Crossfit--worth it or too extreme?

Options

Replies

• Jennan1
    Options
    So negative. This 41 yr old mother of a 3 yr old loves crossfit, and so do my 60+ year old parents.
  • Health_Gal
    Health_Gal Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    If you think I am being "negative" about Crossfit, read what the NY Times has to say about their dangerous program:

Getting Fit, Even If It Kills You
    http://www.nytimes.com/2005/12/22/fashion/thursdaystyles/22Fitness.html?pagewanted=all
  • thefuzz1290
    thefuzz1290 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Geeze, the Crossfit Cultists are out in force :P.

There are good crossfit gyms and bad crossfit gyms. Crossfit is an excellent workout if you are in pretty good shape to begin with, and its definitely not for true beginners. But remember, not all gyms are created equal and I definitely don't' think its worth the money (both Crossfit gyms in my area are $120 a month). A lot of crossfit is doing the amount of reps as fast as you can, while crossing your fingers that you have good form. This leaves you open to a higher chance of injury if you're not familiar with the lifts (and the instructor won't spend the time to teach you).

All in all, its a great workout, but unless you have some experience I'd stay away.
  • SproutPal
    SproutPal Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to share my moderate, Pro-Crossfit views.

I started in July 2011 with a 2-week 6-class BeginnerSeries (again, mandatory to join my local CF gym). Learned correct techniques as I had never lifted free-weights before, had never done a "wall ball", had never worked with kettlebells... you get the drift. Learned a ton. Continued working out at that CF gym 2-3 times a week for the next 2 months.

I was never part of the CF "family" or "cult", whatever you want to call it. I'm sort of a shy, private person and, frankly, just didn't feel the need to make friends at the gym. If anything, the cult-like mentality of some of the participants rubbed me the wrong way, so I just kept to myself. I showed up to work out, and left immediately afterwards. I was friendly with the coaches and a few other people, but pretty much just came to get my sweat on and mind my own business. Not the typical CF mentality, but it's my personality and it worked for me. I also ate healthy, but frankly ignored their Paleo diet as yet another diet trend.

After those 2 months, I moved to California where CF is ridiculously expensive. I also make less money now and pay more in rent, so I couldn't afford to be part of a CF gym. Instead, I look up the WODs on my previous gym's website and do them privately in my apartment's gym. I have to modify exercises (for example, I use dumbbells for all my lifts bc my gym doesn't have a bar and free weights), but it works. And it's free. I probably pushed myself harder when surrounded by others at the gym, but I do ok by myself.

In the past 6 months, I've lost 15 lbs (am 5'2", now about 120 lbs), 3 inches off my waist, and 5% body fat. I'm stronger than I've ever been in my life. And I'm not part of a cult, or even a CF family - I just do the WODs as best I can, and I see progress without being extreme by any means. To each their own...
  • angiebarker
    Options
    I did crossfit when i was in high school and i loved it. It really got me going. It is very intense though. I had more of the free crossfit sessions where i didnt have a trainner i made my own plan. I think that it is better to follow a strict plan if you have trouble planning though. so overall its good for some people not for some others. I say try it once and see what happens you may love it. ~A
  • rebeccap13
    rebeccap13 Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    1. They are just another exercise franchise that got too big too fast, and there is no true quality standard of Crossfit gyms

Ummm... Crossfit isn't a franchise. Maybe if you actually understood the roots of Crossfit people would maybe value your opinion. Crossfit is completely free for people who want to work out on their own. And also, coaches provide free scaling of the workouts to any skill level.

And why do you care? Mind your own business. Some people love it, some people hate it. If it isn't for you, THEN BUTT OUT.
  • tinamarch
    Options
    I crossfit too,you should just give it a try if you like it than keep doing it if you dont then find something else.:smile:
  • snkeller24
    Options
    From CrossfitLisbeth:

If you don’t CrossFit, I’m cool with that. If you CrossFit, I’m even happier. But, there are some folks out there obsessed with hating CrossFit and CrossFitters. That’s really funny when you think about it . . . and pathetic.

I don’t care if you drive a Chevy, a Ford, or a Toyota. I don’t care if you smoke or drink a lot — unless your smoke blows my way or your drunken *kitten* gets in my path. You have the right to make what I might think are dumb decisions.

I don’t care if you have bad teeth, a horrible vocabulary, and you like to wear tin foil on your head and private parts. More power to you. Live your life the way you want, right up to the edges of where it affects mine.

I’m too busy serving to get into the business of undermining. Really, who the **** has time for that?

So, let me offer a piece of advice (my own tin foil, I guess), whether you want it or not: If you find yourself getting absolutely red in the face, pulse rising, teeth clenched over what someone ELSE is doing, STOP. Think. Redirect yourself.

The only movement that really matters is the one you are doing now — in the gym or in your life.
    You cannot control anyone else — really — no matter how hard you try. But you can control yourself. You can direct your own efforts. You can make a difference. And in doing these things, you can better your life and the lives of those you love.

