Replies

• skyeashlee
    skyeashlee Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    bump
  • fordster99
    fordster99 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I completely understand. When I started my weight loss journey at the beginning of 2011, I had about 160lbs to lose. I had so many emotions come over me when I saw the scale. First off, I couldn't believe that I was that big and then I started thinking about how much I had to lose. I had to lose an overweight person. I wanted to just grab a box of ding dongs and say forget it. I thought a lot about that and decided that if I didn't make a change now, I never would. I decided to set small goals. My first goal was to change some of the way I fixed my meals. I baked more than fried. I bought low fat mayo and butter rather than fat full. I also decided to incorporate exercise into my lifestyle. I started walking a couple of days a week and could barely walk and then I added more days and added more time and I change my workouts. I also decided not to look at the fact I had 160 pounds to lose. I weighed 298 so my first goal was to be in the 280s. When I met that I changed it to the 270s. I have continued to do that and it really has helped me to not get overwhelmed. I haven't lost it as fast as others but I am ok with that. I don't compare my weight loss with others because this is what works for me and you will find what works for you. When I have bad days or even a bad week, I get on here and read the success stories and it really helps. There are a lot of people out there that have lost a significant amount of weight. Remember, you are not alone. Good luck in your weight loss journey.
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    I've been on a plateau for SIX MONTHS! Hell yes I feel like quitting. But I don't. I guess I'm obsessed? I'm afraid if I quit I'll gain it back. I also know if I quit I will never lose the rest.
  • Dillbrow
    Options
    Think about how long it took you to get their, its gonna take a while to get where you want to be.
  • kittuk86
    kittuk86 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Nop. Never. Not once. I may have felt like, Oh I dont feel like exercising today or I feel like pigging out & I have..... but giving up- NEVER! I cheat, pig out, not exercise & get back to exercising & eating right the very next day.
  • Jessi40
    Jessi40 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    The one thing I notice is that the number that made me cry when I was gaining weight, is the number that I am dancing about already. I have a lot to lose too...

Set small goals and you can do it.

The one thing that helps me most is that I say I don't have to lose weight. I don't really have a weight loss goal.

Here are my goals:

I will look at my kids and tell them how much I love them
    I will log in EVERYTHING I eat
    I will drink 4 - 32 oz bottles of water per day
    I will put on my work out shoes
    I will read something motivation each morning

and for me, if I do those 5 things, I will lose weight....
  • mznisaelaine
    mznisaelaine Posts: 2,262 Member
    Options
    Once I almost completely felt like giving up... But just couldn't. I have days were I might go overboard but I always make sure I get back on track. I don't want to go backwards. I want to live a long and healthy life so that's what I'm striving for
  • farcry66
    farcry66 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Not since using MFP properly.

I have tried various slimming clubs in the UK and have only ever been able to loose between 7-10lbs which is mental as I have well over 100lbs to loose!

Just after starting MFP I got myself a notebook - I like a good notebook me! I split my weightloss down into 15 mini goals, some based around 10% body weight, some around signifigant events, i.e. what I weighed on my wedding day, what I weighed when I met my husband. Everyweek I write in my book and refelct on the week and how it's gone. I also record lbs lost during the week, total lost and to next goal. I never write down the total to loose as it is a big scary number!!!!!

One other thing I do now is set myself 3 activity targets a week, currently it is to swim 2k 3 times in the week, step count of 9500 (I know it should be 10000 min, but I am building up from an average of 5000 a day!!!) and to do an hour of aerobics twice a week. I record this everyday and it really helps me to keep focused even if I have a hard day and just want to eat icecream!

You really have to get your head in the game, this is the first time I have done it with the right frame of mind and so far I have lost 27lbs which, for me and my weightloss history is blimmin' amazing!
  • StevLL
    StevLL Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    Do I think about giving up? The thought crosses my mind and then I ask myself why I started this and then I let the thought of giving up go. Yes we will have some bad days, but if we work at stringing more good days together then bad ones we will be successful and it will feel good. I have 79lbs to go to my first goal and then will set another one for fine tuning. At first it seemed so far away and now it seems so totally doable. I don't deny myself anything, but I earn what I eat and I try to eat as nutrionally sound as possible. You can do this. Change a little at a time and spend a lot of time exploring and educating yourself. There is a plethora of information out there and everyone is different, so find what works for you and then as your body changes your needs will so listen to your body and adjust as you go. Good luck! You can do this!
  • kristina0206
    Options
    bump
  • becalee26
    becalee26 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I've been at this journey for about 8 months and have fallen off the wagon many many times. My weight loss has been slow but I haven't gave up! I've been off the wagon for three weeks now and today is my new day Keep truckin.....it's not a race.
  • Kelekat
    Kelekat Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    What keeps me going (even though it's been a month--I've lost and gained the same two pounds three or four times and have only lost .08 pounds in the last two weeks) is the fact that I know I'm getting healthier just by virtue of the fact that I'm watching what I eat and I'm exercising daily. My stamina has improved tremendously. I kicked butt on a mountain hike on Saturday that would have kicked mine just three weeks ago.

