Bah! New baby coming; what do I do??

Options
13»

Replies

• tataliciousd89
    Options
    Get a jogging stroller and find a nice trail to hike. I had my nephew for the first year of his life and thats what we did pretty much every day. It was wonderful. Just have fun with it and don't be a stress case. If you are calm and happy then baby is calm and happy.... for the most part.
  • alecta337
    alecta337 Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    I read your blog, I actually laughed out loud on your post about baby clothes. I have a very pregnant friend who is collecting baby clothes.

I have no kids so I am not much help but most people say that it comes naturally. Just pay attention to what they need. When they first arrive they need: sleep, food, water. And that's about it.

My mom said that it took her a long time to realize that sometimes when I cried I might have just been thirsty and needing water, but she always gave me milk. I don't know, but maybe look into this water/milk thing
  • nikkilou1978
    nikkilou1978 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I myself have been a stay at home mom for 18 months now. You have lots of great advice here. Just remember there is no right or wrong way to do it, there is only your way. Remember to communicate with your spouse, they are your biggest support system.

Try to find a playgroup in your area, I know our playgroup would welcome the addition of a SAHD. It really helps to get out and socialize with other parents who are in the same boat as you are. It also allows the kids to learn socialization skills they may not get otherwise. This has been my sanity saver!

It is not an easy "job", but it is the most rewarding thing you will ever do! When you are at your worst and that little baby gives you that big gummy grin, it just melts your heart, and makes it all worth while!
  • JHoersten2
    JHoersten2 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Try to find a playgroup in your area, I know our playgroup would welcome the addition of a SAHD. It really helps to get out and socialize with other parents who are in the same boat as you are. It also allows the kids to learn socialization skills they may not get otherwise. This has been my sanity saver!

Really? I'd think it would feel a bit weird to be a dad surrounded by moms in a playgroup. While they're all talking about breastfeeding and whatnot, I'd be nervously twiddling my thumbs looking for an escape.
  • nikkilou1978
    Options

Really? I'd think it would feel a bit weird to be a dad surrounded by moms in a playgroup. While they're all talking about breastfeeding and whatnot, I'd be nervously twiddling my thumbs looking for an escape.

We don't really talk about breastfeeding all the time. We actually talk about other stuff too. We usually bring goodies to eat and joke around most of the time. But I guess I just got lucky. But we would be very open to a father joining our group. If you were really intimidated by being around women, maybe you could find a SAHD group nearby. Try looking on meetup.com type in "stay at home dad". There were several groups in my area that came up.
  • JHoersten2
    Options
    I gotta stay open-minded towards everything now I suppose. It's definitely a good idea and I'll have to look into it around my area. Thanks for the tip!
  • brianward81
    brianward81 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I was apprehensive about becoming a father but I love it so much now. As soon as my daughter was born I was just so ready to do everything I could. It amazes me how some fathers don't get into it - it's awesome! It's hard work at times, yes, it's draining at times, yes, it's <fill in the blank>, yes... but it is the most rewarding thing.

Trust your instincts first. You will be inundated with advice from parents who assume that what worked for them will work for you (not always the case), parents who forget what it was like since they became parents over 20 years ago and even the nurses in the hospital. Just take it all in, pick and choose what works for you and roll with it. Don't be afraid to ask for help or advice but in most cases, you and your wife will know what is best for you kid.

Have fun man, it's the most cliche'd thing in the world to say, but it's true - it's going to change your life for the better and you will find a whole new meaning for what you think love is.
  • nikkilou1978
    Options
    Oh, also wanted to share a website. Babycenter.com is a great resource for all things baby. They have SAHD groups on there too.

BTW Congrats to you both, and good luck with the baby!:flowerforyou:
  • Werglum
    Werglum Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I agree about the sleep when the baby sleeps thing - or at least make the most of it because when baby #2 comes along that won't happen!!
    A thing that I often tell myself is to remember that as far as your baby knows you are the most awesome parent in the world! They have nothing to compare to you and they won't work out that you were making it up as you went along until they turn 14 and decide you are the worst parent in the world (I'm guessing here, based on myself as I grew up - my older daughter is 3). Basically, feed, make sure they are warm/cool enough, wash them if they get really dirty (but little babies don't really unless we're talking a poo explosion) and love them unconditionally. Also if you are overwhelmed, put the baby somewhere safe (like in its cot) and have a bit of time out. A baby won't get hurt by crying for a little while and sometimes 5 minutes of crying is better than an overwhelmed and frustrated parent who hasn't slept in days.
    You could spend the last bit of time before the baby comes cooking up some dinners to freeze for those first few weeks when no one can be bothered cooking something healthy.
    All the best!!
  • supertracylynn
    supertracylynn Posts: 1,338 Member
    Options
    1. It's okay to take the carseat into the bathroom and put it on the floor outside the shower. Learn to shower in dim lighting. It's amazing how much better life is after you've been cleansed in a hot hot shower.

