Who statrted at 1200 but raised their goal?

Options

Replies

• SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    might be a stupid question- but how do you figure out what your TDEE is?
    and what does TDEE mean?

Total Daily Energy Expenditure aka maintenance calories for the day
    Sorry should have clarified that!
  • tequila09
    tequila09 Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    I did-But it just hasn't worked for me. I've lost 8 pounds but weight loss has been stalled for a few weeks. After reading some of these posts I de died to increase my calories to 1500 and see what happens.theresa

hoosiermama your dog is adorable!!!!
  • LadyBugLex17
    LadyBugLex17 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I did this a few weeks ago and thought it would be a good idea for a post with more people telling what they raised their calories to and why! You do NOT have to eat the bare minimum to lose weight! Some do just fine, but it is not for everyone :]

I'll start. I thought as small as I am 1200 would be the max and that is what mfp put me at. They had my maintenance around 1700. But I found out my TDEE on a rest day was 2200! So I now have my goal set to 1400, but always adjust it with my TDEE so I rarely eat under 1800 anymore and the fat is still falling off me :] Many days I get up to 2400-3000 calories burned and can still eat around 2000 to lose.

What about you?

you BURN 2400 calories a day from working out or?

my guided goal on MFP was 1200, but i saw a Dietician and she advised i eat atleast 1756 a day, but i keep my daily goal at 1600 and it is slowly falling off.
  • slimmerchick
    slimmerchick Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    might be a stupid question- but how do you figure out what your TDEE is?
    and what does TDEE mean?

GOOGLE!!!
  • yay2012
    Options
    I recently changed mine it has made a huge difference. With the 1200 I would consistently eat over that and then feel like a failure for not meeting my goal which would in turn make me want to binge because why not, I wasn't going to meet my goal anyway! Now mine has been set to 1500 and it is amazing how much that tricks your brain into sticking to a healthy eating plan. Since changing it I've lost 2 pounds a week for a total of 8 pounds so far.
    Options
    the 2400-3100 is my maintenance for the days I do workout :]
  • Mom2M_and_O
    Options
    MFP put me around 1300 calories starting out, but I quickly overrode that to be 1500 instead. Without exercising, I lost roughly 3 lbs/month. I'm exercising regularly now and expect to see that monthly number go up. I can't judge it on a weekly basis because my TOM messes the numbers up so much for 10-14 days.
  • dlyeates
    dlyeates Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    I did 1200 for the longest time. For a short time I didn't eat exercise calories but through research and reading posts on here realized I needed to eat them back. But I was trying to stay under 1200 and was usually netting less than that.

Even though I "went over" a few times I still was under a net of 1200 and in 6 months I've endured a total of about 3 months of plateaus and still have managed to lose 31 lbs.

But now I've raised my NET to around 1300 and the research I'm still doing suggests my net should be around 1500. I want to see what this does for me but I'm making sure that my NET is around 1300 daily!!! It's definitely working because I'm down a couple of lbs with my weigh in day being tomorrow and I think I've lost 2-3 lbs in the last 2 weeks (1 week of TOM)!!!

Never thought eating more would mean losing more but darned if I'm not the living proof of this!!! (I'm 5'4" and now weigh around 165)
  • cowgirlslikeus86
    cowgirlslikeus86 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Total Daily Energy Expidenture

I don't know why people use it.

Seems like you BMR (Basic Metabolic Rate) is more important then just add on your excercising calories burned.

BMR helps you figure out how many calories your body burns doing nothing but basic functions (Breathing, sleeping, pumping blood, etc.)
  • hippychickuk
    hippychickuk Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Great topic! I started MFP almost 2 weeks ago and it started me at 1200/day. I did my best, but honestly ended up eating closer to 1500/day. I lost 4 lbs my first week! While I loved the weight loss, I know 4lbs a week is not sustainable. So I upped it my second week to 1400/day and have mostly stuck to that. We'll see how it goes.

Came down with a cold today too.. Had to shove in some chocolate to make it to 1400! Funny how when you're trying to lose weight, a cold is a bonus.. :laugh:
    Options
    Total Daily Energy Expidenture

I don't know why people use it.

Seems like you BMR (Basic Metabolic Rate) is more important then just add on your excercising calories burned.

BMR helps you figure out how many calories your body burns doing nothing but basic functions (Breathing, sleeping, pumping blood, etc.)

