Who statrted at 1200 but raised their goal?

Options

Replies

• miriyaparino
    miriyaparino Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Great thread, it's good to read about everyones' experiences. 1200 a day for me is way difficult, esp. during PMS. I'm going to kick it up to 1500ish and see how it goes. Thanks!
  • luvsherhubby
    luvsherhubby Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I started at 1200 and for a month, I did loose steadily. But when I got my body tracker I saw I was easily burning 2100-2200 just from normal activity- no exercise.w exercise i burn 2500-3000 So since then i have upped it to a max of 1500 not net w exercise, usualy consuming 1350-1450 a day. to have my daily burn be correct on mfp i had to pick ver active- which before i had it on sedintary. they should add, mom with todler under description of very active lol
  • SammyPacks
    SammyPacks Posts: 697 Member
    Options
    How do you calculate your TDEE and your maintenance calories?

Here is a worksheet for Excell:

http://interzone.kicks-*kitten*.net/Calculating_calories.xls

(only fill in the "Only Fill Here" section. Use the section below that for your conversions. Over on the left you'll see BMR, Mainenance, Cut, Gain. The cut is how many to eat to lose, gain is to gain weight. On the right you'll see what your weight movement should look like and the % of your portions should you choose to custom your goals here on MFP) Someone over in Nutrition posted this. He put some time in to it for sure!

fantastic thanks for the share

Thanks so much for this! I need to eat around 2100 calories!!! I'm at 1900, but I will glady up it!
  • redjen
    redjen Posts: 12
    Options
    I started on 1200 as well- only lasted a couple of days feeling constantly hungry and without energy. Now onto 1350 a day but after reading everyone's experiences, i think i'll bump it up to 1450/1500 and trial that!
  • engelm
    Options
    I raised my goal for a while. But since switching to a Paleo regimen, I eat alot, and since I do not have nearly as many calories in the food I am eating. Paleolithic is not for everyone, but if you have determination and self control, it is totally worth it.
  • granolagrl85
    Options
    I'm at 1200 and will stay here. It's actually more than my maitnance calories for my goal weight.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    TDEE followers - eat back exercise calories or no?

If you know your TDEE then it includes your exercise. You just apply a calorie deficit to the total TDEE. It makes the question of exercise calories moot.
  • cpiton
    cpiton Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I started at 1200 and stalled big time, after losing 6 pounds. I raised it to 1350 recently and lost 2 pounds pretty quickly.

According to an online calculator, my BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate) for my goal weight is 1315 and my TDEE is 1808. How much do these calculators vary, and does anyone have a link to one they feel is most accurate?

Thanks!

Edit: I checked the "light activity" box on the calculator. I burn about 700 calories 6 days a week.
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    Me.

Considering my TDEE on sedentary days is 1,850 and sometimes close to 3,000 on active days - 1,200 is way too low for me. I'm eating between 1,500 and 2,500 now that I am pretty much at goal and just trying to lose body fat.

I don't know how I lived on 1,200 and I certainly never had the energy to do any exercise worth a damn.
  • MrsCon40
    Options

If you track your TDEE (with a BMF or BB) then you just eat at a prescribed deficit. Exercise calories are irrelevant.
  • stephabef
    stephabef Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    How do you calculate your TDEE and your maintenance calories?

Here is a worksheet for Excell:

http://interzone.kicks-*kitten*.net/Calculating_calories.xls

(only fill in the "Only Fill Here" section. Use the section below that for your conversions. Over on the left you'll see BMR, Mainenance, Cut, Gain. The cut is how many to eat to lose, gain is to gain weight. On the right you'll see what your weight movement should look like and the % of your portions should you choose to custom your goals here on MFP) Someone over in Nutrition posted this. He put some time in to it for sure!

fantastic thanks for the share

Thanks so much for this! I need to eat around 2100 calories!!! I'm at 1900, but I will glady up it!

Where do I look to see what I should be eating? Apparently at 1400 cals I'm at -34%... and the acceptable range is 15%?
  • Canadien
    Canadien Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I started at 1200 and raised it to 1350, but I still usually eat around 1100 a day. :)
  • MrsCon40
    Options
    I started at 1200 and raised it to 1350, but I still usually eat around 1100 a day. :)

Then why did you raise it?
  • JennieAL
    JennieAL Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options
    I started out using 1200. Once I started reading more, lifting weights and realizing I was sometimes ravenously hungry after my workouts, I used several different calculators to figure up that I need about 1400 on days I don't work out (this is at the max a 20% calorie deficit) and 1600-1800 on days I do work out. Usually I stay around 1600 though.
  • scapez
    scapez Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options

If you know your TDEE then it includes your exercise. You just apply a calorie deficit to the total TDEE. It makes the question of exercise calories moot.
    Ah. Thanks.
  • pumpkin_mel
    Options
    I have been on 1200 calories for 60 days & no results actually even gained a few, after reading a post from ANewLucia I'm taking her advice.... I figured my TDEE on www.cordianet.com/calculator.htm and set mymfp calories to 1400, going to try this "eat more weigh less" theory, my metabolism is stuck & I'm working my butt off 4 to 6 days a week w/circuit training , elliptical/jogging, I want to see some results:wink:
  • Canadien
    Canadien Posts: 122 Member
    Options

Because I always felt guilty whenever the amount of calories remaining was less than 100, lol. I don't know why. I just felt better knowing MFP "allowed" me to have more than 100 calories left, in case I got hungry. :P
  • andrejjorje
    andrejjorje Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I started about 3 1/2 months ago and I keep losing about 15 lbs/month at 1000 cals/day. The first 2 weeks were hard but then everything leveled out. I'm not hungry and I'm good in the gym 3-5 times/week. I don't eat my calories back and I don't feel weak.
    I had from the beginning 1g of protein per 1 lbs of LBM.
    I started out at 245 lbs and now I'm 197 lbs.
    2 weeks ago I switched to a Paleo diet and because of the higher fat intake I increased from 1000 to 1200.
    The result is great. I feel even better and I lose fat faster.
    It works for me. Everybody is different.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options

Because I always felt guilty whenever the amount of calories remaining was less than 100, lol. I don't know why. I just felt better knowing MFP "allowed" me to have more than 100 calories left, in case I got hungry. :P

In that case, you should probably set it to 1600-1800 :)
  • Chevitz
    Options
    Thanks for this!!! I just calculated my TDEE and it's 2450! WHOA!
    I've been sticking to 1200 cals MFP has put me on, and I burn 600 - 850 calories daily from my Insanity work out... and MAN I am HUNGRY like the wolf in the evenings... I eat back *some* of my work out calories but not nearly (obviously) what I should. I don't have much weight to lose (I'm 5'8" & 144 lbs) but am focused on toning and BF% and it's all tied together. I've had 2 kids (in '08 & '10) and I'm still "repairing" my body from that ;) Yay, can't wait to eat MORE!!! :happy: