How Did You Gain Your Weight??

Options

Replies

• RockChick1984
    Options
    I suffered really badly for 18 months with a slipped disc and pretty much unable to even put one leg past the other... was only after MRI scans to confirm this that they told me i also had arthritis in my spine :grumble: then 4 months after that i tore a ligament in my knee and even now its still healing... but guess i just got used to being lazy and made excuses for not doing the 2 hours gym i always used to... finally happy to be taking the control back into my life and get back into all my smaller clothes
  • dcmat
    dcmat Posts: 1,723 Member
    Options
    Just a food lover. Cals & fat in > cals burnt
  • MzMiller1215
    MzMiller1215 Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    I got married and settled down which equated to not going out to the club where I would dance all night or to the gym because I had a newborn and it was too cold or I was too tired.....whatever excuse that came to mind. And I was introduced to the wonderful world of beer, thanks to my husband, and eating whatever food I liked thinking that I had the same metabolism that I had in my teens and early 20's.
  • neversettle
    neversettle Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I was a healthy weight until about 5, when I got a new babysitter. The babysitter fed my brother and I massive plates of spaghetti, or tons of hot dogs, and other unhealthy stuff for lunches and my weight slowly crept up. I was an active kid, played all kinds of sports, but developed horrible eating habits early on. My mom would made nutritious dinners, but I ate like crap at the babysitter. Had weight issues all my life. Dropped about 50 pounds in 2007, then steadily gained 15 or so each year, by eating crap and sitting on my lazy *kitten*, and drinking a **** ton of beer, up until I decided to take my health into control again this past November .
  • mdcjmom
    mdcjmom Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Honestly I'm an emotional eater. When things are good we celebrate with food. When things are bad we cry with a carton of ice cream. Also I had 5 kids in a matter of 7 years. THen just got busy taking care of them and not myself.
  • alsilecchia
    Options
    2 babies 10 months apart ...then back to work ... so I opted for easy dinners instead of planned out "good for you " meals .. over time weight took over and the rest is history as they say
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    My family never taught me about good eating/exercise habits. I grew up on hot dogs, pasta, frozen burritos and ramen. When I moved in with my grandma she never limited the amount of cheese I ate, and always bought soda, Doritos, Oreos, etc. The only nutrition advice anyone ever gave me was to "stop eating so much candy". But they never stopped buying it for me. Later, my mom introduced me to things like chimichangas and fried quesadillas. I just ate whatever I wanted and didn't exercise because I didn't really know any better.

I'm making the necessary changes to my lifestyle so that I can give my kids the nutrition education I never received. I want them to live a healthy, happy life. I don't want them to struggle with their weight the way I have.
  • theprettyone1010
    theprettyone1010 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    I used to be really lazy and ate very, very poorly. Even this past weekend, I didn't track my calories because I was "taking a vacation" and gained 2 lbs in 3 days. Eating out for all my meals and getting extra desserts is how I got fat.
  • Wildgirl10
    Options
    Got pregnant had baby..lost all the weight except 11lbs..got sedetary and gained 35lbs after baby..struggled years with my weight never getting below my prepregnancy weight. Suffered a miscarriage..got depressed..started fertility treatments...got up to 246lbs..hate myself and drank my sorrows away (so I thought) Adopted a beautiful baby ...got out of depression and started to excersise again..dropped 20lbs down to 228..Got pregnant..delivered in July 11' and here I sit with the 20lbs back and a few more :) I lost 15lbs quickly adter delivering but I am still higher then my starting weight. But I am on the losing side of things now, healthy diet and excersise I feel SO much better than I did when I was in my dark place 5 years ago.
  • marindak
    marindak Posts: 168
    Options
    bud-light-family4.jpg

THIS!!!!! and Fried foods, daily!
  • Diandra81
    Diandra81 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    My diet was atrocious...fast food every other day....McDonald's, Chinese, Pizza. I'm also an emotional eater....depressed...eat, happy, eat....sad...eat...bored....EAT!
  • LelliAmi
    LelliAmi Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    1. Stopped dancing
    2. Stopped going to the gym
    3. Enjoyed house boating too much
    4. Continued to be lazy til December
    5. And, voila! A magical extra 30 pounds!

I hope I can lose it all by my 20th birthday (july)
  • kiminikimkim
    kiminikimkim Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    I was happy and comfortable in my life so I ate happily. Happily too much.
  • lbetancourt
    lbetancourt Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    was in a relationsh*t
  • I_give_it_2_u_str8
    I_give_it_2_u_str8 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    i gaynd th wait by nut eattin all the tim!
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    I never "worked out" in the traditional sense in my life, but I was a dancer. So I had ballet twice a week, jazz twice a week, and tap 3 times a week, plus I was in musical theater and always rehearsing for a show. Pretty easy to stay in great shape that way, without the realization that I was exercising. Also, that was when I was 18-20 so I ate what I wanted when I wanted and didn't care about calories...ahhh to have that metabolism again.

Anyway, I got pregnant by an extremely emotionally abusive boyfriend and quit dancing and performing at started eating. Just whatever I wanted when I wanted, except this time I wasn't doing anything to offset it. And I ate for comfort.

Then, it came to my realization that I did not give birth to a 75 lb baby. Bummer. So I just kinda wallowed in self pity. I did lose quite a bit of weight right off the bat simply because I was breastfeeding and I was only 22, but as the years went by and the stress of basically being a single mother carried on, food was always there for me.

I lost the same 20 lbs over and over and over again, but finally I have made a real commitment to myself and to my son to change my life. I also started seeing a therapist to help me cope with any emotional issues that led me to food, and to help me create a healthy relationship with food. Here's to progress!
  • kelsue35
    kelsue35 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    my father had cancer and i was taking care of him, in sept that year he was told his cancer spread to his brain and had 3 months to live. my sister was in town for a visit when this happened and she ended up living with me until dad passed away and several months after that. she finally went home until august that year when she moved back in with me to work and save money for christmas. it was supposed to only be for a couple months but she stayed til march. we would stay up late most nights (like 2 or 3 in the morning) watching movies and when she ate i ate. so between the stress of taking care of my dad and her moving in adding more stress and eating at all hours i gained 30 to 50 lbs
  • julie20012
    Options
    Allowing people to contol my life......not anymore.
  • lorib75
    lorib75 Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    Can't remember a time in my life that I didn't "think" I was fat. I see pictures of me from grade school and think...Holy crap, was I sucking in my stomach? Yep, I was NOT fat then... but my mom was constantly on a diet and I guess that rubbed off on me. Puberty was also NOT a friend to me. I got boobies before any other girl in my class and I hated it. I ate to insulate myself from the teasing. Flash forward to HS and i never dated, missed my prom, graduated without having had a "real" boyfriend. Went to college never dated. Finally went out into the REAL WORLD and found that at the clubs I attracted the attention of black men. I was also attracted to them. I became very promiscuous. I thought sex=love.... I was wrong. So I ate to comfort myself. The only way I got out of that self destructive behavior was CHURCH. I'm now married to a wonderful man and have 2 beautiful kids. I am thankful to God and MFP for this new journey I'm on.:happy:
  • jaa2012
    Options
    Not staying active and making poor choices when it comes to eating.