I want to become a runner

Options
13»

Replies

• mcbrittlynn
    Options
    Thank you everybody! All this support nearly brought me to tears! You are all so helpful and I will be going back and adding a bunch of you so we can stay in contact and support each other! I will definitely look in to the C25K program and this afternoon will be going for a nice walk! Thank you thank you thank you! :D
  • kd_mazur
    kd_mazur Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Start slow, by walking. I was 263 when I started and I only walked for the first several months. Then started alternating walking and running.

Look for Run Your Butt Off, too. Great book.

mine story is the same:) Run your butt off is a good book, similar to couch to 5k.
  • sam363
    sam363 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I like the Cool Runnings C25K program. Google it, it's free. As for progression. I would plan on walking everyday for a short amount of time then slowly add in 30 seconds of running. I preferred to run outside when first starting and use landmarks as my goals. The other plus side of walking/running outside is you have to walk/run home unlike a treadmill where you can stop at anytime. So, start walking around a block then add another. Use tools like mapmyrun.com to tell you how far you've gone. Do not get discouraged - you are doing more than if you were sitting on your couch!

Friend me - I plan on doing 100 miles of walking/running in March. I like goals like this because it makes me see my number go down. If you need the motivation try walking 30 miles in a month. That's 1 mile a day and you don't have to do it all at once.

Good luck on your journey!
  • Still_Fluffy
    Still_Fluffy Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    There is no secrete to it but going out and doing it. I started running weigthing 392 and not able to run more then a minute. I’m now down over a 100 pounds and have complete 2 marathons.

Some tips that worked for me:
    - I started by running a minute then walking a minute. I built up from there.
    - Figure out if you’re a morning or evening runner and stick to that time. I found it easier to find time in the am, you just have to get up earlier.
    - When running you should be able to hold a conversation with someone, if you can't your going too fast.
    - Once you start clocking 3 + miles outside think about getting a GPS watch. I love my garmin forerunner.
    - Find a running partner or running friend
    - Lastly enter a race, start with a 5K and then make a goal of running a longer distance race each year.

Good luck, feel free to friend me.
    Good luck, feel free to friend me.
  • jnlynn
    jnlynn Posts: 101
    Options
    I am 48 years old and have never ran a day in my life and I am overweight.

December 1st, walked into a gym and told the trainer I wanted to run a half marathon in June 2012. I asked her if anyone had ever walked in and said that and she said NO but this is duable.

I started with the couch to 5K program. The first day I said this is crazy I cannot even run 90 seconds! Well today I have done a 5K in 25 degree weather, ran 4 miles and can say I am going to do this. I am running another 5K this Sunday.

If I can do this, anyone can do this!!! Just do it!!!!:heart:
  • rachietuk
    rachietuk Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I used the C25K app. I never ran before. I can now run 5K. It was not easy, but it certainly wasn't as hard as I thought it would be.
    Good luck, you CAN do this.
  • BecksFit88
    Options
    Just start every day and do it until you no longer hate it and you don't feel like you're going to die anymore.

That's how I became a runner the first time. I'm working on it again.