what do you consider moderation?

Options
some people are in the 'only eat clean' camp and some are in the 'everything in moderation' camp. if you fall in the everything in moderation camp, what is your definition of moderation for donuts?

daily, weekly, bi-weekly, monthly, quarterly? what do you think is a moderate amount of donuts for a person to consume in a year?

i eat a chocolate-frosted donut every saturday morning that we have roller hockey. probably 40 weeks out of the year. it's quick and easy (we buy them there) and cheap. recently i have started thinking that i don't actually think a donut a week is a moderate amount.

just wondering what other people thought about moderation?

Replies

• mydeloo78
    mydeloo78 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Moderation is fantastic. My mother always said a little of what you like won't hurt you. However, for me, I eat donuts maybe twice a year. I eat fast food about that much too. One donut a week won't kill you and if it keeps you happy I say keep doing it. For me they just don't taste good enough for how many calories are in them. Moderation is different for everyone. Some people have a cheat day, others a cheat meal. Its all about what works for you. I'm also an all or nothing person. If I don't ever have a potato chip I dont' ever have to stop. Get my drift?
  • withervein
    withervein Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Moderation is quite personal.

For me a moderate amount of breads is a bagel a day. For others who follow a low carb lifestyle that might be seen as a huge splurge.

I'm not big on sugary snacks, so a donut a week sounds like a lot of donuts to me, but if someone tried to take away my daily peanut butter bagel, I'd probably deliver a right hook to their guts.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    For me, moderation varies based on the food. I eat foods high in sugar and saturated or trans fat such as donuts very, very rarely because I believe they are the absolutely worst foods from a health perspective and I just don't like sweets much any more. These are usually only eaten on birthdays or holidays.

I eat foods high in saturated fat but not sugar, such as a greasy hamburger or baby back ribs, occasionally. Maybe once every month or two.

I eat foods that are healthy, but high in calories like homemade pasta, nachos or pizza once every week to 10 days.

I mean that I usually only eat one of the items within that timeframe. I don't eat pasta and nachos and pizza every week, but I usually eat at least one food of this type.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    If it fits in your daily intake, I count it as moderation LOL. I couldn't eat a donut a day and not be hungry every day so that kind of moderates itself. About once a week I have a Frappe from McD though. YUM.
  • 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options
    I think that a donut a week is a great example of moderation:)
  • stuffinmuffin
    stuffinmuffin Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    Moderation is personal thing! I don't have a particularly sweet tooth so sweets and treats are not a problem for me to avoid....however carbs, nah, I just trough in!!! Always within my daily allowance though and I naturally eat low-fat and LOADS of fruit and veg in a day so do whatever suits you!
  • lorierin22
    lorierin22 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I love donuts, so i think one donut at a time is moderation! :) I could eat a whole box of Krispy Kremes if left alone. I wouldn't now that i'm tracking my calories, but I've done it before...and I loved it!! (Guess we know I'm not on the "clean" eating team)
  • KippyBee
    KippyBee Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    One donut a week? I say "good for you"!!!!!
  • Valqis
    Valqis Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    Moderation depends on the person. I have given up all sodas, so I have an energy drink in the morning as my only source of any kind of caffeine at all during the week. other than that i drink all water.

If you eat a donut on the weekend and it works for you, then I say more power to ya, sister.
  • smarterthanyoda
    Options
    I consider moderation to be within my goals (calories, macros, etc). As long as I can keep those in line, I'm happy with whatever I eat.

Some foods make are really hard to eat in moderation without overindulging. I'll limit myself more with these trigger foods, but I wouldn't call that eating in moderation as much as avoiding non-moderation.
  • Lona728
    Lona728 Posts: 105
    Options
    I think one donut a week is in moderation. I have a big sweet tooth and eat chocolate almost every day! Within my calories of course.
  • Sl1ghtly
    Sl1ghtly Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    For me moderation is 300g carbs, 100g fat, and 225g protein in whatever form I chose.
  • fionarama
    fionarama Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    to me eating that kind of really bad food in moderation is having ONE of them ONCE a week. So having a donut every saturday is fine. But if you also have ice cream once a week, wine once a week, fries once a week....you get the picture. Not moderate any more.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    Moderation is fantastic. My mother always said a little of what you like won't hurt you. However, for me, I eat donuts maybe twice a year. I eat fast food about that much too. One donut a week won't kill you and if it keeps you happy I say keep doing it. For me they just don't taste good enough for how many calories are in them. Moderation is different for everyone. Some people have a cheat day, others a cheat meal. Its all about what works for you. I'm also an all or nothing person. If I don't ever have a potato chip I dont' ever have to stop. Get my drift?

Moderation got my grandmother both legs amputated and a host of other complications from Diabetes.

No Thanks.

I will live my life all natural to the best of my ability and affordability.
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    whatever the portion is..
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    For me moderate junk food is whatever I can fit into my calorie allowance without starving myself the rest of the day.
  • wvval
    wvval Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    One a week--moderation:)
  • CuteAndCurvy83
    CuteAndCurvy83 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    Moderation is whatever comes within my daily calorie limit and usually consists of one serving. I usually always allow myself to have a serving of chocolate per day. Other things like cupcakes and things like that are usually reserved for once a week on my "cheat day" even though my cheat day is more like a cheat evening. I eat a healthy breakfast and lunch, but then dinner and snacks are anything I may want really. If helps me from binging.
  • Pollywog39
    Pollywog39 Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options
    I eat what I like.......most every day.

There were sugar cookies in the office today - big, heart-shaped, pretty colored things. I didn't want one...................but then I noticed chocolate chunk cookies in the next office over, so THAT was the tempation I could not resist!

Whatever I eat, I log. Whatever I do, I know I need to make up for it........one way or another. I dont' care about clean or dirty or fatty or sugary or salty..........I just try to be sensible, do all things reasonably, and LIVE. I am fortunate to not be diabetic or have cholesterol issues or high blood pressure.........so, ALL things are okay, and that's how I like to live.

At 57 yrs old, I"m doing pretty damn good!
    :blushing: :bigsmile: :blushing: :bigsmile: :blushing: :bigsmile:
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    Options
    I eat clean-but moderation to me means maybe once a month-after all-its a treat.