Home exercise to work on the arms...?

Options
2»

Replies

• tipsymoth
    tipsymoth Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Fantastic, hadn't even thought about dips. I've been doing some pressups as part of 30DS. I'll definately up those, the suggestion of doing them during ad breaks is a great one.

I'll look up resistance bands, I have seen those in the shops I think but not quite sure how they work. I have a really bad allergy to latex though which might scupper that one, i shall check what they are made from.

Skipping! Not done that since I was a kid. I was considering hula hooping for my tummy so I could have a retro workout!! Great idea, thanks.

And curls whilst I wait for the microwave and stuff.

I'll bear that book in mind. Looks really hard core!!!

I have no imagination to come up with this by myself, thanks so much!!!

(Sorry I couldn't quote/thank everyone, loads of responses popped up really quick after my bump. Thanks you.)
  • sofartogo
    Options
  • jnorr993
    jnorr993 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I have a pull-up bar that can be put in a doorway (and easily removed and stowed if you don't want that constant "gym" look in your living space). I also have a pair of rings that I can slip through there where I can do some other things such as suspended push-ups, lat-pulls, etc... with more of a TRX kind of feel.

Obviously plain 'ole pushups would work just as well also. But I always hate doing those for some reason... :grumble:
  • CatseyeHardcast
    CatseyeHardcast Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    It is hard to isolate a body part for weight loss....that just don't happen. You can do exercises to strengthen arms but visible results will take a while (usually more prominent as fat % drops). Not putting a downer on it at all. A fit healthy body takes a long time and it is well worth pursuing.

Best arm exercises are push ups and pull ups. Simple, ugly but fantastic. (They also work other area of your body so that is a bonus right?)

Push ups. If not strong start on wall pushups, gradually decreasing your angle, then to pushups from knees or "girl" pushups (I hate that term) and then finally to pushups from toes.

Pull ups. Don't be scared. Door way pull up bars are cheap and well worth it. Start off with a lying pull up. Feet under your table and pulling yourself up on the edge. When moving to the bar use a chair to assist you. Try doing the just downward motion, controlled. (there are plenty of websites on how to do various assisted pull ups )

Don't let he hard exercises frighten you. They are hard because they work.

Good luck
  • sammys1girly
    sammys1girly Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    one word hun...KETTLEBELL...I have done amy bentos 3in1 beginning routine 2x today and once on sat i think it was. I feel sooooo invigorated after while I do lift weights as well her routine really work the triceps. Amazon people didnt rate it very well they dont know what they are talking about!!! The chick is awesome! youtube has a sample http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAtxOTcN4bk

I agree...love her workouts! Also, pushups and dumb bells are great to do at home.
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    It is hard to isolate a body part for weight loss....that just don't happen. You can do exercises to strengthen arms but visible results will take a while (usually more prominent as fat % drops). Not putting a downer on it at all. A fit healthy body takes a long time and it is well worth pursuing.

Best arm exercises are push ups and pull ups. Simple, ugly but fantastic. (They also work other area of your body so that is a bonus right?)

Push ups. If not strong start on wall pushups, gradually decreasing your angle, then to pushups from knees or "girl" pushups (I hate that term) and then finally to pushups from toes.

Pull ups. Don't be scared. Door way pull up bars are cheap and well worth it. Start off with a lying pull up. Feet under your table and pulling yourself up on the edge. When moving to the bar use a chair to assist you. Try doing the just downward motion, controlled. (there are plenty of websites on how to do various assisted pull ups )

Good luck
    Yeah, that. I amend my last post... listen to that guy.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    bicep curls
    hammer curls
    shoulder presses
    tricep dips
    push ups

those are the basics. you get biceps, shoulders, tris, and chest.
  • BellydanceBliss
    Options

me too i have just started and i am like addicted lol have a very hard time waiting a day in bettween so i did my video thing 2x today
  • tipsymoth
    tipsymoth Posts: 28 Member
    Options

Good luck

Oh, I get that what will cure my arms is getting rid of the weight, but it does no harm to help tone what is under there does it? And then I can have a "ta-da" moment when a pair of sinewy madonna arms appear....:wink: (In all seriousness, I'm not wasting my time trying am I??)

It is a long time since I have done a pull up. Back in the day I was pretty good at pull ups. I used to do judo and go to the mens gym, I just had to get one of the blokes to lift me up to the bar because I was too short to reach. I was 16 then though. I'm more than that these days :laugh: But now I hang out at the kids park most days... I can sneakily try and do it again down there. Thanks for the building up tips though, never heard of a laying down one.

I'll look up kettlebells, Ive heard of those but never seen one.

The skinnym link looks fab, I have bookmarked it, thanks.
  • BellydanceBliss
    Options
    one word hun...KETTLEBELL...I have done amy bentos 3in1 beginning routine 2x today and once on sat i think it was. I feel sooooo invigorated after while I do lift weights as well her routine really work the triceps. Amazon people didnt rate it very well they dont know what they are talking about!!! The chick is awesome! youtube has a sample http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAtxOTcN4bk

I agree...love her workouts! Also, pushups and dumb bells are great to do at home.

once I have upped my act a bit so I am able to do 25lb i want to try out the goddess kettlebell video i cant remember the title
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    Push-ups. There are many different variations that will work on different parts of the arms. But they are definitely the best over-all option (plus you get the additional ab work too). Dips are good too, you can do these on a chair.

+1
  • BellydanceBliss
    Options
    Also my recommendation for kettlebells is try a bunch of different brands. I found some on ebay i took a chance on and i really like the feel of these the best. My brand is body sport.
  • Slimtara
    Slimtara Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Yes, I am on day 3 of 30 day shred (£3.99 for level 1 on Itunes to view on a laptop somewhere) and my arms are sore. It must do some good.
    Good luck!
  • michael300891
    Options
    Push-ups. There are many different variations that will work on different parts of the arms. But they are definitely the best over-all option (plus you get the additional ab work too). Dips are good too, you can do these on a chair.

This for triceps, Biceps are more difficult at home, perhaps invest in a pullup bar (about £10 and can go on any door frame without damage) and try doing some underarm chinups - or if this is to difficult just practice hanging for as long as possible. Or alternatively get some dumbbells and do bicep curls.

Remember tho, two thirds of the arm muscle is triceps so if you cant be bothered (dont blame you) with investing in anything then just go with jadedones recommendation which will help build muscle and tone your arms up. Hope this helps.
  • marywilsoncline
    marywilsoncline Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I run in place and move my arms in front of me like in a swinging motion and then in front of me straight out like over my head and back down to my sides and alternate between the two ways every five minutes while I am running. Plus I do push ups everyday :wink:
  • mazza2marilyn
    Options
    bump