New Tattoos and sweat...

Options
Yesterday, I got my first and long awaited tattoo...Yay! :) However, it's a back piece and my husband who has 4 tattoos himself says it's probably not a good idea to workout a lot bc the sweat can irritate the tattoo, not to mention my sports bra would rub too. I'm at a loss...I love the tattoo and don't want to ruin it or end up with an infection, but I don't want to not workout because of it...Any suggestions??

Replies

• summergirl73
    summergirl73 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I also have one on my back (not New) and could not wear a sport bra Maybe try working out at home no bra. No one will see the jiggle. :)
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    Keep it really well moisturized! Perhaps laying gauze over it between your sports bra and skin. Mine is a "tramp stamp", didn't have to worry too much about clothing rubbing too much. I never had a problem with the waist bands rubbing too much.
  • jwerman
    jwerman Posts: 176
    Options
    I also have one on my back (not New) and could not wear a sport bra Maybe try working out at home no bra. No one will see the jiggle. :)
    LOVE THIS^^^ LOL!! I actually suggested this lastnight and I'm thinking it may be my only option until I'm okay enough to wear the sports bra!
  • summergirl73
    summergirl73 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    If the tat in your profile picture is the one it is beautiful btw
  • porffor
    porffor Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    LOVE THIS^^^ LOL!! I actually suggested this lastnight and I'm thinking it may be my only option until I'm okay enough to wear the sports bra!
    I'd go with this.
    I had a lower back tat imprint onto my car seat through a blouse - still has parts faded.
    Love your tat!
  • jwerman
    jwerman Posts: 176
    Options
    If the tat in your profile picture is the one it is beautiful btw
    Yep that's it! Thank you!! It's an oak tree with an acorn, very symbolic to me especially on this journey.
  • kperk91
    kperk91 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I only have a small one on my wrist so I'm not a pro in the situation but my best friend has one on her shoulder blade and had to tape saran wrap over it to protect it from shirts.

I'd suggest light workouts at home that aren't too strenuous so sweat doesn't affect it :)
  • MyTime1985
    MyTime1985 Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I just scheduled a half sleeve and I was hoping working out wouldn't hurt it once it's completed. I think it would take a lot more than sweat to ruin a tat though. I'm sure it will be fine.
  • jaxdiablo
    Options
    You should take a 2-3 day break from working out right after you get a tattoo. At least anything high impact that's going to make you sweat a lot. It can irritate the skin, and potentially push some of the ink out. After you get past that you are going to need to wear clothing that does not rub or can not pull the scabs on the tattoo. Basically you don't want holes in the ink (which will happen if scabs are removed before they fall out naturally). Biggest piece of advice HYDRATE!!!! The more water you push through your system the better your healing will be. I've got quite a few tattoo's, 1/2 sleeve, both calves, ankle, forearm, shoulder, tricep. I'm going in to get a sleeve done in a few weeks. I've talked to my artist about all of these issues and these are his recommendations.
  • Dtho5159
    Dtho5159 Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    Id protect it somehow.. I got my 3rd tat last Thurs on my forearm and I couldn't workout over the weekend because it was too tender to bend my arm. I would workout braless if you can.
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    Your best bet is to give the artist a call, but I would definitely avoid the bra straps until it is completely healed. When I got my shoulder tattoo, I wore racer back bras and tanks until it was completely healed.
  • trixirn
    trixirn Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I'd go with this.
    I had a lower back tat imprint onto my car seat through a blouse - still has parts faded.
    Love your tat!
    The angel on my calf imprinted itself on my white sheets the first night. No noticeable damage to tattoo.
  • Hj723
    Hj723 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Always ask your artist mama, it's like your doctor for tattoos.

I've worked in tattoo shops and can tell you the sports bra isn't a good idea. Leave the jiggling at home (lol... I loved that comment). Be careful doing sit ups and crunches also. As for the sweat... sweat happens. Just wash it really well with Dial soap (the orange unscented stuff) when you're done.
  • jenniebean1680
    jenniebean1680 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Take a day or 2 off if you want, but I have worked out w/ many tattoos, some on spots that rub (bra straps, waistband, etc). At the advice of my tattoo artist and friend, I just make sure to at least wipe off the tattoo as soon as I can w/ a damp paper towel after my workout. Sweat won't hurt the ink, but you don't want it staying on there too long, and gyms are a breeding ground for germs.

And of course a shower ASAP after is ideal, but a wipe-down w/ a wet paper towel immediately post-workout will tide you over for the ride home to your shower.
  • lgwmab
    lgwmab Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Be careful, I would suggest light workouts, to avoid excessive sweat. I have a fairly large one on the inside of my right ankle, I had done in the summer. I'mnot sure, what exactly my error was, I think I ended up getting sweat in it, and ended up with it infected! I did catch it right away, and it healed up fine.
    The tat is awesome!
  • krisfal
    Options
    I got a foot tattoo the day before running a 10k race, I put A&D ointment on it and covered it with saran wrap before putting my shoe on, then removed the shoe and washed the foot immediately afterwards and then used the A&D ointment again (I feel this is the best for tattoos). I had no adverse issues from the run with the brand new tattoo (and it was pouring rain so my shoes were soaked by the end). I feel the combination of the ointment and saran wrap prevented any friction/rubbing.

Also had eyebrows tattooed and worked out right after, tons of sweat, just washed right after. no issues.

I feel as long as you can solve the friction/rubbing of the sports bra the sweat for a short time will not be a problem.
  • NemesisJRM
    NemesisJRM Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Personally I would recommend waiting till the scab has formed and then workout bra less, clothes rubbing will lift the colour out it, even though its grey scale. It will fade if you abuse it to much. Give it a few days and then when you do work out, pad it dry don’t rub it, make sure you put some E45 or other type on it at least 30mins before you train. My advice comes from having 8 and also my friend being a tattooist :-D
  • xcrushx28
    xcrushx28 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I had to take 8 days off when I got my last tattoo. You definitely don't want to sweat or anything. Make sure you clean it a bunch with anti bacterial soap the first couple of days. My tattoo artist told me 5x a day for the first two days and make sure to pat dry with clean paper towel and put on the ointment. That's what I did and the tattoo healed perfectly.

I'm not female and don't wear a bra, but If I did I would probably go bra-less for a while.
  • tracysway
    tracysway Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I got my tatoo on my rib cage and my sports bra sat right over it. I ran on the treadmill that night. Just put neosporin on it before and after. I did not have any issues.
  • janalayn
    janalayn Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    Keep your tattoo very greasy if you are going to exercise to limit the effect of sweating and to keep it from scabbing. My tattoo artist recommends Aquaphor. (i worked for a dermatologist who recommended this for wound care as well to prevent scarring). You definitely do not want anything rubbing on it during the healing process. It is not a good idea to cover it with gauze. Always wash it with soap after workouts and reapply Aquaphor. (I have two big tattoos, my daughter has 3 including a full back piece, and my BF has 7.)