heading to the Dells, it is a waterpark in WI where we live. 2 full days of nothing but togetherness, no phones, no kids, no work, no worries. We have enough "stuff" and when ever we want something we just go and buy it, this way we can spend quality time together with no hassel and no worries about are they going to like it/did I get the right size etc.

I agree... my honey and i go on special dates for birthdays, anniversaries, valentines and so forth. the only time we exchange gifts is on Christmas.
  • TNoire
    TNoire Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    Ill be celebrating my 7yr wedding anniversary on Valentines day
    Hubby & I met online though a friend of ours back in the summer of 2004
    Valentine weekend 2005 he drove 14hrs to Canada from Missouri USA to ask me to marry him =)

It was his idea we get married on valentines so to us its something special, he said this way he can never forget our special day :blushing:

I don't expect anything and neither does he, we just go have dinner (one of a few days a year I don't have to cook)
    then we usually come home and watch movies and snuggle up on the couch :flowerforyou:

Tho sometimes ill get him a dvd or comic book hes been eyeballing or something I know he will enjoy
    This year he got me some new pots & pans I needed them though
    so it just all depends with us even tho we don't expect anything
    Tho he sometimes has a habit of coming home with flowers & chocolate even somedays thats not a holiday its a just cause moment :love:

But if we don't get each other anything it usually comes back around the holidays/birthdays where we spoil one another even more :tongue:
  • Trig0r
    Trig0r Posts: 47
    Options
    I'd rather just have a meal at home and a bit of cuddle time once the kids have gone to bed..

My favorite "day" of the year is "Steak & BJ" day..

I love me a good steak..
  • La1210
    La1210 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I'd rather just have a meal at home and a bit of cuddle time once the kids have gone to bed..

My favorite "day" of the year is "Steak & BJ" day..

I love me a good steak..

Now that's funny!!!! Lol
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    I don't think Valentine's Day is just for women, and I think men, like everyone else in the world, enjoy receiving gifts at any time. Do something that makes him feel good ... about himself, about you, and about your relationship. I don't think most men want or expect anything more complicated than that.
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    Why wouldnt they want to get something? a present is a present. and men deserve a day to be showered and pamered for all they do as well........so dont forgett march 14!!!!
  • i_love_vinegar
    i_love_vinegar Posts: 2,092 Member
    Options
    Why wouldnt they want to get something? a present is a present. and men deserve a day to be showered and pamered for all they do as well........so dont forgett march 14!!!!

You celebrate White Day??

As for the question~I always get presents for the guy I love ^^ Tomorrow I bought a stuffed animal, binder, and will get something else for my date ^^ ...we are all different though~i like giving gifts...even though I don't always receive anything back ^^
  • dubw
    dubw Posts: 429
    Options
    <---few sentimental genes. I'll give a card, don't want or expect anything in return. Married 44 years, that process seems to work.
  • 1WorkoutAtATime
    Options
    sure, but depends on what it is. For example flowers are probably not the best gift for a ( most )guys.
  • kb455
    kb455 Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    I think it depends what you get them. I'm sure he'd appreciate some tickets to a sporting event, a new video game (if he's into that) or even you cooking him dinner. Flowers, chocolate or a card.... not so much, IMO.
  • RedHotChiliSteppers
    Options
    Just get me some boom boom
  • foxxybrown
    foxxybrown Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I usually do more for my man than I expect him to do for me. Probably because they least expect it and I feel better giving than receiving. This year I'll make a nice meal, bake a cake, and give him tickets to a comedy show!
  • kyle4jem
    kyle4jem Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    I have always thought of Valentine's Day as more of a woman's holiday. I kind of feel like it's our day to be showered and pampered for all things we do for our men and families. I always get my hubby a card, but is that enough? I don't recall ever getting him, or any man, anything more than that. Is that wrong? For some reason I feel like men really don't expect to receive gifts on Valentine's Day....
    Excuse me... that might be the "Hallmark" definition of Valentine's Day, but ladies.. this is the 21st Century...

I want it all and I want it now :laugh:

To be honest, I'll probably go out for nice meal with the Hubster, but there won't be any gifts, cards yes, but no gifts (only because I haven't found anything that I know he'd want) ... but I'll never say no to a nice, spontaneous gift given with love :heart:
  • Mom2rh
    Mom2rh Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    I would wager the best gift is a pass on buying you a gift.

This is most certainly a "hallmark" holiday...and not even a holiday.
  • grinch031
    grinch031 Posts: 1,679
    Options
    I'm a man and I hate valentine's day. I am mad every time I go to the grocery store and flowers have doubled in price for the special occasion.