My boyfriend thinks MFP is for girls only

Options

Replies

• kristarablue
    Options
    So then he has not seen all of the crazy hot men on here???? Hmmmm...he may have to re-evaluate..lol
  • kristarablue
    Options
    Here is my before and after and I owe a lot of my success to this website...ask him if he really thinks this is just for girls.

270536_2187816462871_1470861817_32457294_7313807_n.jpg
    268801_2187685059586_1470861817_32457050_7695836_n.jpg268922_2186574471822_1470861817_32455208_5208835_n.jpg

HOT.

You may want to add a SUPER before that HOT for this one...lol
  • extra
    extra Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I agree that his comment may not have been the brightest and that he is probably using it as an excuse to not make a healthy change. However, one thing that is important for you to keep in mind is that when it comes to fitness and being healthy, you need to come first and do what you can to focus on you. As you continue to stick with the healthy habits that you have developed, he will hopefully see how important it is to you and may come around to using the same strategies as you. Don't push him too much about him using MFP. He has to want to be healthy and want to make a change in his life. Part of that may be helping him find a motivator. Until he is ready, the best that you can do is show him your successes and the joy you get out of being healthy.
  • Macrocarpa
    Macrocarpa Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    He's wrong...we may be under-represented in the message boards but there are a hell of a lot of men on here.
  • bjfrezell
    Options
    My husband and I are both using MFP and we're both losing weight. It helped when I showed him how easy it was to use MFP. Plus it helps us that we are both eating the same things for meals. It also might help when he sees how well you do by using MFP?
  • csrussell
    Options
    I am sure if you have gotten him to look at the replies to your post, he now knows that MFP isn't just for women. But, MFP really isn't the point. The point is to set goals and track performance towards those goals. It is no different than work or anything else that one wants to achieve. As my boss always says "what gets measured, gets done". So, he can use MFP, any one of many other websites or smartphone apps, an excel spreadsheet, or pen and paper. Just as long as he is setting goals and working towards them. MFP just happens to be a very good tool for that measurement.

BTW, I am a guy and I have used this or another similar website for the last seven years. I don't have a lot of weight to lose, but I use the tools to keep the weight off and to keep track of my fitness.

Good luck to you both.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    Tell him the women post pictures in bikinis and undies. That should get him here.
  • naastrodamus
    Options
    I've only just started, but I'm finding that all the calorie counting and entering in meals and checking charts and stuff is REALLY satisfying the geek in me... it's like a fantasy baseball league, only I'm losing weight doing it instead of gnawing on Cheez-its all night while I pour over my stats.
  • dinosnopro
    dinosnopro Posts: 2,179 Member
    Options
    I'd say it's a 60%women 40% men split, but tell him if he puts a skirt on when he logs in, it will make it ok
  • baddbob
    baddbob Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Yep. Tell him Badd Bob says it's only for girls. Tell him this Biker has lost 27 pounds and I don't think I ever remember someone calling me a girl. LOL
  • baddbob
    baddbob Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Sneak healthy things into his diet. Go for "romantic" walks together or go shopping but park far away from the store or walk around a mall.

'Cuz guys love romantic walks and shopping at the mall? Whaddaya think guys? More romantic walks and mall shopping? (Sorry. I couldn't resist. LOLOL)

Yeah.....I'm thinking using the shopping and long romantic walks is the right "hook." You do that and I'll just keep riding my Hog. Tell me how it works out for ya!!!
  • monkeymouse74
    Options
    Well, it was a man that told me about this site (He's my pharmasist who lose 30kg's useing it)! I think he's just not ready to make the change, after all, it takes balls!..:-D
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    he's probably about the same overweight as I was before I started MFP (40 or so pounds overweight) and since I've lost almost 15 pounds, I'm trying to get him to do it too and he keeps telling me "that's for girls"

It's really annoying because I want him to be healthy. He's already got back problems and has trouble sleeping.

Obviously MFP is gender neutral, but it sounds like there's a bigger issue here. If he's not ready to lose the weight, you can't make him. I know you want him to be healthy, but he has to want it for himself. I used to get annoyed when my husband first started losing weight and offering suggestions to me before I asked. I know I'm overweight, and I'm losing it now, but I am doing it in my own way and I am not following his same methods. He's proud of me, but I'm doing this for myself.

We all want to share our success with everyone around us, but we can only give if someone is willing to receive. Let him do his own thing and just wait for him to ask before you offer too much advice. Otherwise, you'll be met with silly excuses like, "that's for girls".
  • 10acity
    10acity Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    Here is my before and after and I owe a lot of my success to this website...ask him if he really thinks this is just for girls.

268801_2187685059586_1470861817_32457050_7695836_n.jpg268922_2186574471822_1470861817_32455208_5208835_n.jpg

HOT.

uh.. yeeeah.
  • KandieLantz
    KandieLantz Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Obviously he's never seen the HOT @$$ MEN on this site!! Oh, wait... on second thought.. maybe you should let him think it's just for girls! LOL
  • slayerdan
    Options
    Then tell him he will fit right in.
  • xYumzx
    xYumzx Posts: 953 Member
    Options
    he's probably about the same overweight as I was before I started MFP (40 or so pounds overweight) and since I've lost almost 15 pounds, I'm trying to get him to do it too and he keeps telling me "that's for girls"

It's really annoying because I want him to be healthy. He's already got back problems and has trouble sleeping.

I want my friends and family to join to, but ive finally realize you cant make them want to do it. You just have to be there for them when they decide its time.
  • jenniebean1680
    jenniebean1680 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    BF needs to get his head outta his butt! Unfortunately, so does mine (and he has the same issues, except he's more overweight than I am), and I've learned that I can't nag him into doing anything like this.

Maybe when he sees your progress he'll feel differently, but till then, keep on doing what you know works for you. Perhaps your success will be the best "I told you so" lol.
  • BaconMD
    BaconMD Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    I have a girl's name, but I've got man parts.
  • DaddyofMEA
    Options
    I think he's just not ready to make the change, after all, it takes balls!..:-D

This was spot on.

Most guys who don't want to do something with there significant other will use the "its for girls" excuse.