I know its been done before but WHO DOESNT EAT THEIR EXERCIS

Options

Replies

• cfiles
    cfiles Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I don't!!!

For 6 months I've been at 1200 calories and rarely eaten any back (ok maybe 50-100 here and there or if I have an event or something) and I burn between 300-700 a day either doing a cardio class or a run!

I've just started upping my calories to 1300 then 1400 now,as I'm coming close to the end of my weight loss and don't want to have to start eating double once ihit maintenance.

But it's worked for me, I've never really gained, lost every week and certainly not starving! Food diary is open if you need ideas!

I viewed you diary just to try and get some ideas. You didn't get tired of eating almost the same thing everyday? How many pounds have you lost so far and how long did it take you?
  • thejackswild79
    Options
    When I was at 1,200 calories a day, I ate about 50% of exercise calories back. I lost 80 lbs over 6 months. Now I target 1,800-2,000 calories a day regardless of work out and don't worry about eating the calories back. I am still losing consistently, though more slowly but that is by choice since I am eating to support the wicked running habit I picked up. One of the most critical things I learned the hard way in the past 14 months is to be adaptable. Not every rule or guideline applies to every individual and something that worked in the beginning might not work now, and vice versa.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I always ate most of mine, and lost all the weight I wanted to lose in about 7 months. I've been maintaining that loss, but continuing to lower my body fat percentage, for the past 7 months. So even now that I'm not losing pounds, I'm getting smaller and tighter.

I've said it before: It was the missing link for me. Every other time I tried to lose weight, I ate too little, and blamed myself for my lack of progress. I thought I had a bad metabolism. I thought I lacked discipline. I thought I was just stuck at the size I was. In short... I thought there was something wrong with me. But the only thing wrong was my approach.

This time, I never felt like I was dieting, because I wasn't. With the extra calories earned from exercise, I was able to happily eat pretty much whatever I wanted, including pizza, chocolate, bagels, garlic bread, in normal, satisfying portions. I didn't trash my metabolism forcing my body to survive on small amounts of food. Weight loss felt effortless... well, as effortless as it can feel when you go from being a total couch potato to someone who enjoys running and lifting. I look better and feel better than I ever did before in my life.
  • Just_Bethy
    Options
    I didn't for a long time..but after 10 months this is starting to get old..and boring..and I am fed up...Winter isn't helping..so I have lowered my weight loss goal and started eating back some exercise cals...my weight loss has slowed down..but it does that any way..The important thing for me..is to make it so I can do this day....after day...after day..after day...for the rest of my LIFE!!! Not as easy as it sounds....
  • sandown12
    sandown12 Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Thankyou everyone for your replies I never ate back my exercise calories in 2010 I lost 57lbs in 8 months but I worry that if I have a special occassion like tomorrow night valentines meal out I wont have any extra calories if I dont use some exercise calories so I will eat a few as I will have to and make wise choices as we say lifes too short and the next meal out will be May

Thanks again
  • busyPK
    busyPK Posts: 3,788 Member
    Options
    I try and eat as many of them back as possible. :smile:
  • JessJess514
    Options
    Aaagghhh!! Tha explains why I'm fluctuating :(
  • Jenn638
    Jenn638 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I didn't for a long time..but after 10 months this is starting to get old..and boring..and I am fed up...Winter isn't helping..so I have lowered my weight loss goal and started eating back some exercise cals...my weight loss has slowed down..but it does that any way..The important thing for me..is to make it so I can do this day....after day...after day..after day...for the rest of my LIFE!!! Not as easy as it sounds....

right on! i feel the same, i have tried to eat just 1200 a day without eating back calories and working out often. but i quit each time after i lost 30lbs. but i would get so bored of eating the same thing. i would also get headaches and feel off. this time im running the race slowly, the pounds havent been flying off but i feel good, i enjoy what i eat and i am still seeing results. for me this is something i can commit to and do forever, starving myself.. not so much.
  • robot_potato
    robot_potato Posts: 1,535 Member
    Options
    If I am hungry I do, if not I don't. 9.8 pounds in 2 weeks (probably just water weight from my laziness of late) Previous to that it was 46 pounds in 8 months.
  • gazerofthestars
    gazerofthestars Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Depends on whether I am hungry or not. I've lost weight steadily regardless!
  • trhops
    trhops Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I don't. I did a trial and error and found out I lose best when I do not eat exercise calories. I always gained or stayed same when I ate them. Everyone's bodies are different and will lose in different ways. My years of yo-yo dieting may have made me only to lose the way I am now. But I feel great, I eat clean and I workout 4-6 times a week!
  • ShawnaCurley
    ShawnaCurley Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    How do you guys eat only 1200 calories? My limit is about 1700, which is woking for me. I am a newbie here so have enjoyed reading everyones posts! oh and I don't eat my exercise calories back either.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I cut about 1% body fat each month and I eat 3000 calories, so yea I eat mine back. On top of that, my metabolic rate hasn't decreased at all. I lost 16 lbs since I started and went from 18% body fat to 12% body fat.
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    <---- this chick does. My body likes to be fed. I was skinnyfat before
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    Hi I wonder what the weight loss over 4 months is with people who DO eat their exercise calories and people who DONT

????
    I did it both ways; NOT eating back exercise calories cut into my lean body mass big time, and I gained the weight back.

Eating back those calories and maintaining a smaller deficit allowed me steadfast fat loss that brought me all the way to my goals and now beyond.

It's a no brainer.
    If you are using MFP, EAT BACK YOUR EXERCISE CALORIES

If you do not, your deficit is too large, and your results could stifle.
  • Jesea
    Jesea Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I ate mine tonight! My husband brought home Chinese food :)
  • slara75
    slara75 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I'm a newbie. And am confused now. MFP tells me to eat 1220 cals per day. I thought MFP averaged in the exercise cals burned. So if I workout and burn 200 cals I have an extra 200 cals to eat on those days?
  • happyhiram
    Options
    I'm a newbie. And am confused now. MFP tells me to eat 1220 cals per day. I thought MFP averaged in the exercise cals burned. So if I workout and burn 200 cals I have an extra 200 cals to eat on those days?

Quick and easy answer? Yes. Yes you do.
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    Hi I wonder what the weight loss over 4 months is with people who DO eat their exercise calories and people who DONT

????
    I did it both ways; NOT eating back exercise calories cut into my lean body mass big time, and I gained the weight back.

Eating back those calories and maintaining a smaller deficit allowed me steadfast fat loss that brought me all the way to my goals and now beyond.

It's a no brainer.
    If you are using MFP, EAT BACK YOUR EXERCISE CALORIES

If you do not, your deficit is too large, and your results could stifle.

Exactly. My body composition has changed dramatically by decreasing the deficit. Do you care more about quick weight loss, even if it is muscle? All that does is create skinnyfat and a end result that could have been better.
  • Fit_Canuck
    Fit_Canuck Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    I don't. Doctor said no! (She's specialized in weight loss, BTW) Plus experience says I'll gain if I even dare to try.

I'll take your doctor and raise you mine, my kenisiologist and my sports nutritionist who will say you eat your exercise calories if it means you'll stay above your BMR