Butter Substitute?

Options

Replies

• Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    For anybody interested, copy and paste the following into your browser, it give information regarding butter, margarine and the light versions. The pros and cons.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/butter-vs-margarine/AN00835

Bear in mind light butter is not fake nor is it substandard.
  • VeganInTraining
    VeganInTraining Posts: 1,321 Member
    Options
    For people with high colesterol I highly recommend cardio choice light from Walmart. I had very high cholesterol (which is weird for a vegetarian ) and md wanted to put me on meds......to which I said Hell No. I changed a few small things, and I went from 249 to 203 (cholesterol) in 6 months by diet and exercise alone! Cardio Choice contains flax and omega 3's......it is very good for you!

Good to know, I'm contemplating vegan but butter is the one thing I can't fathom replacing....mostly cause all of the substitutes are just terrible for you!
  • acstansell
    acstansell Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    We went to all butter in our house to get ride of the chemicals and additives.

Using a butter bell was a great discovery to help make it easier to use with toast and such.

I have been on the search for a local dairy that makes butter. Even our local milk dairies sell mass produced butter in their stores.

If you purchase heavy cream from your local dairy it is very easy to make your own butter. :flowerforyou:

WAIT! WHAT? HOW??? Sending you a friend request...

A friend of mine has a butter bell and she loves it!
  • Karmynzahringer
    Karmynzahringer Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I have to agree with everyone else. We just make sure to get unsalted (last time we figured out if we get the whipped it has salt, although the same brand in sticks doesnt.... and make sure its not "ultra pasteurized". The real thing is way better for you than all the chemicals!
  • Karmynzahringer
    Karmynzahringer Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Oh and I saw someone else mentioned coconut oil, I love that stuff! Its very light and has a wonderful taste when used for cooking. Once in awhile if we decide to cheat and make chicken strips or something like that, we will use the spelt flour, and a little bit of coconut oil to fry them in the skillet and it makes me feel like even though I am eating "junk food" I am not going off track too far!
  • Anet47
    Anet47 Posts: 24
    Options
    Another vote for real butter: No hydrogenated anything, tastes terrific, and worth the calorie sacrifice. Kerrygold, Lurpak, and Plugra especially make the calories worthwhile: These are real European cultured butters (Plugra is from Pennsylvania, but it's indistinguishable from Lurpak) and they taste miles better than Land o'Lakes, which always tastes like fridge to me. They cost more, but you're not going to be using a lot of them, right? :wink:
  • Cheryl943
    Options
    We are using organic coconut oil in place of some of the butter we were using. I agree that the real stuff is always a better choice than the processed stuff. Good luck.
  • beckys19
    beckys19 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    The purpose of this thread was not really to debate Canola Oil but the wheterh or not a substitute for butter is nessesay. You may choose Canola Oil and that is your right and privilege. I don't and that is mine. As for some of the material you presented, I've included a link from Canolainfo.org. It states that Canola in indeed derived from a plant that was "developed from traditional rapeseed" and bred to have lower levels of erucic acid (can you say genetically engineered?).

<snip>
    http://www.canolainfo.org/canola/index.php?page=6
    Point taken. I'll probably swing by the organic section next time I need to fill up on canola oil and see if I can find the cold processed version. Nutritional baby steps for me, eating healthy can be expensive!

To be fair, corn and other oils are also processed similar to canola. And I don't know if breeding the rapeseed is any worse than breeding for traits in any plant since Gregor Mendel started playing with peas (and probably others unknowingly doing the same before him). I didn't find anything that pointed to gene splicing, which I am not a fan of.

My apoligies for threadjacking, I let myself get irked by a post.......thanks for your info though, I didn't really consider the extraction method of the oil before this.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    I am a big fan of Land o'Lakes sweet cream salted butter. Of all the adjustments I've made toward a more healthier lifestyle, I just can't seem to get myself to not cook with real butter. I just think that real butter tastes better.

So, could anyone please recommend which butter substitute is the most like real butter but is lower in calories and fat?
    What do you all use? Thanks!

Butter is the healthy option. Those fake margarines are not healthy for you and not much better than the container they come in.

Keep eating your butter. Natural, whole and natural food.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    "To be fair, corn and other oils are also processed similar to canola."

Oh, I completely agree!! I won't go near those either. Just not worth the risk to me and there are so many good alternatives. Olive Oil, Coconut Oil, Palm oil, Sesame OIl, and nut oils and of course the star of this thread, good old Butter! I'll cut a few calories in other areas or workout a little more rather than save a few cals with these items mentioned above!

Following this fats plan in my diet and incorporating regular exercise has given me good results. I am a 60 year old man and my
    chol/hdlc ratio is 3.1 (good is = to 5 or less) and my hdl is 62 (good is 40 or greater) and my ldl is 118 (good is 130 or less). I have a far lower than average risk for heart disease than average. (sorry if this comes off as bragging. I am kind of proud of achieving this though. Believe me, my numbers a few short years ago were not anything like this!)
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    "To be fair, corn and other oils are also processed similar to canola."

