OK, going to try this "eat more" thing

Options
2»

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,692 Member
    Options
    Hi all,

I came to MFP to log my calories and was committed to a 1300 calorie a day plan. My dad lost 70 pounds last year doing this and I thought it seemed like the perfect solution for me..

Here is what has happened instead.

I eat 1300 calories a day from whole, healthy foods. I do 45 minutes on the elliptical a day (during the week) and walk on my "treaddesk" about 8 miles per day. Walking now in fact! On weekends, I relax the plan a bit and have dinner out or pizza once in awhile but not always.

So mathematically the pounds should be falling off, right? While it's true that I have lost weight, it has been an annoying process. I am not super hungry, but I'm wondering if you all have a point about netting negative. Yup, I net negative most days.

Another thing I noticed. I had probably my "biggest splurge" meal on Saturday night. I gained 4 pounds, which I know is part water, etc. etc. But I also got to thinking, perhaps my body is in that starvation mode area and when it thought it hit the caloric jackpot it held on for dear life? Because eating 1300 cals a day isn't netting me the mathematical results that I'm looking for.

So where to start? I burm about 1300 calories walking 8 miles a day and with the elliptical. So maybe up it to 1800 and see what happens? If I ate back all my exercise calories, I would be eating 2500 calories a day . So maybe there's a middle ground. I'm a little nervous, I'll admit, but I want to be healthy about this.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!
    Emily
    Think about it, you eat 1300 then burn 1300. Your net calories for the day is ZERO. So what does the body do? It "rids" itself of energy using tissue to ensure survival. Guess what tissue that is? MUSCLE. So not only now are you going to lose muscle, you end up lowering your metabolic rate even more. Your body composition is also probably holding on to a higher percentage of body fat now too.
    You CANNOT fool the body. It's very smart. Eat back your exercise calories and find out what your true BMR is.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • lisakyle_11
    lisakyle_11 Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    bump.... need to read this.
  • marquesajen
    Options
    If you don't exercise and you eat 1300 that is what your body will use up for normal functions. So if you burn all of those food calories your body is running on air. I try to eat back all of my exercise calories, or at least most of them and I've had great results. For months I was netting way to little and didn't lose a thing. Good luck!
  • CallmeSbo
    CallmeSbo Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a great plan you have there. Good luck!
  • emmaruns
    emmaruns Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies and I officially feel a bit silly for thinking I was smarter than my body :) This made it make a lot of sense to me and hopefully will help others who are eating below their BMR. Essentially, I was like "my body HAS to let go of this weight eventually and I have all this wonderful fuel - fat!"

Um, no.

"You've no doubt heard about a company laying off its employees during tough economic times, right? Well, why are layoffs one of the first things a company does when it's in financial trouble?

Layoffs occur because people are a big drain on resources: salaries...benefits...office supplies...travel all add up to a lot of money. So if you get rid of the people, you immediately reduce expenses in many other areas.

Now think of your body as that company and your muscles are the employees. Muscle is an “active” tissue which means it requires energy to survive. Stored body fat on the other hand is like the bosses nephew...content to just sit there and requires very, very little energy to exist.

By reducing the amount of muscle the body has, it lowers its requirement for energy in the future. In other words, your body has slowed its metabolism - or the rate at which it burns calories (energy)."

Source -
    http://befitandstrong.com//the-only-3-ways-to-lose-body-fat-part-i/
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Here's my example. 1260/day to lose 1 lb/week. 1460 day to lose .5/week.

However, if I don't log every bite and every workout I'm trying to survive on 760/day. Thus, not fueling my Body. That's if I get a good workout in and don't eat back my exercise calories.

What active 35 year old woman can live on 760 calories per day?

Not this one.
  • m_snow
    m_snow Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Definitely eat back your exercise calories! My husband was struggling with losing, while seemingly doing everything right. We got heart rate monitors and realized that he was burning more calories while working out than the machine indicated. He started eating back the appropriate amount and has seen the benefit.
  • emmaruns
    Options
    Also, per the suggestion of one of the posters, I think I'll switch up my morning workout to include resistance training. I'm already burning a ton of calories from walking. The thing is, I don't work up a big sweat walking, but I'm sure I can sweat if the weights are heavy enough!

Thanks seriously to this community for your insight. I know this question gets asked a lot so I was hesitant to post about it. For me, I think I needed to make a written commitment if that makes sense.

Emily
  • StrongGwen
    StrongGwen Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I have a question. Are you saying that you would eat 1300 calories, then burn that many off?

That's exactly right. I burn about 500 calories at the gym on the elliptical and then about 800 (100 or so per mile) walking at my desk. Then I was eating 1300 a day. I set my thing at "sedentary" then added the exercise back in. After that, I completely ignored how many more calories it said to eat and only ate 1300 anyway. I'm stubborn :)

According to MFP, "if every day were like today" blah blah blah I'd weigh like 15 pounds less than I do.

You have to be accurate with MFP or it won't work for you. Your activity level is for sure not "Sedentary!" I have just discovered that I lose MORE weight when my fat intake is higher than I have been keeping it, but I'd never had known if I wasn't using MFP to analyze my foods.

