Thinking of tryin C25K......?

Options
So I just read up on this today, after seeing some other people saying they have either heard of it or done it. Any success stories? Any failure stories? It says on the webpage, that anyone can become a runner. Now, I am all for optimism...however, I am a serious couch patato!!! Doe this really train you to run without being short of breath and quitting in 5 minutes? What do I need to know about this c25K? Thanks!

Replies

• Strobins05
    Options
    I say go for it! It is a great program and tons of MFP's are having success with it. Good luck and you should receive some great tips/ advice!:flowerforyou:
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    I've gotten as far as the second week. I'm a bit slower than the webpage says it can be done. I've revamped it to be a 13 week program for me. I'll be running in three months! So far so good! I just restarted last night.
  • jlburke2
    jlburke2 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    A friend of mine, admittedly a thin friend, used this program to run a 5K. She managed to finish in right around 30 minutes, which was her goal. I think the nice thing about the program is how slowly it eases you into the running. I know that in the past I have tried running a mile on day 1 and on day 2 I am too sore to try again, by day 3 I've lost the motivation, you know what I mean?

I'd say give it a shot, stick to it and remember that all you are doing is setting a personal best time that you can aim to beat in your next 5K.
  • dawlschic007
    dawlschic007 Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    I started this program back in August and I was NOT a runner or anything close to resembling a runner. I could barely run the 30 seconds at a slow jogging pace. I just took it one day at a time and finished the program. Now I can do the 5k run all the way through with out stopping and have since moved on to training for a 10k. It really is a great program and while I won't say it's easy, the structure is great and before you know it, you're running. Plus, you can always repeat a week until you feel better about it and then move on to the next week.

I would recommend just to concentrate on jogging/running during your intervals and don't worry too much about your speed or time. You can always work on that stuff the further you get into the program.
  • junyr
    junyr Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    So I just read up on this today, after seeing some other people saying they have either heard of it or done it. Any success stories? Any failure stories? It says on the webpage, that anyone can become a runner. Now, I am all for optimism...however, I am a serious couch patato!!! Doe this really train you to run without being short of breath and quitting in 5 minutes? What do I need to know about this c25K? Thanks!

If you don't run it's hard to start. You will be out of breath on the 60 second runs, make no mistake.

Folllow the program.

If you run so fast you can't make the 60 seconds, then run slower. Find a pace you can maintain for the full duration.

Log your runs in the exercise section here.

Get comfy shoes you can run in.

Stick with it, it works.
  • lou1105
    lou1105 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I'm hoping to start tomorrow! I am a proper couch potato and can run for about a minute till im out of breath! I dont want to be like this anymore and want to change for the better. Hopefully the c25k program will help me! Good luck if you do try it out :)
  • maru84
    maru84 Posts: 128
    Options
    It depends a little on where you're currently at. It isn't really "Couch" to 5k. Could you walk for 30 mins at a pretty ok to decent pace? If yes, you can definitely do week 1, which involves intervals of 60 seconds of jogging and 90 secs of walking (pretty sure). I just finished week 3, which involves 90 second and 3 minute jogging intervals. I am completely in love with running- but if you find you don't like it, it's ok! there are a lot of great ways to get fit.
  • determinedbutlazy
    determinedbutlazy Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    It is NOT easy, but you see progress pretty quick! I'm on week 3 day 3 tomorrow, and I'm so pleased with my success.
    Trying costs nothing, I didn't invest in good running shoes until the 3rd week because I didn't know if I could commit to it.
    I could, it's going well and I bought myself some good running shoes this week to help my legs.
    If you go in positive, you can do it!
  • sjkcarter
    sjkcarter Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    I just finished week 4. I do it on the treadmill, and I found that if I put a towel over the time then I can run longer. When I am contantly looking at the time tick away I felt more out of breath. Weird, total mental game. I love it though. It is one of my favorite cardio workouts.
  • paeli
    paeli Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I started C25K just before Christmas, now i'm on Week 8 or so and I can already run a 5k or 3 miles. I was not coming from couch potato status but I had been doing 30ds for about 2 weeks before starting. I could barely run to catch the bus without getting exhausted. The progression of slowly adding more running in week by week definitely works. Don't worry about time or speed as others have said, just focus on completing each day. If it's too tough, go slower until you can manage it. Also don't be afraid to repeat weeks if you feel that you need to.
  • LMHinson15
    LMHinson15 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I'm doing it. I modify it to what I can do and sometimes take longer than a week at one level. I usually go longer than the allotted 20-25 minutes, so I stretch the walking pieces just slightly. So for the week when you're running 3 minutes, walking 1.5, then running 5 minutes, and walking 2.5, I did run 3min, walk 2, run 5, walk 3. It's WORK, but I can now run a mile without stopping (which is darn close to miraculous). It breaks it in to manageable pieces, but I think (for some of us, for whom even running that first minute was a huge step) it can be modified.
  • jujuwoome
    Options
    I started it last Spring. Thought I would die the first few weeks. It was hard BUT I kept at it. Got up to three miles even though I was sloooowww! Got injured (doing something else) and stopped.