2. It really is okay to sleep when they do. You'll learn how to do the most interesting things while holding a baby... Like pick items up off the floor while you cradle them. ETA: with your Feet!!

3. There is nothing wrong with sandwiches and crockpot meals. Or cereal/breakfast for dinner.

4. Have you ever heard of Stroller Strides? Check it out. Amazing workouts, with your stroller, with ADULTS. The YMCA is pretty amazing too :)
    Ps, every one loves a man in the mommy and my type classes!

5. Keep the diapers bag in the car, with a supply of grocery bags in case you need to take something in. No sense hauling it in and out of the house, right?

6. Diaper bag essentials: spare change of clothes, 4 diapers, wipes, burp cloth, pacifier. Nothing else is really necessary, just a bonus.

7. www.flylady.net. Saved my sanity when I was a stay at home mom with 3 kids, starting online classes. Also helped me through 2 half-cross country moves, and helps keep my house some semblance of clean.

8. Don't be too prideful to ask for help. We all need it sometimes. :)
    It take a village to raise a well rounded person.

:heart:
  • thor1god1of1awesome
    Options
    when you have first one you are scared of the littlest scratches by the time you get to the third you say "here some sicors go run into a busy street" I kid I kid!
  • smsquash
    smsquash Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Oh fun! Congratulations. When I had my daughter (she will be 2 at the end of April) I had never really been around a baby before. Seriously, had never changed a diaper, or even spent any time with a baby. A couple of things I learned that I wasn't expecting:

1. Don't get too attached to any of the routines you figure out with the new baby. Babies develop so fast, by the time you have something down they will switch things up on you. You really have to be tuned in and responsive to their cues because they change constantly.

2. Get your baby used to being laid down to sleep. I held/nursed my daughter all the time, and she has NEVER gone to sleep on her own. Some parents, they just put their kid down and walk away. As the mom of a two year old who is still sleeping in my bed, who has never slept a single night in her crib, and who requires nursing to go to sleep (I'm trying to wean her now that she is getting close to two) I wish I had taken my midwife's advice and put her down to sleep more when she was a baby.

Good luck! My husband stayed home for three months with our daughter (I took the first three months, he took the second) and I think it really solidified the relationship that they still have today.
  • Mom0fTwo
    Mom0fTwo Posts: 326 Member
    Options

They have dad ones usually once a week, mostly on Saturdays...or at least they did when i used to go to them....look it up online :)
  • kittyinaz
    kittyinaz Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    The only advice that comes to mind right now is if it is a boy, and you are changing his diaper, always keep his weenie covered.

ALWAYS KEEP THE WEENIE COVERED UNLESS YOU LIKE PEE IN YOUR EYES!!!

LOL My son is 2 months old now and just the other day I was changing him and thinking "oh, he must be getting used to this. I haven't gotten peed at in a long time!!" and then sure enough just as I got done with the thought, WHOOSH ---- pee water fountain.

It is nerve wracking at first (I still get frustrated when he cries because I don't know what he wants -- I'm having the doctor check him for reflux on Monday), but you get used to it. The lack of sleep thing really sucks, but you get used to that, too. I'm on baby duty 95% of the time, and normally I can function fine, but there are times when I have to beg my fiance to help with the baby because I'm so exhausted.
  • JHoersten2
    Options
    WHOOSH ---- pee water fountain.

I've heard this a lot, so it will definitely be on the top of my mind. Hopefully with all this preparation, it will rarely come about.

Now the wife, she may get peed on a bit more often. All I can do is laugh.
  • nikkilou1978
    Options
    Another tip if it is a boy, point the peepee down when changing his diaper. This will prevent so many soaked outfits, sheets and blankets. It took me several months before my mother finally recommended this. I was having to change my son's clothes 7-8 times a day.
  • KareninCanada
    KareninCanada Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    Just have fun with it and don't be a stress case. If you are calm and happy then baby is calm and happy.... for the most part.