Why wouldn't you use TDEE?
    BMR of around 1400 is still too low for me to be eating. Even on my 3k days I dont just exercise the whole day. I have class, 2 labs and such. Using just BMR and exercise would create more error for me

TDEE adds in your daily activity. That burns more calories then you would think
  • countryclubber
    Options
    bump :)
  • gashinshotan
    gashinshotan Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    I started at net 1220 and lost 30 lbs over 3 months but then plateaued... I paid for it though - I lost all my strength and I had bad back aches... since increasing to 1600 and cheating one or two days a week the pain went away and my running speed/endurance greatly improved.... now I'm trying to regain some of the muscle I lost to get cut
  • elzettel
    elzettel Posts: 256
    Options
    MFP has had me at 1200 since day 1. If I stick to this I am NOT a happy person to be around. If by chance I am able to get the 1200 one day...I am seriously looking to inhale any carb I can get my hands on the next day! I always eat back my exercise cals which helped me a ton. I'm at that last 5lbs and seem to be creeping up. Recently, I've been feeling dizzy, nausea and generally just not feeling great. I would normally workout 5-6 days/week for about 45min to an 1 hour (longer when training for a 1/2 marathon). My Dr. suggested upping my protein which helps but I didn't quite feel like myself still. I cut back on the workouts and upped my cals but stopped tracking (I still eat healthy but was concentrating on how my body felt rather than the calorie amount). Of course I've gained a few pounds but haven't had any of the other symptoms since (yeah!). Now, I want to get back to tracking to get rid of the recent lbs and lose those stubborn last 5. I've increased my workouts and am beginning to track cals again. I changed my daily intake to 1500 which seems to be ok but I haven't pushed my workouts too hard. In calculating my TDEE it shows 2,321 calories for heavy exercise (which I was doing) and 2,085 for moderate (what I'm at now). I was considering trying Insanity again (had to stop after 1 month due to how I was feeling) but think I should up my calories a bit more for it.
  • mommyb923
    mommyb923 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I haven't actually changed my goal, but I make sure I eat every single calorie I earn from working out! I also don't fret if I am within 100 calories at the end of the day. Once I started this, the weight started falling off! I couldn't lose a pound before and then lost 3.5 in 3 weeks! Woot!

This is why I advocate eating and warn against fad diets (particularly low carb). The ranges are there for a reason and your body needs all of these things to function properly! Eat!! :)
  • kaylammurphy
    Options
    I switched mine :) After looking at the BMR for a person at the weight I want to be, I realized that 1200 calories just wasn't right, so I bumped mine up to 2000 :) For my height (5'4") I would end up weighing 82.1# on a 1200 calorie diet. Hello anorexia!
  • DixiedoesMFP
    DixiedoesMFP Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    I tried 1200 calories for about 3 days. Man, was I cranky. I generally eat around 1650 calories a day and that is much more manageable. The weight is not coming off superfast, but it is coming off, and I look a lot better.

BMR is important because you don't want to go BELOW those calories, as that as the number of calories needed to perform essential life functions. Mine is around 1430.

TDEE is important because a pretty active person (like Sunshine) can burn a ton of calories in a day and create a huge difference between BMR and TDEE which can be counterproductive. I recently got a Body Bugg and my TDEE is around 2400 most days. That's working a desk job. The majority of my calories burned come from household chores (mopping, etc) and working out for about an hour most days of the week.
  • rebeccap13
    rebeccap13 Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Isn't MFP giving you a TDEE because it asks your activity level? Just curious. I hadn't heard of TDEE and am actually looking at upping my calories from 1300 to see if that helps with losing.
  • gashinshotan
    gashinshotan Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    Yeah I had bad pains at 1220 cals with all the running I was doing.... I lost a lot of fat but I felt sore and sometimes even depressed throughout the day which went away when I increased my cals.
    I tried 1200 calories for about 3 days. Man, was I cranky. I generally eat around 1650 calories a day and that is much more manageable. The weight is not coming off superfast, but it is coming off, and I look a lot better.

BMR is important because you don't want to go BELOW those calories, as that as the number of calories needed to perform essential life functions. Mine is around 1430.

TDEE is important because a pretty active person (like Sunshine) can burn a ton of calories in a day and create a huge difference between BMR and TDEE which can be counterproductive. I recently got a Body Bugg and my TDEE is around 2400 most days. That's working a desk job. The majority of my calories burned come from household chores (mopping, etc) and working out for about an hour most days of the week.
  • HoLLyZ82
    HoLLyZ82 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    i too started out at 1200 calories on here and have stalled out for months. i raised it to 1400-1500 now i eat any where from 1800-2400 cals. hoping to see some progress soon :) my TDEE (i weara bodybugg) on average is 2550