Oh, I completely agree!! I won't go near those either. Just not worth the risk to me and there are so many good alternatives. Olive Oil, Coconut Oil, Palm oil, Sesame OIl, and nut oils and of course the star of this thread, good old Butter! I'll cut a few calories in other areas or workout a little more rather than save a few cals with these items mentioned above!

Following this fats plan in my diet and incorporating regular exercise has given me good results. I am a 60 year old man and my
    chol/hdlc ratio is 3.1 (good is = to 5 or less) and my hdl is 62 (good is 40 or greater) and my ldl is 118 (good is 130 or less). I have a far lower than average risk for heart disease than average. (sorry if this comes off as bragging. I am kind of proud of achieving this though. Believe me, my numbers a few short years ago were not anything like this!)

I don't touch those vegetable oils either. YUCK.

Pumpkin and hemp seed oils are awesome!!
  • iuew
    iuew Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    i use Brummel and Brown yogurt margarine in place of butter. haven't tried to cook with it, though.
  • luckygirl007
    luckygirl007 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    We are using organic coconut oil in place of some of the butter we were using. I agree that the real stuff is always a better choice than the processed stuff. Good luck.
    [/quote

Unrefined organic coconut oil is far from "junk". It is a MCT oil, meaning medium chain trigliceride which is one saturated fat that is used by the body for energy and not stored as fat.

It taste great and sustains high temperatures for cooking. I use it in oatmeal, spread it on toast, roasted vegetables, potatoes... in any recipe that calls for butter or oil.

Yes you probably will have to make a trip to the health food store to purchase it but it is worth it!! Barleans and Jarrow are two really good brands.

Not to mention it is also great to just rub all over your body!!!
  • Di3012
    Options
    I am a big fan of Land o'Lakes sweet cream salted butter. Of all the adjustments I've made toward a more healthier lifestyle, I just can't seem to get myself to not cook with real butter. I just think that real butter tastes better.

So, could anyone please recommend which butter substitute is the most like real butter but is lower in calories and fat?

Butter is the healthy option. Those fake margarines are not healthy for you and not much better than the container they come in.

They are not fake anything.

Butter is not good for you either, it is bad for the heart, didn't you know?
  • mmapags
    Options

No, I don't know that becuase there is evidence that in reasonable amounts, it's not true. See the attached comprehensive article on satruated fats with multiple built in links to the research.
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/saturated-fat-healthy/#axzz1mNJkuneS
  • Di3012
    Options

No, I don't know that becuase there is evidence that in reasonable amounts, it's not true. See the attached comprehensive article on satruated fats with multiple built in links to the research.
    No, I guess many people do not know it is not good for the heart. Saturated fats are bad for the heart due to the cholesterol.

Besides which, the amount of calories in butter is astronomical.

Wow all this for a little bit of crap on one's toast ;)
  • mmapags
    Options

No, I guess many people do not know it is not good for the heart. Saturated fats are bad for the heart due to the cholesterol.

So I'm guessing you didn't read the article or the links? Specifically the link that talked about the relationship of saturated fats and high triglycerides? And that dietary saturated fat in the absence of high triglycerides shows no indication of increased heart disease? And that the body stores excess glucose calories as....guess what? Saturated fat!! I guess not.

Feel free to disagreee if you've got credible evidence.
  • Di3012
    Options

So I'm guessing you didn't read the article or the links? Specifically the link that talked about the relationship of saturated fats and high triglycerides? And that dietary saturated fat in the absence of high triglycerides shows no indication of increased heart disease? And that the body stores excess glucose calories as....guess what? Saturated fat!! I guess not.

Did you read the link I put in earlier on? No, you didn't did you. Doesn't matter.

You stick with butter.
  • mmapags
    Options

Did you read the link I put in earlier on? No, you didn't did you. Doesn't matter.

You stick with butter.

Actually I did. I don't agree with it. This is one Doctor's opinion without much research to back it up cited. Also I found this quote interesting
    "But not all margarines are created equal — and some may even be worse than butter. In general, the more solid the margarine, the more trans fat it contains "
    The article I gave the link for contains multiple links to scholarly research. Now you may not agree with it and that is your choice. But your statement that butter is bad for the heart is highly debatable.

I will stick with butter, thank you. Based on my understanding of the data and my cholesterol numbers that i posted earlier, I think I might be doing something right! All the best on your journey.
  • angiemartin78
    angiemartin78 Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I agree with the previous poster. There really is no need for a substitute. You aren't going to save many (if any) calories, and most butter alternatives are way worse for you than the real thing. Fats aren't necessarily the boogieman that they have been made out to be. If you like butter, then have it. (In moderation.) Olive oil and coconut oil are also great choices.

I grew up eating Country Crock, and all that time I really was under the impression that it was "healthier" for you than regular butter. I couldn't even eat regular butter because it tasted weird to me. Then I started learning more about the differences between real foods and highly manufactured products. I slowly switched to using real butter. Now if I eat margarine I can practically taste the chemicals. It's really gross. Another bonus is that since real butter is pretty expensive, you're likely to use less of it. (Well, this was a bonus back before I started counting calories. Now I'm more likely to use less of it simply because I don't want it to take up too much of my daily calorie budget. LOL.)

^^^THIS!!