How Did You Gain Your Weight??

Options
Everyone has a story, here goes mine.

When I was 16 I got my first job working at Hardee's, home of the thick burger. Every morning I left the house on an empty stomach to go to school, I caught the bus, so when I woke in the mornings I usually only had enough time to get ready for school. I wasn't an early riser and I am still the same today. Everyday at school for breakfast and lunch I would grab a soda and a bag of chips and then would go without eating until 4 pm. I stayed in shape at least body appearance wise because I always stayed after school to run track. So as soon as I got home on most days I had to hurry up and get ready for work, so again that left me with an empty stomach. And after about a month I quit running track because I believed I had too much going on. Once I arrived at Hardee's almost everyday I had something off of the menu. Burgers, chicken, fish, ice cream shakes, cookies, biscuits, sausage. You name it and if Hardee's sold it I ate it. Things especially got bad when my store transitioned to Hardee's/ Red Burrito, I LOVE anything mexican, american, italian. So now add burritos to my burger list and I blossomed but not in a good way. So when my friends told me about my weight gain in a not so nice kind of way, I mean "Damn Tiffany, you got hella big" kind of way I decided I needed to make a change. So I started looking for a new job, no fast food joints, no restaurants. I got hired at Target. What was wrong with Target? Umm the Starbucks and Pizza Hut that was inside. I went crazy, I discovered Starbucks and had a coffee, white mocha chocolate latte and fraps, vanilla bean fraps with whipped cream and caramel on top , blueberry muffins. And I had a pan pizza every time I had a lunch. So I blossomed and blossomed. And again my friends let me know that I was fat in a not so nice kind of way. So my weight gain happened from the age of 16 to 21, I am now 22, 5'4 and I weigh 236 pounds and am looking to shed at least 100 of those pounds.

How did you gain your weight?

Replies

• 623Hernandez
    Options
    I ate poorly and didn't exercise.
  • WheyStrong
    WheyStrong Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    My family owned a restaurant when I was growing up and I developed bad eating habits. Good luck on your 2012 goals!
  • i_love_vinegar
    i_love_vinegar Posts: 2,092 Member
    Options
    ate around 5,000+ calories everyday for 5 months...gained ~20 pounds...which is overweight for my height...thankfully the health problems showed early on for me so I realized I needed to lose weight...>_< Although it was "only 20" pounds, I've lost around 30 (got lower than my original weight) and realized toning is important...so am working on toning for the first time ever now >_<
  • yuckidah
    yuckidah Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I began dieting at age 18 - I wasn't even fat. Since then (by yo-yo starving for 20+ yrs) I've doubled in weight :cry:
  • Sister_Someone
    Sister_Someone Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I've been diagnosed with hyperthyroidism when I was 12 years old. Hyperthyroidism makes it hard to keep weight on, among other things. I grew up used to eating as much as I wanted of any food I wanted. Flash forward four years, I had to have my thyroid removed because my condition was starting to seriously threaten my overall health and no other treatment worked. Obviously, once the thing that caused an extremely high metabolism was removed, it slowed down. To a snail's pace. And my fondness of eating enough for two people remained. :D
  • mrlazy1967
    mrlazy1967 Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I had an accident, ruptured spleen, nasty, recovered but stopped lifting weights and got fat and lazy
  • Triquetra
    Triquetra Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I was verbally abused as a kid and some of it centered about my weight even though it was normal at the time "You're fat", "you need to lose weight", "no one likes a fat girl", or my plate at dinner would arrive with salad while everyone else would get steak and potatoes and I would be "told" I was being put on a diet....while after years of that I finally thought "if she thinks I'm fat, I might as well be fat", then I started working at Cinnabon and eating the product!. Fast forward through a young marriage, stress, a special needs child, stress, money worries, stress, medical problems, stress, divorce and more stress and here I am today!
  • 1WorkoutAtATime
    Options
    emotional eating ( stress) ...
  • KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    Options
    I was a "bottle everything up inside" kind of person so my coping mechanism for my marriage was eating/drinking too much. Got up to around 200 lbs. Fast forward to now, one year on mfp, and I'm down 66 lbs (6 lbs UNDER my original goal weight), fitter/stronger than I've EVER been, and sans a husband! Lol
  • TiffanyDeanee
    Options
    Bump
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    bud-light-family4.jpg
  • siljamilja
    Options
    I got depressed and the only thing I had the strength to do was eat, eat eat.
  • Still_Fluffy
    Still_Fluffy Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I grew up with the idea if you diod something good you got a treat. If you were sad, stressed, depressed then get something to eat. I still strugle with the eating part. But I love working out. I joke I workout so I can eat what I want.
  • the_journeyman
    the_journeyman Posts: 1,877 Member
    Options
    Beer.

JM
  • karenjoy
    karenjoy Posts: 1,840 Member
    Options
    I ate too much crap, didn't do enough exercise. Thought it would just go away on its own.....
  • SinIsIn
    SinIsIn Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    I had lots of sex... got pregnant... ate what I wanted, when I wanted.
  • 2012x
    2012x Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Got pregnant & pigged out basically lol
  • jennh726
    jennh726 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Went through a bad break up and instead of losing I gained. Also broke my wrist and was basically on my couch for a few month and couldnt work
  • willforbes
    willforbes Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Chicken wings, beer, and fell in love then got lazy.
  • jessicajoy87
    Options
    By eating... ALOT!