Early Riser...what time do you wake up to work out?

Options

Replies

• 10acity
    10acity Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    My gym is conveniently located 3 mins from work, so I don't have to get there before 7 (usually) to be on time. Working out early in the morning, before work, is one of the main keys to any success I have in either losing weight or just being consistently active. I'm just the type of person who wants to do whatever I want to do after work-- not "have to" be at the gym. I also love starting my day with a workout-- it just sets a positive tone for me. Additionally, I am more likely to eat healthy and stay at/below my calorie goal when I've already worked hard to earn those exercise calories.

It IS hard at first. Even when you don't get up as early as you planned-- go anyway. Push through and you'll find your groove.
  • melg126
    melg126 Posts: 378
    Options
    I am trying to get into this habit too!!! Great post. :smile:

Today I woke up at 5:30am to workout.
  • Sweet_Potato
    Sweet_Potato Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    I get up for work at 5:30 am. I can't imagine getting up 90 minutes earlier to have time to workout!

That's exactly what I was thinking. :)
  • mycovington
    mycovington Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I go to lay down about 8, probably fall asleep between 9 - 10 and get up at 4:30am and I love it. I can't make myself go back out after work. I just want to come home, make dinner, knock out a few chores, and chill out. It works for me.. Getting out of bed is the hard part. Once I'm actually up, I enjoy it. Good luck to you :)
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    I'm up at 4:15 am just to get to work on time. I go straight to the gym after I get off work, usually arriving at 5:30 pm, and am in and out in around an hour.
  • Neize
    Neize Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I try to get up around 350am so I can start my workout around 4am. This works for me I'm usually engerized all day.
  • carriep2010
    carriep2010 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    bump:)
  • jaeone
    jaeone Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    Early Riser here! Sleep by 10:30pm alarm set for 5:00!
  • sarahgilmore
    sarahgilmore Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I get up at 4.30 just to get to work. Any earlier, I might as well just pull an all-nighter.
  • mtperry9
    mtperry9 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Up at 4:00am, grab a cup of coffee and bowl of Grape Nuts. Head to the gym (which is located less than 5 minutes away) to work out until about 6:15. If I am going out for a long run, then I skip the cereal and just grab a Fiber One bar.

I do this on Mondays, Tuesdays ... skip Wednesdays to let my body get more sleep mid-week ... then I resume on Thursday and Friday. Usually up by 6am on Saturdays to get to the gym by 7am.

Yes, this does effect my going to bed. Usually try to be in bed by 10:00pm to get 6 hours of sleep. If I slow down in the evening, like to watch TV or something, then sometimes I do fall asleep on the couch for 20 minutes or so.
  • laineylynnfit
    laineylynnfit Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I wake up at 4 AM and get to the gym at 4:45 AM :) I love how energized I am for my work.
  • Fit2befitZ
    Fit2befitZ Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I am up between 5 - 5:30 weekdays and I got to bed @10pm. I especially love strength in the early morning!!!
  • marckilgore
    Options
    I wake up at 6:20am and jump on the elliptical by 6:30am. Having the elliptical in the basement is really nice because I know I wouldn't ever go to a gym at night after a long day at work. I've been starting doing light strength work in the evening after dinner.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,565 Member
    Options
    7am fasted.
    Eating at 2pm!

BCAAwesomness!
  • Bagman12002
    Bagman12002 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    up M-F at 0600, get kiddos ready and out then off to gym, in bed by say 9pm, use dvr for shows I like and watch them on weekend. find it easyer to work out in the am the gym is real busy in the afternoon plus home to help with kids..
  • ♥Amy♥
    ♥Amy♥ Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    I was getting up at 5:30 to go running in the mornings while my boys and husband were still sleeping, but recently my 2 year old has been waking up at 5:15 (he needs to go potty), so I haven't been able to leave. It has definitely put me in a funk, as that's the only time that I can go alone (besides at night, but this is my downtime after being a SAHM all day long).

Maybe I'll try even earlier like you all are posting and see if I can get my body to start moving that early.
  • jillyt85
    jillyt85 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I set my alarm for 3:50 am and am at the gym by 4:30am.
  • Donnacoach
    Donnacoach Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    If I am getting up for 5:45 I make sure to go to bed no later then 10:00, but I strive for 9:00. Good luck with the early early morning wake up. I could not imagine doing a workout at that time of the morning.
  • CoraGregoryCPA
    CoraGregoryCPA Posts: 1,097 Member
    Options
    You can get used to it.. but make sure you are prepared to go to bed at 7pm. I wake up at 4:40, get up about 4:50.. to get to classes at 5:15.. OR leave at 5:15 to begin working out at 5:30/5:40ish. It depends on what I feel like doing that day.

I need to get to bed now.
  • Max_Power
    Max_Power Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I've never been a morning person, so it's been tough, but I'm finally in a routine of getting up at 5. I do P90X without eating or having any coffee, then shower and quick breakfast, out the door at 7 and drink my coffee on my way to work. It's so nice to have it done first thing, and then I can do whatever I want after work, which is sometimes even a bonus workout- light run or walk if it's nice out. Sometimes I still fail to drag myself out of bed, that extra hour of sleep does not seem worth it when I wake up an hour later, and then I feel bad about myself all day for not getting up, plus I know I have to do it after work. I usually go to bed at 10, sometimes little earlier, and it almost always takes me a half hour to fall asleep...

Glad to see there are so many people that get up as early (or earlier) as me!