Early Riser...what time do you wake up to work out?

Options
Any of you work out at the crack of dawn? I've been thinking that I might need to start working around 4:00 AM :yawn: because lately I seem to run out of steam and time in the evenings and I end up NOT working out. I imagine it will be extremely difficult at first but I'll eventually get used to it?

If you are an early riser, what time do you go to bed and what time do you wake up?

Let me know,
Thanks!

:flowerforyou:

Replies

• UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    4:45
  • Chagama
    Chagama Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    Between 5:00 and 5:30 depending on what workout I have planned and what's going on at work that morning.
  • teacherkatz
    teacherkatz Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    5:15, run and strength training. Tae Kwon DO 3 night a week.
  • katejenkins1
    katejenkins1 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I get up at 5:50 to workout (home) But I don't need to be at work until 8:30 and I live very close, so I can get everything done without travel time or other time constraints. So depending on your definition of early, the sun's not up yet when I get up. :smile:
    It was really hard to get up at first, but once I started forcing myself out of bed my sleep schedule adapted. I find that I feel better and get more done in the morning.
    Good Luck!
  • piccolarj
    piccolarj Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    Two days a week I go to bed at 8pm and get up at 4am. Those are my long run days!
  • BrittneyOD
    BrittneyOD Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I also get up between 4:30-5, depending on the day to workout....makes it easier to get it done first thing, then there are no excuses ;)
  • sciencenerd2011
    Options
    I get up at 5 am, but have done the 4:30 before. Just make sure to go to bed a little earlier.
  • yesthistime
    yesthistime Posts: 2,051 Member
    Options
    I am so interested in this topic, as I want to start working out in the morings for the same reasons as the OP.

For those that do work out early in the morning, does it affect your bedtime? Like do you conk out much earlier than you did before? I looooove my late nights and don't want to lose them. Thanks!
  • hypotrochoid
    hypotrochoid Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    In bed by 9 (or at least that's the goal), up at 4 (or 4.30 if I have a lie-in).
  • huntress74
    huntress74 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem. I never considered myself an early riser. Mostly because I love staying up late. I thought if I got up too eary, I would be tired all day. But, in the afternoon, and after a long day at work, I didn't want to work out. I just didnt' have the steam or motivation. Plus my husband and kids needed me, dinner had to be made, etc.... I forced myself to get up at 5:30am when everyone else was asleep and go walk on the tread mill. It was tough and sometimes I would lie there in bed and try to talk myself out of it. I litereally had to drag myself out of bed sometimes. But, after doing that everyday for awhile, I started looking forward to it. This really surprised me.

Now I sleep better at night and I feel better during the day. It is definately been a good change for me. I hope it works as well for you.
  • KCharron20
    Options
    I get up at 3:30 am to be at the gym for 4:30. I usually go to bed between 8:30 and 9:00. I actually love it and have a lot more energy during the day. I've gotten to the point that if I don't go in the morning I feel really tired. I am not a morning person but it really works for me.
  • Grandysl
    Grandysl Posts: 189
    Options
    I get up at 0400-0415. I have a 40 minute drive to where I work/workout. Do a little on my own, have a group session at 0550-0700 then do some more cardio. I am starting to do the Bowflex Treadclimber at home in the evening. I try to be in bed by 2200. I have been dealing with insomnia lately, so it throws everything off.
  • SewManyBlessing47
    SewManyBlessing47 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Hi, I get up between 5:30 and 5:45am each morning and workout to my 30 Day Shred with Jillian Michaels. At first it was a little hard but yes you get use to it fast. It also starts my day better. I'm all motives for the rest of my day. Then I also go to the gym in the afternoon. So if working out fit in your schedule early morning go for it and watch the results you will be happy you did.
  • Spruijlnd
    Options
    Up at 5:10 AM in gym at 5:30 Am for 45 minutes. Call it a night at 11:30 PM
  • PlanetVelma
    PlanetVelma Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    I get up between 4:15-4:30 Mon-Fri. That gives me enough time for a 30-45 minute workout.

It took me about 2 weeks to get used to it but now it's a habit. I lay out all my stuff the night before so when I get up i can get dressed - get a cup of coffee in my system and it's on!
  • rob_v
    rob_v Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    At the gym 2x a week @ 4:50am to swim.
    When its warmer usually at 1-2x a week at 5am to run
    Other days - around 9ish after I drop my kids off at school.
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    I try to be in bed by 10 and get up at 4:30, 3 or 4 times a week to get an hour in before work. Then I get 2-3 more workouts in on the weekends whenever I feel like it but it's usually right after I get up since I'm use to getting it done and out of the way. During the week I've been known to get a couple extra workouts in after work because I have the energy and feel like it. The first couple mornings of getting up that early are hard but once you realize how good it feels to be awake, energized and don't have a workout looming over you all day it gets easier to get up and totally worth it!
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    I get up at 4:10 am in order to get to the gym by 4:45. I am home by 6:00am. I usually do this about 4-5 days a week. I switched to this schedule because I am able to work out before my daughter even wakes up, so I don't feel like I am missing any time with her. And there are no excuses (besides sleep!) that early in the morning. It was hard to start, but now I don't have any problems sticking to the routine.
    I also get about 3 evening workouts in each week (at home or in a class).
    I go to bed by 10pm most nights and I find that I sleep better and have more energy during the day since I switched to this schedule.
  • deniseg31
    deniseg31 Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem. I never considered myself an early riser. Mostly because I love staying up late. I thought if I got up too eary, I would be tired all day. But, in the afternoon, and after a long day at work, I didn't want to work out. I just didnt' have the steam or motivation. Plus my husband and kids needed me, dinner had to be made, etc.... I forced myself to get up at 5:30am when everyone else was asleep and go walk on the tread mill. It was tough and sometimes I would lie there in bed and try to talk myself out of it. I litereally had to drag myself out of bed sometimes. But, after doing that everyday for awhile, I started looking forward to it. This really surprised me.

Now I sleep better at night and I feel better during the day. It is definately been a good change for me. I hope it works as well for you.

This is exactly my problem...dinner, dishes, giving kids a bath, helping with homework...on and on and I'm dragging by around 9pm and just can't manage to squeeze in a workout. Will definately try this tonight. I hope I can go to bed early. :)
  • ansonrinesmith
    ansonrinesmith Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    I get up for work at 5:30 am. I can't imagine getting up 90 minutes earlier to have time to workout!