Here is what is working for me on MFP (not my original, got it from another very popular Topic):
    1. use My Goals on MFP to accurately figure your BMR (Basic Metabolic Rate--the calories you would burn if you laid in bed all day, just running your brain and body functions.

2. Accurately enter your activity level into MFP to get your Total Daily Energy Expenditure (TDEE). This gives you the total amount of calories you use in your normal daily activities. If you ate these calories every day and did not exercise, you would maintain your weight.

3. Enter the number of calories that is your TDEE as your Daily Goal, but don't worry! You won't really eat all these, since the goal is to lose weight in a healthy way.

4. Enter EVERYTHING you eat and all the exercise calories you burn each day. What happens is your "Remaining Calories" is actually equal to your calorie deficit for the day.

5. NEVER eat less than your BMR calories, and never have a Deficit (remaining Calories) bigger than 1,000. If it's more than 1,000, eat some more! Aim to eat maybe 100-200 calories more than your BMR every day, but manage your deficit (remaining calories) to keep it high but not too high. less exercise = less food, more exercise = more food.

This keeps your body fueled, but gives you plenty of room to lose weight. You'll have enough energy and will probably lose anywhere from 1/2 to 2 lbs a week without being hungry or in starvation mode.

It should go without saying that all your calories should be good quality and not crap. 300 calories of lean mean gives your body actual nutrition, while 300 calories of chips or candy is just a waste.
    Good luck!
  • SFalconStorm
    SFalconStorm Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Eating more calories recently helped me. I had hit a plateau after a 35 pound loss and thought I might have crashed my metabolism. I have ALWAYS eaten my exercise calories back, but I was averaging 1600-1800 calories a day when my maintenance calories were a little over 3k, so not even as big of a deficit as you were doing.

For one week, I ate an average of 2500 calories a day, only gained .2 pounds, and then went back to a larger calorie deficit the next week, but aiming to get closer to the 2090 that MFP gives me rather than undercutting it and saw a new loss of 4.6 pounds in that week.

Going along with your business example, imagine your body is one of those employees that is threatened with layoff. You have a decent amount of money in savings (fat stores). Your employer decides to bump you back to a lower position/pay grade rather than lay you off, so you have a bit of a pay cut that requires you to pull out of savings to supplement your paychecks. Since this may be a temporary thing, you're okay with doing that and don't necessarily change your spending habits. However, if you're laid off completely, either with half pay (my previous calorie deficit) or no pay (your previous calorie deficit), you're going to scramble to cut as many expenses in your life as possible until you are able to get a new job. I think the body works a little like that. A smaller calorie deficit is fine because that happens every now and again and it knows it'll get what it needs again sometime in the near future, but a severe calorie deficit makes it panic and hold on to what it can. Like the money analogy, eventually, it would spend those fat stores because there would be no other choice, but not before cutting its 'spending' of energy as much as possible.

Hope that makes sense.
  • MissJay75
    MissJay75 Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    I would add too, that as you make these changes, be prepared that it may take some time (a few weeks) for your body to adjust. You may even gain a few pounds at first. Don't let this discourage you. In fact maybe for a month put the scale away, then re-evaluate at the end of that month

If you are eating and exersizing as suggested for your body, and giving it the calories/nutrients it needs, you will be healthier and stronger. And in time you will lose the weight.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    My first week into MFP, I ate back most of my exercise calories and gained a lb. How depressing was that.

That isn't uncommon. You are doing a new routine probably so your body needs to adjust and if you just started working out, it's additional water to repair your muscles.
  • KareninCanada
    KareninCanada Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    My first week into MFP, I ate back most of my exercise calories and gained a lb. How depressing was that.

That isn't uncommon. You are doing a new routine probably so your body needs to adjust and if you just started working out, it's additional water to repair your muscles.

^^^ yup, that.

I gained a pound my second week, without eating additional calories above the previous week's average - the only difference was, I started weights that week.
  • emmaruns
    Options
    Well, and I'm writing this down more for myself than anything, since I'm starting with the increased calories and weights this week, I will give this a few weeks before I doubt it. I might gain at first, but for the long term it will be better.
  • emmaruns
    Options
    OK, it's only been one day but WOW what a difference. This morning 3 of the 4 pounds gained from my dinner Saturday were gone. I bounded - BOUNDED - out of bed and had an awesome workout fueled by oatmeal (wasn't eating pre-workout before).

Next up is getting my sodium down to 1500mg a day. It was eye opening to see that I was probably over 3000mg when you added in added salt on my eggs. Wow.

Anyone nervous about eating more if you are really active, I believe this is the right thing to do. If what you're doing isn't working, what do you have to lose?

Have a great V-Day!

Emily
  • katcod1522
    katcod1522 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    I net 1100-1200 daily. I drink alot of water and run 3 days a week( 2 days are 4 milers and 1 day is long run- like 9) then strength train 3 days a week for 30 min broken into 5 minute intervals. I rest one day.

My opinion only..give your body a rest! Eat 1200 calories 2 days a week..with no exercise or just a walk. See if it helps.