Strength Training

Options
Hello Everyone..
As some of you may know I have REALLLY hit a brick wall with my weight loss. I have lost about 30 pounds so far and have been wavering back and forth on the same 2 pounds for over 2 months now. I believe its time to change things up at the gym and add in some SERIOUS weight lifting. Up to date I have really just been doing ALOT of cardio at the gym, along with the ab roller, and maybe once a week doing the express circuit workout. I typically burn around 500-600 calories in the hour that I am there.
I need some advice on what weight machines i should try. some kind of schedule. ect. I am clueless with the weights. Yesterday, when i was doin the circuit I upped everything I did to 55 pounds (from 40) and it felt great. how many reps/sets should i do?? how many of each, ect. Do you think it will help jumpstart my weightloss again?? My current weight is 198. HELP HELP HELP!!!!!!

Replies

• nytdreamer80
    nytdreamer80 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    anybody????
  • jsteffen80
    Options
    A lot of the girls around have have found success with the book 'New Rules of Lifting for Women'
  • Skeemer118
    Skeemer118 Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    My question is similar so I'd love to see more answers.
  • nytdreamer80
    Options
    Come on folks! Help me out here!!!!!
  • BrandyontheRun
    BrandyontheRun Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I got my strength routine from a book called "weights for weight loss" by sam murphy. Great book that offers a gym workout, a free weights workout, and a home workout.. Check it out!! I plan on investing in new rules of lifting in the near future, I've heard lots of great things about it.
  • SherryRueter
    SherryRueter Posts: 2,977 Member
    Options
    First I want to let you know that I am a Team Beachbody coach. However, I also want you to know that I am not posting because I want to have a sale. I am posting because I believe in the system and have seen results. With that:

My recommendation would be to purchase the DVD system P90X. It has it all laid out for you on what strength moves to do, how many, when, which body part etc. it comes with a nutrition guide to assist you with what to eat, when to eat and how much to eat. They have done the research, you just follow the program. I started the program in 12/2008 and have been doing it consistently since. I can do 20# bicep curls (and I'm only 5'0") I can do pull ups, I can do 'male' push ups. I am strong! Seriously, this program works.

Feel free to message me if you want.
  • KareninCanada
    KareninCanada Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    I'm following and LOVING the New Rules book. It is super-easy to follow along, but not a super-easy workout by any stretch. The scale is not being my best friend (4lbs in a month), but I've lost an inch off my bust & hips in the last two weeks, and am already seeing measurable progress in what I can do! I'm no expert, but feel free to "friend" or message me if you'd like someone to travel along this road with :smile:
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    A lot of the girls around have have found success with the book 'New Rules of Lifting for Women'
    ^ This. I've had tremendous success with this program. There's a group of women here on MFP that are doing it and you're welcome to join. Here's the link the the group:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/search?phrase=NROL4W&order=0

Or just go to Community>>Groups and do a search for NROL4W and you'll find it.
  • nytdreamer80
    Options
    Thanks for all the tips everyone! I guess I am just looking for the magic answer, and really there isnt one. How long should I aim to weight lift every day?? 20 min? 30 min??
  • AlwaysWanderer
    AlwaysWanderer Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    Forget the machines, and use free weights. Go for 8-12 reps, if you can do more than that, increase your weight. For a full body workout you can try:
    squats (with a barbell)
    launges (with dumbells)
    dumbell curls
    skull crushers
    chest press
    deadlifts

Google them or you tube to see proper forms.
  • jamiesadler
    jamiesadler Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    ^ This. I've had tremendous success with this program. There's a group of women here on MFP that are doing it and you're welcome to join. Here's the link the the group:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/search?phrase=NROL4W&order=0

Or just go to Community>>Groups and do a search for NROL4W and you'll find it.

I just put a hold on this book from my library. Thanks for the tip
  • TSTagain
    TSTagain Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    check out www.bodybuilding.com - great workouts with pictures and lots of 12-week programs to choose from
  • poustotah
    poustotah Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the tips everyone! I guess I am just looking for the magic answer, and really there isnt one. How long should I aim to weight lift every day?? 20 min? 30 min??

'How long' is the wrong question - 'How much' is the right question!!! Find a good strength training routine and start working on in. I highly recommend the New Rules of Lifting for Women. There is some wonderful information in there and some terrific workouts as well as how to do them. It's great for beginners and it's great for people that have lifted for a long time.
  • nytdreamer80
    Options

'How long' is the wrong question - 'How much' is the right question!!! Find a good strength training routine and start working on in. I highly recommend the New Rules of Lifting for Women. There is some wonderful information in there and some terrific workouts as well as how to do them. It's great for beginners and it's great for people that have lifted for a long time.

Thank you so much. I will check out the book. Yesterday, I just wandered around and did various weight machines and did 3 sets of 10 on each machine at 55 pounds. But, I was doing total body, not just upper, or lower or whatever.
  • MaryStregger
    MaryStregger Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I have had a lot of success with the Chalean Extreme DVD program from beachbody. Check it out on the beachbody website.
  • EatClenTrenHard
    EatClenTrenHard Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    do 3 sets 8-12 reps each until muscle"failure"

do upper body 1 day, then lower body another day. max 5x a week. give weekends rest.

Do 1hr cardio per day/ if lifestyle permit.

weightlifting until failure increases your BMR for 36 hours. make sure to do 3 sets like that for each muscle group.
    cardio increases BMR for 12 hours.

Hope that helps
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    Strength training is awesome but how much are you eating? are you eating enough? nutrition is number 1, period.

weight machines are fine to start, some say free weights, I use both love it all
  • sammys1girly
    sammys1girly Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    bump
  • luv_lea
    luv_lea Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options

This! I'm loving this program!
  • apretz1
    Options
    Google livefit by Jamie Eason, it is a free online program she designed and it's great!