My HRM Is a Lie

Options

Replies

• ReverendJim
    ReverendJim Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I would not trust a HRM without a chest strap.
  • Elen_Sia
    Elen_Sia Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    "...by the way, this cake is great, it's so delicious and moist..."

ROFL. :laugh:

Love GLaDOS!
  • kevin3344
    kevin3344 Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    I've never had a HRM but find MFP to be quite accurate. You might want to try entering your minutes under "circuit training" to get an estimate of how many calories you burned and see if it's close.

Btw, I usually burn 100 calories per 10 minutes of working out. So if I run 5 miles it's about 500 cals give or take. 20 minutes of circuit training is about 200, +/- a few. It's possible to burn 1,000 cals in an hour but you'd really have to be working hard!!
  • kim_mc
    kim_mc Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Way off! Gotta get one with a chest strap! Sorry!!! That kinda burn would be nice from that workout though wouldn't it?!!:happy:
  • gleechick609
    Options
    Chest strap is the best route to go. If you can return the wrist HRM, get your money back.

Chest strap is the most reliable and most accurate. I would suggest the Polar FT7 (70.00 on amazon.com + free shipping) or others like the Polar FT4 ($50ish on amazon.com + free shipping). I have the Polar FT7 and I love it!

Good luck!
  • Skeels
    Skeels Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    I did TurboFire HIIT 25 and burned 280 calories yesterday. I use a POLAR FT7 HRM with a chest strap and it is usually on point.

I did 48 minutes of Insanity and got to 600 calories burned and I was pushing it the whole workout.

I think you need to invest in another HRM
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    Sounds too high to me. Unless you're a 500lb dude.
  • ebonyroche
    ebonyroche Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    Help. I think my HRM is giving me false results. It said I burned 1098 calories from Turbo Fire Core (20 Min)+ Turbo Fire Strecth (40 mins)
    That seems to good to be true. I have the New Balance HRM that just goes on your wrist, no chest strip.

Am I wrong, could this be right? (please say its right)

I just purchased a HRM with the chest strap and I am doing Turbo Jam, the burn and 20 min work out and and my HRM said I only burned 259 calories. MFP said I was burning over 700 calories. I have been wondering why I'm not losing any more.
  • mikethom
    mikethom Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I use one with chest strap and I use this site to calculate the burn: http://www.triathlontrainingblog.com/calculators/calories-burned-calculator-based-on-average-heart-rate/ (the HRM gives Bogus results for calorie burn, but I trust it to track my HR)

MIke
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Way wrong.

Just as an aside. I bought a New Balance HRM WITH chest strap and it was way off as well. It was consistently doubled what I know to be semi accurate readings. I took that sucker back.
  • fitnfancy80
    fitnfancy80 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys. I'm tossing that wrist HRM and getting a chest strap one today.

In tears......
  • NeshBeMe
    NeshBeMe Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    You can definitely burn 1000+ cals in an hour. I have. I only have the watch kind (no chest strap). I set my watch with all my personal information (age, height, weight, etc) and it started giving me different numbers than what I was getting prior to setting it. Don't doubt yourself or your workout. Only you know how hard you go at it.
  • DixiedoesMFP
    DixiedoesMFP Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    Sorry, but probably completely wrong. Turbo Fire is a good workout, but that would be an insane burn.
  • Katiemarie4488
    Katiemarie4488 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Need = Chest Strap!
  • cassondraragan
    cassondraragan Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Have you entered your weight and stats correctly? Maybe its basing its calculations on an incorrect weight input. Might want to check it :)
  • hagamivida
    Options
    Chest ones are more accurate.
  • beth0779
    Options
    I have a similar heart rate monitor, and while it runs a little bit on the high side, I check my heart rate every 5-10 minutes during workouts like boot camp or Zumba to be sure the heart rate it displays makes sense. If you know what is typical for you at rest and during exercise, start with comparing that to your monitor's results. Then use an online calculator to determine what the burn should actually be for a person of your body composition at that heart rate and length of time. (Try http://www.shapesense.com/fitness-exercise/calculators/heart-rate-based-calorie-burn-calculator.aspx). I check my heart rate every time I work out and use an average (about 500 calories for a good boot camp class, about 800 for high impact Zumba, about 600 calories for an average Zumba class, etc.). Then, once I know what I likely burn during a certain type of workout, I no longer wear the heart monitor - I use the average readings when I log my workouts.
  • fxst78
    fxst78 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I am a 220(ish) pound male and I can burn over 800 cals in 30 minutes of semi-intense cardio and 30 minutes of heavy lifting.

If I was to do 60 minutes of HIIT I would easily burn over 1000 cals.

I have the Polar FT7 and I find that my calories burnt using the HRM are actually more than what MFP and the machines say!

Maybe I am just lucky, you may be lucky too!

Some people burn a lot more calories than others. I really fell bad for the people who were thinking they were burning 600+ cals only to find out it is closer to 250!

ETA I should also mention that although I am overweight (bordering obese by BMI) I have a VO2Max of 50.
  • Tara4boys
    Tara4boys Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    No chest strap = Phail... sorry! :sad:

Yep
  • gleechick609
    Options
    I would just like to add that it IS possible to burn 1000 calories in an hour. When I run for 60 minutes, I burn close to 900 calories. My average heart rate is usually in the 170's. I do a lot of speed work and interval training.

Calories burned calculates according to the following factors:

Height
    Weight
    Heart BPM / Average Heart Rate

I used to have people tell me that MY burn was off because THEY did the SAME exercise and burned almost 1/2 the calories *I* burned.