Early Riser...what time do you wake up to work out?

Options

Replies

• KristyJoy123
    KristyJoy123 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Yeah, if you want to be a morning person, you're going to have to go to bed a little earlier. I go to bed at 10 pm, and can't go much later. My body is conditioned to wake up super early now. On the weekends (ONLY Saturday, though), I will often take an afternoon nap so that I can stay up later. On Saturday and Sunday, I wake up at 8:30 instead of 5:30, and even if I'm up late the night before I force myself out of bed. On Sundays it helps because by bedtime I'm so sleepy I conk right out and I'm ready for 5:30 Monday morning.
  • GdeVries
    GdeVries Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Up at 5:30...first time for coffee and watching some news and then about an hour of cardio & weights. Usually done by 7:30am. Love having the rest of the day to do other stuff.

Rarely in bed after 10pm.
  • maryrr88
    maryrr88 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I get up at 5:20 am to work out. It takes me around 10 minutes to drive to the gym & get on the machine, 45 minute workout, then 10 minutes to drive home. So I end up getting home close to 6:40 & I have to shower, etc, and then I like to just relax for a while with my coffee before leaving for work.

I have to work out in the morning because I absolutely cannot keep up a night workout schedule. I can't go to the gym directly after work (I'd get there & on a machine close to 5) because I'm too hungry & it'll negatively impact my workout. The earliest I could really go at night would be 7:30-8 because it's super crowded until then.

So, I just try to get to bed before 10:30 the nights before I work out, which is really hard for me. I can't really get to bed any earlier, but working out in the morning is the only way I can keep up a steady routine.
  • LondonCalling2
    LondonCalling2 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    My husband and I both get up at 3:15 and head to the 24 hour LifetimeFitness to get in our work outs. We are in bed by ~8:00 in the winter and by 8:30 in the summer. Also, in the summer, I still get up at the same time, but on alternating days I take our three dogs for a walk and then go to the gym to either lift OR do a cardio session (my husband walks the dog on opposite days, but doesn't have time to hit the gym after the dog walk).

I love to get in a 90 minute session before I go to work, it starts the day out right. Besides, there are so many people at our club after work, that it becomes less efficient (and a lot less pleasant) to work out there -- all the time you're waiting, waiting, waiting for your desired piece of equipment.
  • sarafil
    sarafil Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    I get up at 4:00 am. It was hard at first, but you get used to it. Typically I'm in bed by 9 pm.
  • bejuled74
    bejuled74 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I live 45 min. from where I work and where my gym is, so I wake up at 4:30 and leave for the gym by 5:15 to get there by 6:00. I am not a morning person and didn't think I would ever get used to this schedule. But I did somehow...and sometimes I get a little tired of it and I take a break for a day but then I get right back to it.
  • ❤lindsay❤dawn❤
    Options
    4:45 - Wake Up
    5:00 - At The Gym
    6:00 - Back Home
    7:00 - Leaving For Work

I do this every morning like clockwork. : ))
  • fitnessbekhs
    Options
    Thanks to all who replied to this! I've been trying to kick myself into doing this and you guys are an inspiration!
  • bluehenjen
    bluehenjen Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I get up at 5:30, catch the 6 am bus to work, drop my work bag, and go straight to the gym (I work at a university so we have a gym on campus). I do yoga in the evenings, but I find it so much easier to work out first thing in the morning. Every time I've been on a good exercise routine, it has included morning workouts. It sucks for the first two or so weeks, but then I find it gives me a lot of energy throughout the day. Also, as other posters have said, the gym is pretty empty early in the morning so I never have to wait for equipment!
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    4:45

This. I usually go to bed just before 9, although sometimes it's almost 10 or even worse before I'm in bed--the next morning always sucks big time.
  • mdebbie1026
    mdebbie1026 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I get up between 3 and 3:30 AM to punch in at work by 4:15 so that I can end my shift at 12:45 and stop to get my work out done before coming home. Sometimes I pick up my grandson from preschool so this schedule works for me. Also I get to shower up for the evening and don't have to spend time in the A.M. doing it.