^^^^ this.

Sleep. Eat healthy. Find things to do together. Walk a lot. Talk to grownups. Enjoy every little minute. And I found that babies actually really enjoy watching video games. LOL

Personal advice:

- Throw away all the "What to Expect" books.
    - Throw away all the "BabyWise" books.
    - Go buy a copy of "The Wonder Weeks" right now - it is a mind-saver.
    - Start practicing the polite nod and thoughtful expression now. You'll need it when talking to moms, grandmothers, doctors, nurses and other concerned strangers who see a Dad out unattended with a baby.

- Take a ton of pictures and videos, and remember to fill out the baby book.
    - Text your wife with a picture when the baby does something awesome.

- If your wife is breastfeeding/pumping, do everything you can to make that easier for her and encourage her.
    - Also re breastfeeding - breastmilk is more than just food. It is food, drink, and comfort all in one sweet package. Don't think it's weird if your wife needs to nurse the baby sometimes three times in an hour - it's okay.

- Feed on demand and nod politely when people tell you that baby "needs" to be on a 4-hour feeding schedule. Start from day one to teach the child to respect his/her own body and its cues.

- Do not expect sleeping patterns to remain the same for more than a week at a time. The baby's or yours.

- Growth spurts happen on the threes - 3,6,9 weeks and 3,6,9 months. Roughly. If your baby is eating all the time, crying non-stop and not sleeping all of a sudden, and you're near one of those markers, just roll with it. You might just need to spend the day sitting on the couch with the baby. (Playing video games?)

- Take a shower every day. It's hard sometimes, but do it. The baby will be just fine in a baby seat, bucket seat, or bouncer for ten minutes on the bathroom floor waiting for you.

- Go for lots of walks.
    - Get a baby carrier. Best are slings & wraps, and you can get them in different sizes. Second best are the kind that their legs hang out of, still good but they are not the best for the baby's pelvis. Carriers also help keep strangers' hands off your baby.

- Speaking of which, don't be afraid to tell people to back off. Complete strangers will want to come up and play with your baby's hands... which will find their way into his/her mouth shortly afterward. It's gross, and you don't have to put up with it.

- Learn the proper way to install your car seat AND how to put the baby in it. You should not be able to move the car seat base more than an inch in any direction when it's properly tightened. (Trick - kneel on it when you're tightening the buckle.) Poofy snowsuits are a no-no, so are "bundle-me bags" and anything else that goes underneath the baby in the seat. They can compress in a collision and leave the car seat straps loose enough for the baby to be ejected. Use layers and blankets - you don't want more than a finger-thickness of space between the straps and your baby's body. And keep him/her rear-facing as long as you can, ideally up to two years.

- This sounds harsh, but it's just hard to find a nice way to put it without losing the message. The baby is entering your world, you're not entering his/her world... don't let your entire life suddenly be dictated by the whims of the small one. Obviously you need to accommodate the baby, meet needs, provide love and care, etc. But what I'm saying is, don't get drawn into the trap of having 100% of your existence, function, and conversation revolving around nothing but your baby and his/her existence and bodily functions. Keep being yourself. Keep doing the things you enjoy. Find a way to make your life work, because if you are a happy and contented parent, most of the time your baby will be happy as well.

- And with some trepidation I will tell you to just trust your gut. You're not a mom, so you probably don't come with the same baby-radar-spidey-sense that we seem to innately possess. But you will still be the one who knows your child the best. You make the decisions, and you deal with the fallout. Everyone will have a ton of advice for you, as you can see... LOL But at the end of the day, it's your child, your family and ultimately everything rests on your shoulders. :flowerforyou:
  • xmissjasmine
    Options
    Expect the unexpected, and expect the 3 P's.

Puke
    Poop
    Pee

Seriously though, they're amazing. Enjoy the non-mobile stage, take advantage of their sleep times, take advantage of their swing....and get the What to expect the 1st year book! It's wonderful.

I'm a mom of twins, and believe me, you learn as you go but it's soooo worth the experience.

Congrats!
  • JHoersten2
    Options
    Expect the unexpected, and expect the 3 P's.

Puke
    Poop
    Pee

That's what I'm dreading. :*(