The lack of real weight loss is extremely frustrating--but because you have more to lose than I do, I would recommend that you set smaller goals for yourself. Even though I want to lose 35 pounds, I'm going to be thrilled once I hit 5lbs!
  • ImaSongbird
    ImaSongbird Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I have SO much weight to lose and sometimes I just feel like giving up, pigging out, and forgetting about it. When you feel like this, how do you keep going? What motivates you?
    Heck yeah! I started out at 250, when my size 4X clothes were getting too tight. So, I know what it's like to have a long way to go.

I actually did it in stages. My first goal was to get out of Plus Size clothes. That took 7 months and I stopped trying to lose because I got so tired of feeling deprived. I started eating more freely, but still kept logging my calories. After a couple of years I felt up to the challenge again, so I started cutting calories again and after sveral months got down to a size 14. You cannot imagine how good that felt!

I maintained that for a couple of years, and then my daughter got engaged and I wanted to look nice at her wedding. So, I joined MFP and cut my calorie level again and it's been really tough. The larger you are, the easier it is to lose; the smaller you get the more difficult it becomes because you've already cleaned up your diet and there are no more easy fixes (like, quitting soda or junk food)! But I'm back on track and I've got three more weeks to go before the wedding.

I have found it much easier to do in stages, than trying to lose it all at once.
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    Of course, when I started my journey I felt like it but I said to myself, "ok do you want to keep feeling like you are 60 and only 30 y/o??" My health and health risks were worth fighting for! I would complain, "why is it so easy for some people? They can eat whatever and not gain" But guess what?! I had to learn not to compare my body to anyone elses because my body ismine and unique to me! I have to work it for me!!!!!! What works for you may not work for me. Plus, my goals may not be the same as yours. Why making mini goals and long term goals so important! Keeps you focused and grounded. The mini goals also help you see the light...if you only make long term ones you will get discouraged and give in. Maybe focus on adding one extra serving of veggies per day...change slowly but weekly with new attitudes!

This^^

You can't do it all in one day, a week, or even a month. Make small positive changes, get used to them, then make more. Never stop doing that, even after you reach your goal.
  • mousepaws22
    mousepaws22 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    All the time! I lack will power and motivation even though I am unhappy being this big. I get very easily discouraged but have to keep going. I've started working with a trainer this year and I've found that helps as I have someone else to encourage me and someone else who has to weight me and measure me and if I'm not making progress I'll know about it!
  • KCharron20
    Options
    A year ago I was right where you are. I started at 333. Today I am 239. I have had my days where I think "why am I doing this?" and then I think of all the times when you need to sit in a folding chair and think "will it hold me". Or you have to stay behind while everyone else goes on a carnival ride, because your afraid you won't fit. Believe me I know how you feel. But you know what... You can do it! You just have to believe in yourself. You will be amazed as your journey goes on, of all the things you can do that you think you can't.
  • emyback68
    Options
    I made a set of affirmations on index cards and I read them throughout the day when I feel like my mind is getting off track. Things like "I am getting stronger every day"; "By ___ I will weigh ___"; "Food is Fuel" "Every choice matters". I got the idea from the book The Body Fat Solution. It is supposed to train your unconscious mind to think more positively about food. I think it is working for me -- I know if I am not aware, then I just eat food without thinking. So this helps me be aware.

Don't give up. There is a lot of support here. You will lose the weight and meet your goals in time.

Good luck!
  • PamelaHenD
    PamelaHenD Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    What keeps me going is know that I will feel better when I am to my goal. I am also getting married and want to look wonderful when I finally get into my dress. When I put it on it was a little tight. I hope that the lose of 16lbs will make a difference in how it fits.
  • greeentea
    greeentea Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Just remember that a moment on the lips, forever on the hips.
    You just need to find what motivates you, whether that be a collage of healthy women, writing in a diary, or daydreaming about the future!
  • Knolder
    Knolder Posts: 1
    Options
    I am at that point right now, that is why I came to this page to figure out how to get my motivation back...somehow. I started dieting November 2010 and by October 2011 had lost 80 some pounds with another 60 left to go... I STILL have 60 pounds to go, and to be honest, probably have 80 pounds to go by now.

From October 2011 until now I've been hap-hazardly dieting... doing well for a few weeks, then not doing so well, usually not a major fall off the wagon, but enough that I saw no progress.... I am so TIRED of dieting and not being able to eat certain things (I'm doing the Metabolic Research Center menus made easy plan)... it's been 16 months, and realistically I have at least another 6 months to go..IF I can get it together again, before I am close to my goal. I began at 287 pounds and made it to 205...soooo close, but then the holidays called to me although I made it through the first holiday(2010) just fine without cheating at all, but I thought I could keep it under control when I did my Christmas baking as usual this past Xmas.... chocolate is evil, it calls your name and makes empty promises.

I turned the "F' word in February and my initial goal was to be AT goal weight by then....realistically I could have been had I not sidetracked myself...so now I am feeling old, ugly and still fat and like a total failure. Bi-polar depression surely sucks the big one! Anyways, I KNOW I can do it, as I already lost 80 pounds..so I know I can do it again, and I know I can maintain once I get to goal (as I did so for quite a few months before I just said "f" it)....BUT I KNOW it's gonna be tough and it's not going to happen overnight.

I'd like to hear from those that have made it halfway to their goal (at least 100 pounds to lose or more) and how you made it past the "give up" blues after dieting for a long period of time... I know it is all internal, but any tips would be appreciated. thank you!!