Strength training and cardio?

Options
2»

Replies

• marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    my trainers have told me to do strength first and then cardio (though you shouldn't be doing strength - at least not strength on the same muscles -every day).

You don't build muscle that fast. but if you do strength first then you burn off calories in your system, and then your cardio burns fat (is the general idea).

You should be doing strength training -- you lose muscle at a ridiculous rate when you lose weight. Plus strength training helps you tone up as you're losing. cardio alone is not good, plus, you need to change up your work out regularly, because your body quickly adjusts to what you're doing to it, and then it starts working more efficiently and therefore doesn't burn enough calories.

I like strength training with a cardio twist - circuit training - or super sets -- so it keeps my heart rate up and I burn more the entire time I'm working out -- I usually do a circuit, and then do cardio on strength days. :)
  • drea0703
    drea0703 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    When I started working out, the trainers at the gym told me to warm up my muscles with 10 minutes of cardio, then strength training and after that cardio again for 20-60 minutes.

If you have a very demanding workout, I would split it up into a two day workout.

Hope, I could help :)
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Hi!
    I'm just a little bit confused and I've heard different things from different people.
    At the gym, in what order should I be doing strength and cardio? Some people have told me doing strength first creates more muscle so you burn more calories overall when doing the cardio afterwards.

You do a 5-10 minute cardio warm up then strength then you do your cardio, at least 20-30 minutes to get a good burn

Please explain a good burn. Look up cortisol and cardio. Also, if done correctly. You can get all the cardio benefits in a intense weight lifting session.
  • Derameth
    Derameth Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Always strength first. It should be the basis of everything in your workout.
    Exactly. You can warm up with some cardio but it is most beneficial to your muscles to do Strength training first. Now..if you really want to do it all, do a 30-45 minute circuit training. Alternating weights and cardio (i.e. steps).
  • CalJur
    CalJur Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    whatever works best for you. i prefer cardio before strength training but most people do it the other way.
  • chachita7
    chachita7 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    I always do strength training first... I am a sweaty mess (not complaining) after cardio. I do warm up by running on the treadmill for about 5 mins before starting my lifting though.
  • TuDominicano
    TuDominicano Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    All depends on the person. It works well for some and not for others. My brother does before and after. I do after my strength training, but its always lite.