I try to get to bed between 7 and 9 PM most nights. 7 is kind of hard but much after 8 and I am falling asleep on the sofa.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    Any of you work out at the crack of dawn? I've been thinking that I might need to start working around 4:00 AM :yawn: because lately I seem to run out of steam and time in the evenings and I end up NOT working out. I imagine it will be extremely difficult at first but I'll eventually get used to it?

If you are an early riser, what time do you go to bed and what time do you wake up?

Let me know,
    Thanks!

:flowerforyou:

Weight lifting days I get up at 3:30am to have my pre-workout nutrition and I'm at the gym by 4am / 4:10am to start lifting. On non-lifting / cardio days I get up about 4:30am.
  • juliep1974
    juliep1974 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Just started back at the early workouts this week. I get up between 5 and 5:30 depending on what my workout plan is. I go to bed by 9:30 (I am awful with less than 8 hours of sleep). I love getting it out of the way and it means I stick to my workout plan better. I started off doing just a couple of days a week (because making it to the gym after work on friday was always a challenge) and then realized I really prefer it (the gym is so much quieter). Once it is part of my routine, I usually go even if I don't feel like it. Once my alarm goes off, I'm up anyway so might as well get out of bed and go.
  • Bostonstacey
    Bostonstacey Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I'm the opposite of an early riser. I've never been much of a morning person, and then I went and married a bartender. If I want to see him ever, I'm looking at an 11:30 or later bed time.

Luckily, my work offers very flexible hours, so I'm able to work around this. I get up at 7:30 to do a half-hour kickboxing video before going to work. I power walk 1.5 miles on my lunch break, and then try to get in another half hour-45 minutes of cardio after work. It feels better knowing that if something comes up in the evening, I've at least gotten some kind of a work out in.

Even adjusting to 7:30 took a week or so (I was getting up at ten past 8 before then). I feel like if you change your sleeping hours, it's going to take a while for it to become habit, but it will eventually become habit if you stick with it. It's all about finding what works for you.
  • jamie78
    jamie78 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    5am...
  • tbresina
    tbresina Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    I am up at 4 and out the door at 405am. I live 1 mile from gym. My neice has 2 lil kids and the only way she can work out is that early so we started doing this almost a year ago. It helps me to lay out my gym clothes on the kitchen table and they are on and I am out the door b4 I have a chance to think about not wanting to do this. It also helps knowing she is there waiting for me! I am completely done by 530 and the rest of the day is mine!
  • Ender928
    Ender928 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Wow some of you get up super early!! I try to get up at 6 to get my workout in. Knowing full well i will probably be exhausted after work and class. Right now I maybe (if I'm really lucky) work out twice a week in the morning wish I could do it everyday. Add me would love to help motivate and be motivated by fellow early risers.
  • Mandykinz2008
    Mandykinz2008 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I get up around 5:30am to make sure I can run and be to work by 8. :)
  • JennATC
    Options
    I find it impossible to work out at night, so I started getting up early. I also find that if I wake up and get the workout done, I feel better the rest of the day.

I get up between 5:00 and 5:30 depending on what workout I am doing. I am in bed between 9:30 and 10:30, just depends on how tired I feel.

I always have my workout clothes, heart rate monitor, shoes, etc. out and ready to go so I don't have to look for anything or think, just get dressed and go!

Oh, and I do this 5-6 days a week. On the weekends when I workout, I tend to sleep a little bit later, but not too much because it throws me off.
  • Lisa2374
    Lisa2374 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Woo you all sound crazy to me! I start work at 9am, husband starts at 7.30am, so i get up 'early' with him at 7am, drop him into work and come home to workout 7.30 to 8.30am, showered and in work at 9am. I struggle to get up at 7am so i find it difficult how you's get up at 3/4am etc, thats the middle of the night to me, lol!!! Maybe i should start going to bed earlier. I love my 8ish hours sleep and go to bed around 11ish. Actually going to head now at 9.30pm and watch some Star Wars! Night all ::) I must say i did this on Monday evening, bed at 9ish and up for workout feeling great, much more energy.