Couch to 5k

Options

Replies

• dothompson
    dothompson Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    The only thing I'm hesitant about is the fact that I don't have a treadmill at home, just an elliptical.I'm just afraid that the weather might hinder some runs. Is it possible to do this on an elliptical?

This is a 3 times a week thing. How often does it rain where you live?
  • chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Options
    I think I'm going to have to start over. I was doing well with the first week, and really getting into it. But the last 2 weeks have been a mess with some personal things going on and I haven't been able to work out much. Then, I was going to go tonight and do one of the week one days over again, but my stupid toe is killing me. I think I twisted or sprained my big toe on Friday. I wish I had a good story, but I don't ...I was just chasing my darn cat. :mad: So I don't think I should run on it yet. I think I will have to go with the elliptical instead. I'm bummed.

Vanessa

Vanessa - just start over!! Cats think YOU should go around them - they don't move!

I am on week 8 - next workout (tomorrow) will be workout 2
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    My daughter and I just started that this past week. We've done the first two days so far. I never thought I'd be able to do it but so far I've finished each day. I'm so excited about continuing. We're planning on doing our first 5K in November. Good luck. :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • chrissyh
    Options
    My daughter and I just started that this past week. We've done the first two days so far. I never thought I'd be able to do it but so far I've finished each day. I'm so excited about continuing. We're planning on doing our first 5K in November. Good luck. :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

You can do it! Everytime I see a bigger amout I think there is NO way I can do it but I always do!!! The program is amazing - I am at 2.75 miles at a time this week.
  • mommared53
    Options
    can anyone post it on MFP? I have tried looking it up, but can't find the whole program anywhere :-( I signed up for a 5k in September and sounds like this would be an awesome way to train for it :-D

Oh, wow! Are you doing the one at Alki? My daughter and I were going to do that one but it's on a Sunday and I'd have to miss church so I can't. We're planning on running the 5K at Magnussum Park (or whatever it is) in November. Good luck toyou.
  • angelajiniel
    angelajiniel Posts: 115
    Options
    I just finished Week 5 Day 1 and have to say, the rest of the week is scaring me! The 20 minute run is not making my knees happy about the future...
  • MTGirl
    MTGirl Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Angela - week 5 is a little scary to me also!! I was supposed to do week 4 this week, but am doing a week 3A. I stepped up to run 3/walk 2 x4. Due to a binge last night, I couldn't get the 5 minutes out - that kind of freaks me out about 20 minutes coming soon!!

There may be a week 4A created to span the gap between 4 and 5 :laugh:
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    Finished C25k up this past weekend, hooray! I have since moved on to the freeway to 10k program.
  • angelajiniel
    angelajiniel Posts: 115
    Options
    Angela - week 5 is a little scary to me also!! I was supposed to do week 4 this week, but am doing a week 3A. I stepped up to run 3/walk 2 x4. Due to a binge last night, I couldn't get the 5 minutes out - that kind of freaks me out about 20 minutes coming soon!!

There may be a week 4A created to span the gap between 4 and 5 :laugh:

I thought about reprising week 4 myself...but decided to move ahead and try it. If I don't make it all the way through the week...I won't hate myself :)
  • amylynne26
    amylynne26 Posts: 195 Member
    Options

We sure did.... day 3 (of week 1) is today, and did I mention I've lost 3 pounds since we started? Hmmm? after being at a standstill for.... heck at least a few months. lol I know I know water weight and besides I haven't really been TRYING anyway but hoo boy if I wasn't motivated to continue before that number on the scale this morning sure got me going! :laugh:
  • tbennett
    tbennett Posts: 4
    Options
    i was supposed to start week 6 yesterday but have been sick in bed :cry: hopefully i can start up again tomorrow!
  • fanta014
    fanta014 Posts: 56
    Options
    I won't be at home for the weekend, so I had to do my runs on both Monday and Tuesday although they say to have a day of rest in between runs. I think it wasn't bad though, since I did my first jog on Monday morning and then late on Tuesday evening. I'll be finishing my 3rd week tomorrow evening.

Does anyone have any idea why the left of my calves is being nasty? It hurts when running, even though I do the warm up walk of 5 minutes, and then stretch calves, legs etc. shortly (and after my runs as well). It's not like the middle of my left leg / calf but the area right above my ankle.. I have no idea what it could be :/

For the ones having trouble with knee, try running on softer surfaces (trails, woods..) if possible :smile:
  • mommared53
    Options

We sure did.... day 3 (of week 1) is today, and did I mention I've lost 3 pounds since we started? Hmmm? after being at a standstill for.... heck at least a few months. lol I know I know water weight and besides I haven't really been TRYING anyway but hoo boy if I wasn't motivated to continue before that number on the scale this morning sure got me going! :laugh:

Good for you! I think I see less cellulite on my legs. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • chrissyh
    Options
    today is week 8 workout 2 for me - my hubby is going to jog with me....I love it when he does-I get to show off what I am able to do now!:wink:
  • altazin0907
    altazin0907 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I really think I want to do this...
  • bethrs
    bethrs Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    Hi all.
    You have motivated me to check into this couch to 5k business. Just one question- any chance of integrating my dog into all this running? Maybe even just at first? (and Leaving him out when I start to run longer distances? I take him out for my brief walks/jogs now, but since I haven't really gotten too deep into what this is all about, I don't know if he will fit in...He cries everytime I put on my tennis shoes and plug in my earphones:cry: . I'd hate to leave him on the couch- plus, he's getting a little "fluffy" himself and could definitely use a little bit of a work out himself. :sad:
    Thanks!
    -Beth
    Ps. the more of my posts you read, the more you will learn that my best friend really is my dog. :blushing:
  • thumper44
    thumper44 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    Previously I tried little jogging with my walk.
    Tonight after work I'm going to try this tonight, I downloaded a podcast from the website.
    Week 1D1
  • ksproston
    ksproston Posts: 6,933 Member
    Options
    Today was day 2 for me on the Couch to 5k Challenge. I am LOVING it! Has anyone else tried it and if so what are your thought and or results?

Its what my best friend did and she was able to lose 45lbs. Just curious if other ppl have had those results.

Sorry to bust in. Had to share with you that I'm Kati Maree. How cool! I've never seen another Kati spelled like my name.
  • iRun4wine
    iRun4wine Posts: 5,126
    Options
    Just got back from week 1 day 1 and I loved it- it was tough, but I did it! I feel AMAZING:love: ... very, very sweaty, but amazing :laugh: There are a lot of hills in the area where I live, so it's quite the challenge... I figure if I can do couch to 5k with hills, then a 5k should be a breeze!!
  • iRun4wine
    iRun4wine Posts: 5,126
    Options
    Hi all.
    You have motivated me to check into this couch to 5k business. Just one question- any chance of integrating my dog into all this running? Maybe even just at first? (and Leaving him out when I start to run longer distances? I take him out for my brief walks/jogs now, but since I haven't really gotten too deep into what this is all about, I don't know if he will fit in...He cries everytime I put on my tennis shoes and plug in my earphones:cry: . I'd hate to leave him on the couch- plus, he's getting a little "fluffy" himself and could definitely use a little bit of a work out himself. :sad:
    Thanks!
    -Beth
    Ps. the more of my posts you read, the more you will learn that my best friend really is my dog. :blushing:

I don't see why not- depends on the dog I guess. As long as he is flexible enough to pick up the pace when you run, and slow down when you walk I don't think it would be a problem. I don't have time for a dog, but I always tease my family and friends that I'm going to rent theirs for walks :laugh: