banana's every day, good or bad?

Options

Replies

• MoLove2025
    MoLove2025 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I love banana's i always keep them around......the sugar in a banana is nothing to worry about i read about the recent studies on Glycemic Index (GI) and banana's are low with a GI of 55....this means that they wont make your blood glucose levels rise very high for very long. So they are providing you with a sustained energy.

The potassium found in banana's is essential in building muscle and essential to their proper function. It also can help prevent your muscles from cramping during a workout.

So go ahead and enjoy that BANANA!!!

Read more: Potassium & Weight Loss | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/about_5371921_potassium-weight-loss.html#ixzz1mO4SugKq

14660108.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    lol I am sorry you don't have any education... and having a degree in exercise science and nutrition is not bro science as you would call it... sorry you are a bro with no education, maybe since you do not know much about nutrition you should stay out of these forums
    bananas are awesome!! Especially for a pre-workout meal to give you energy while you work out, since it is a simple carb and can give you instant energy, and also afterwards with a protein shake to restore the glycogen stores in your muscles to give your muscles the energy to perform again the next day.... since it is fast absorbing it can get into the broken down muscle quick right after you workout.. also will help facilitate the absorption of the protein into the muscle if used in conjunction with protein right after a workout :P

More bro science from Glen, you're on a role today

Carbohydrate does not augment exercise-induced protein accretion versus protein alone. Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2011 Jul;43(7):1154-61

CONCLUSIONS:

Our data suggest that insulin is not additive or synergistic to rates of MPS or MPB when CHO is coingested with a dose of protein that maximally stimulates rates of MPS.

And do we want to talk about your bro tastic responses in the IF thread? Or maybe your views on carbs?
  • amyofftherecord
    amyofftherecord Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    One of the things that bugs me about MFP is it doesn't differentiate between added sugars and natural sugars. I tend to ignore the sugar count here because it lumps it all in. I know I shouldn't OD on sugar each day even if it's natural, but don't treat it like an absolute cap on your intake if you're getting it from fruit or other natural sources. 36g from pop, cookies, and candies would be a problem. Bananas, not so much.
  • kunibob
    kunibob Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Bananas will kill you. It has been proven that everyone that has ever eaten a banana ends up dying.

Bananas: The Silent Killer.
    This is what I tell myself when it comes to fruits (Banana being the top one since its my favorite fruit outside of mangos)

Pros:

Good fiber
    Curbs hunger
    Curbs sweet tooth
    Ideal snack food
    Gives me the monkey powa!
    ITS ALL NATURAL FOOD (this is a big thing for me, I dont deny anything thats natural)
    Source of good sugar preventing me from chasing after bad sugar
    Good source of potassium though not the best

Cons:
    High calories (about 110 calories. This is still half the calories of a candy bar btw)
    High in sugar

All in all, I think bananas or any other fruit is amazing. It satisfies my inner child and prevents me from making unhealthy food choices

You forgot "fun to eat" in the Pros! All the crazy ways you can peel it and eat it = too fun!
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Depends on the person.

My friend has two twin girls. Age 2 years, 3 months.

One twin can have a banana per day. The other can't (it causes her to get constipated).

So, if your body allows it why not have an apple, a banana, or whatever fruit you love once per day.

"If you could show me someone that got diabetes from eating too many strawberries I'd eat my hat"
    (heard a scientist say this once)
  • amyofftherecord
    amyofftherecord Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    P.S. Anybody have a couple spare rulers we can lend to glenr79 and Acg67?
  • Babrao
    Babrao Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    One of my favorite breakfasts consists of a banana and 1.5 teaspoons of Natural Peanut Butter. Mmmm. I never get sick of it!! I usually eat that around 4 times a week for breakfast :) Enjoy!
  • Syreeta6
    Syreeta6 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Ok guys let's not get ugly and concentrate on the MFP's question :)
    Sorry I don't have an answer but a simple comment

Who eats half a banana? That's ridiculous, what do you do w/the other half? refrigerate it?! lol
  • BrandyontheRun
    BrandyontheRun Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Bananas are the new apples; but that's just the gospel according to me.

^Love it!!
    and good question- I'm always over on my sugar as well and it's always from the fruit I eat. I love bananas, so I just stop tracking my sugar .... LOL
  • kbw414
    kbw414 Posts: 194
    Options
    I eat half a banana every day. As long as it fits in your macros, go for it! :)

What do you do with the other half? Throw it away?
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    I eat half a banana every day. As long as it fits in your macros, go for it! :)

What do you do with the other half? Throw it away?

nope....she gives it to me and we have a nice day!
  • thepetiterunner
    thepetiterunner Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    Bananas are fantastic, particularly if you're a runner (which you are). It's fruit? Why cut out fruit?
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    Bananas will kill you. It has been proven that everyone that has ever eaten a banana ends up dying.

Bananas: The Silent Killer.
    This is what I tell myself when it comes to fruits (Banana being the top one since its my favorite fruit outside of mangos)

Pros:

Good fiber
    Curbs hunger
    Curbs sweet tooth
    Ideal snack food
    Gives me the monkey powa!
    ITS ALL NATURAL FOOD (this is a big thing for me, I dont deny anything thats natural)
    Source of good sugar preventing me from chasing after bad sugar
    Good source of potassium though not the best

Cons:
    High calories (about 110 calories. This is still half the calories of a candy bar btw)
    High in sugar

All in all, I think bananas or any other fruit is amazing. It satisfies my inner child and prevents me from making unhealthy food choices

You forgot "fun to eat" in the Pros! All the crazy ways you can peel it and eat it = too fun!

OMG I totally did forget it. Having fun with fruits is the best part of eating them. Post edited :)
  • scottishhighlander
    Options
    Google 40 bananas a day, this guy swares by them!
  • myak623
    myak623 Posts: 616 Member
    Options

Who eats half a banana? That's ridiculous, what do you do w/the other half? refrigerate it?! lol

Actually, my kids do. Drives me crazy though. Because, as you said, what are we going to do with the other half so it doesn't go bad?
  • 987Runner
    Options
    Great points everyone, thanks!

I love banana's, that's why I eat them. Perhaps I'll save them for workout days and focus on proteins on my non-workout days.

I did not know banana's are the silent killer, good to know. :laugh:

I'm truly excited about having MONKEY POWA through them, I'm always learning something new everyday. Sweet.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options

Actually, my kids do. Drives me crazy though. Because, as you said, what are we going to do with the other half so it doesn't go bad?

freeze it for a smoothie tomorrow or next week
  • kbw414
    kbw414 Posts: 194
    Options
    I read about bananas and how they were originally marketed to Americans as an exotic fruit that then became a staple. The story kind of weirded me out, especially after they were genetically altered to be twice their natural size because Americans "needed" bigger and bigger convenience fruit.

They're never ripe when they're in the store. The greenness of them makes me gag, lol. If you ripen them at home, then they often get mush spots on them. Yuck.

They're good in smoothies, but smoothies are too high in sugar for my tastes most of the time. And they're available year-round which doesn't really resonate with me. I eat mostly seasonal foods and bananas just seem so...unnatural.
  • JMHJess
    Options
    hipster-ariel-meme-generator-bananas-too-mainstream-5bdfb7.jpg
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I don't go near them. They hit my blood sugar the same way pure sugar does. Bananas are a GMO food so I'm wary. I do love the taste of them, though.

They are way up there on the sugar scale.

Glycemic Index:
    Banana - around 52 (underripe would be lower and overripe would be higher); GLYCEMIC LOAD: 14 (medium)
    table sugar - between 58-65; GLYCEMIC LOAD: 7 (low)

Remember though, fructose (the main sugar in fruit) goes straight to the liver and is converted to fat (it isn't even used as energy or nutrients or anything). High consumption of fructose can lead to Non-Alcohol Fatty Liver Disease. Of course eating a whole piece of fruit is healthier than consuming HFCS through soda or processed food.

So fructose is never converted to glycogen?