Work on you. Help those who want and need and will accept your help. Fight where you need to fight and where your efforts can yield results. Drive on past the other battles. Ignore the tin foil. Build. Live. Love. Succeed.
  • thefuzz1290
    thefuzz1290 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Don't pay for the gym membership, do the free workouts if you really want to try it.
  • rebeccap13
    Options
    From CrossfitLisbeth:

If you don’t CrossFit, I’m cool with that. If you CrossFit, I’m even happier. But, there are some folks out there obsessed with hating CrossFit and CrossFitters. That’s really funny when you think about it . . . and pathetic.

I don’t care if you drive a Chevy, a Ford, or a Toyota. I don’t care if you smoke or drink a lot — unless your smoke blows my way or your drunken *kitten* gets in my path. You have the right to make what I might think are dumb decisions.

I don’t care if you have bad teeth, a horrible vocabulary, and you like to wear tin foil on your head and private parts. More power to you. Live your life the way you want, right up to the edges of where it affects mine.

I’m too busy serving to get into the business of undermining. Really, who the **** has time for that?

So, let me offer a piece of advice (my own tin foil, I guess), whether you want it or not: If you find yourself getting absolutely red in the face, pulse rising, teeth clenched over what someone ELSE is doing, STOP. Think. Redirect yourself.

The only movement that really matters is the one you are doing now — in the gym or in your life.
    You cannot control anyone else — really — no matter how hard you try. But you can control yourself. You can direct your own efforts. You can make a difference. And in doing these things, you can better your life and the lives of those you love.

Work on you. Help those who want and need and will accept your help. Fight where you need to fight and where your efforts can yield results. Drive on past the other battles. Ignore the tin foil. Build. Live. Love. Succeed.

Yes!!!
  • zipperhead76
    zipperhead76 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I can completely understand the "Cult" like feel that some crossfitters give off about the box and Paleo, but most aren't like that. I can't even think of anyone in my box that is on that level, No one really preaches to me about either topic unless I ask. They have also informed me of the flaws, and how to get the most out of the program.

I've been doing crossfit for about 3 months now, and as long as I eat right, I feel better, I move better, and I think I look better. Someone mentioned not being able to move afterward... I'm cool with that. I know that if I push my body to points that it hasn't been in a while, then of course it's going to hurt. There have been times that sitting at work is painful, but if I intend to progress, I can't sit idle and complain about a tough workout. (I do complain, but no one will listen anyways :] )
  • CoachBetsy
    Options
    In my humble opinion, if your friends are getting so hurt doing Crossfit, I think they have poor trainers. Everything should be modified for the individual member and everything should be done fast enough to be focused and work hard but slow enough to keep good form.

I think a lot of the buzz out there is misconception but also some folks bad experiences, and that's too bad.

If you decide to look into a CrossFit Gym, you should find one that has an on boarding process - new members should go through a 'foundations' class and never just jump into a full fledged WOD with no guidance.

I hate to see people miss out on what could really be a life changing fitness experience all because they heard or (even worse) experienced some bad things!

Betsy
    CrossFit Level 1 Coach
  • CoachBetsy
    Options
  • Health_Gal
    Options
    I just found another really good article about Crossfit. Maybe reading it will help you make up your mind about the program.

There are many safer ways to get in shape and have a "life changing experience" than dealing with all the extremism, elitism, and other problems associated with Crossfit

http://hometeamfitnessblog.com/why-i-hate-crossfit/
  • snkeller24
    Options
    I just found another really good article about Crossfit. Maybe reading it will help you make up your mind about the program.

There are many safer ways to get in shape and have a "life changing experience" than dealing with all the extremism, elitism, and other problems associated with Crossfit

http://hometeamfitnessblog.com/why-i-hate-crossfit/

christ they still let you post on boards? <beats dead horse>
  • Health_Gal
    Options
    I am very tired of Crossfit capitalizing on fallen service men and women as an incentive to get people to enroll in their overpriced classes. Doing a Crossfit workout named after a fallen service man or woman does NOTHING for the families or to bring them back. The extreme, military nature of Crossfit is one of the major reasons I don't want anything to do with it.
  • rebeccap13
    Options
    I am very tired of Crossfit capitalizing on fallen service men and women as an incentive to get people to enroll in their overpriced classes. Doing a Crossfit workout named after a fallen service man or woman does NOTHING for the families or to bring them back. The extreme, military nature of Crossfit is one of the major reasons I don't want anything to do with it.

CrossFit has actually raised millions of dollars through Fight Gone Bad in the last 6 years which at least one of the three organizations that receive the proceeds is a military support organization.

You've obviously run out of any proven evidence that Crossfit is bad for you if you're grabbing at straws this much to bash it.
  • Health_Gal
    Options
    Crossfit may give money to military families and organizations .BUT......

You have to wonder how much of Crossfit's connection with the military, naming workouts for fallen warriors, giving money to military organizations, etc, is being done to promote Crossfit to people that have a military family member or other connection, and draw more attention to Crossfit to attract more members to Crossfit gyms and make more money for Crossfit?
  • janegalt37
    janegalt37 Posts: 270 Member
    Options

I know quite well how you feel about CF, but I can't believe you just said this. Do you know what "beyond the pale" means? Please think about what you wrote here, and if you can, please find it in your heart to apologize.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    My huband's army buddies all do crossfit to keep up with their fitness for the Army. They all love it and are in incredible shape, but it's not for a beginner who is new to exercise.