Started it again now that I am healthy again and finding it's much easier this time. I don't know if it's because I did two months of strength/cardio fives times a week first or if I retained some of the skills. Probably both.

Do the program exactly like it says with one exception. Don't be afraid to repeat a week or a day. I think on my program I did Week Four, Day Three three times before I could run the twenty minutes.
  • sjtreely
    sjtreely Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    My advice would be to go to a reputable running shoe store and get properly fitted for shoes meant for your feet.

Stores that specialize in running shoes (not the ones typically found at the mall) will measure your feet, analyze your gait, and give you the opportunity to run in each pair you try - either in their parking lot or on a treadmill. Don't be shocked when they suggest 1/2 to one full size larger than what you typically buy.

Also, invest in good socks. Wick away socks are worth their weight in gold.

Good luck with your journey!
  • frogman4591
    Options
    I have never been a long distance runner, but a age 57 I got this wild idea to run in our towns 2 mile race in July. I found the C25k program and have been using it. Yesterday I completed Week 6, Day 1. i did not really know where to start for speed, so I tried 6.5 mph. Ever since W1D1, I have been running at this speed and walking at 3.5 mph. That's what has worked for me. Find what works for you and stick with it. For me, what seemed almost impossible is becoming and reality. The are C25k groups on MFP. Good lock. :smile:
  • Amanda_S80
    Amanda_S80 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I'm doing it and LOVING it! I had to do the first week a couple of times, but once I completed it I moved on to week 2 and found it easier. I just started week 3 today and it was great. It's hard work, but it's worth it and it's a great workout. I just jog at a pace that I'm comfortable with and don't worry about what pace they say it should be run at.

Give it a try - there's no harm in trying!
  • shadowkitty22
    shadowkitty22 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    My friend and I are going to be starting W3D1 today of this program and we love it. I started this program at around 290 pounds and had actually been planning on putting it off because of how much I weigh and I didn't want to put undue stress on my knees. Now I will admit that my knees do hurt (not in an OMG THE PAIN THE PAIN! kind of way but more just a constant dull throb for a few hours whenever I get off the treadmill from putting in my time for the program) but I'm thinking that it might possibly be because of my shoes as I've had them since last June and it's possible that they've already outworn their lifetime miles/cushioning before needing to be replaced. So I'm planning on trying a different pair of shoes today. I've also already ordered knee braces (I did that before thinking it was my shoes haha) and have set up an appointment with my doctor to ensure that it's not actually something wrong with my knees.

But as for the actual program, I find it to be very easy to do for an incredibly obese woman such as myself. I don't do the 6 mph speed that the program seems to think you should do in order to get a 5k done in 30 minutes, instead I just jog at a 4 mph speed because it's easier for me to maintain and I'm not huffing and puffing halfway through that day's run. I figure in the end it doesn't matter what time I come in on a 5k, as long as I complete it at something faster than my normal walking speed. I know that a faster speed will come with more time, more weight loss and better endurance.

I use the Get Running app on my iPhone as my C25K program. It lowers the volume of your music (or you can opt to pause it) so that you can hear the woman's voice when she tells you to run, walk and cool down. She also gives little motivational blurbs every once in awhile. It works with the music on your phone and you can also listen to audio books if you prefer. It tells you which days that you should run based on when you start the program. And if you miss a day it reworks the days that you should run. You can also choose to rerun certain days in case you don't feel like you're up for the next level of running.

I'm really hoping to complete the program with my friend before she moves but I think it's going to be cutting it close.
  • JeSuisPrest
    JeSuisPrest Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    Don't think....just do!!! It's great. I have completed it and started the Bridge to 10k!!! Go me!! :wink:
  • sheerjay
    sheerjay Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    DO THE PROGRAM....ITS GREAT!!! :D
    I started C25K about 4 months ago......I was struggling to jog 60 second intervals when I started, always out of breath and some weeks I found hard to go the full time for runs so I repeated weeks every so often.

Trust me, its gets easier and now I look forward to jogging every morning ( didnt think Id ever say that )....I go about 7km/ 4.4 miles on weekdays....and weekend where I have energy I get about 15km/ 9.3 miles!!

If you have a smart phone I strongly suggest getting the endomondo or runkeeper app....it will track you run on a map, give you speed distance and cals burn stats....and sends it to a website to help track progress :)

FEEL FREE TO ADD ME.....LOVE ANY RUNNING FRIENDS I CAN GET :)
  • JeSuisPrest
    JeSuisPrest Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    My advice would be to go to a reputable running shoe store and get properly fitted for shoes meant for your feet.

Stores that specialize in running shoes (not the ones typically found at the mall) will measure your feet, analyze your gait, and give you the opportunity to run in each pair you try - either in their parking lot or on a treadmill. Don't be shocked when they suggest 1/2 to one full size larger than what you typically buy.

Also, invest in good socks. Wick away socks are worth their weight in gold.

Good luck with your journey!

Great advice!!!
  • aulove
    aulove Posts: 34
    Options
    I just started C25K yesterday. It's funny, I've never liked running-absolutely hated it in P.E./school-but I have always wanted to participate in local 5k races with my friends. So I'm giving it a go, and I am signing up tomorrow for a local 5k this September as a goal to work toward.

Good luck!