what's fair? financial dispute, opinions wanted...

Options
kelseyhere
kelseyhere Posts: 1,123 Member
Alright, so I'm in the middle of a financial dispute with a friend, and I need some outside opinions on this. This is the situation...

December 20- She asks me if I'd like to go skiing with her in February. The trip is sponsored by her work, and everything is included. At that time, I tell her I'm interested but not sure because the trip is the same week of a huge industry conference that I will most likely have to attend for my job.

January 3- My manager says I won't go to the conference, so I tell my friend I'm in for the ski trip. I ask about payment, and she says don't worry about it for now. According to the flyer she gave me, payment is due in full on January 19th. So like she says, I don't worry about it.

January 18- My manager changes his mind, says I have to go to the conference, but there is possibility I could still go on the trip. I immeditely contact my friend, and tell her that now I don't think I can go. There is a slim chance, but it's unlikely. I tell her she should ask other friends and don't count on me. At this point, I offer to refund her the deposit. I offer to refund because according to the flyer the deposit was due on January 3rd, and the final payment on January 19th. I assumed she paid the deposit, even though she never said specifically.

Last Week- She e-mails and asks if I'm still going. I say no, I can't. She writes back and says I owe her the full amount ($535) for the trip. I write her back and say, that doesn't seem fair, because I told her before the deadline that I wasn't sure, and it was her decision to pay for the both of us. Now, at no time did she ever tell me that she paid. In her e-mail, she says the money was due on January 1st, even though the flyer she gave me says the 19th. So according to her, when I told her on the 18th that I probably couldn't go afterall, it was already too late, because she had paid the full amount on the 1st.

Now to me, she jumped the gun by paying before the actual deadline. I told her I would refund the depost ($100) and nothing more, because as of January 18th, when I told her I couldn't go, that was all I thought she had paid. Again, my assumption was based on the deadlines on the flyer.

Today she told me she found another friend that can go, but can only afford to pay $260, so she wants me to make up the rest ($270). I don't know this other person, so why should I have to pay for them to go a 1/2 price ski trip? In my eyes, it's her friend, and if she really wants them to go, she should pay the extra for them to come.

On top of it all, and maybe this shouldn't matter, she makes a lot more money than I do. $270 is another outfit from Banana Republic for her, for me it's my groceries for the month.

I think I'm being more than generous by giving her $100. In my eyes, it was her responsibility to coordinate everything since her job is the sponsor. She was never clear or explicit with me about payment, so again that is her fault, not mine. If she was worried about the money, she should have collected up front or only paid for herself.

So who do you think is right? What is fair? Is she crazy to ask me to pay for her friend? Am I wrong? Do I even owe her the $100? I know all you MFP people have plenty of opinions, so share away!

Replies

• kelseyhere
    kelseyhere Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    Come on people, what do you think?
  • runninggirl54
    Options
    your friend did say don't worry about it when you asked about a deposit. to me, she should have kept you in the loop about when she was making payments as you did w/ telling her about your work conference. i think you are being more then generous. plus you are not going on the trip so why should you pay. if the other girl goes she should pay the full amt or just get a full refund.
  • cekeys
    cekeys Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Is your friendship worth $270?

While I agree that you're right and that your friend jumped the gun & paid the fees too soon, there really isn't a good solution to this problem. If you don't pay, there will be a weirdness between you two that could eventually end the friendship, so you have to ask yourself, "Is your friendship worth $270"?
  • dizzydi1968
    Options
    Why would she pay in full on 1st January when you didnt agree to go unil 3rd January?

I think as you agreed to go you should refund her the $100 deposit but no more. If she has a friend who can go then they should share the cost less the deposit you pay.

However,I lost a friend over a very similar issue many years ago. How important is she to you? If you need to keep her in your life pay her in full.
  • macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Options
    January 18- My manager changes his mind, says I have to go to the conference, but there is possibility I could still go on the trip. I immeditely contact my friend, and tell her that now I don't think I can go. There is a slim chance, but it's unlikely. I tell her she should ask other friends and don't count on me. At this point, I offer to refund her the deposit. I offer to refund because according to the flyer the deposit was due on January 3rd, and the final payment on January 19th. I assumed she paid the deposit, even though she never said specifically.

Last Week- She e-mails and asks if I'm still going.
    I'm confused between January 18th and here. You told her there was a slim chance you could go, but offered to refund her the deposit? If you didn't refund the deposit, then maybe she assumed you were going. I think there were too many assumptions on both parts.
    So who do you think is right? What is fair? Is she crazy to ask me to pay for her friend? Am I wrong? Do I even owe her the $100? I know all you MFP people have plenty of opinions, so share away!
    You were wishy-washy, so she never should have paid in full for you. In her defense, you did send mixed messages. What seems fair to me is both of you split the cost of the mistake. So, if the total was $535 and she actually paid it, and the other friend can pay $260, y'all should split the difference and each be responsible for $137.50. Make sense?
  • lour441
    lour441 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    It seems to me that you have made up your mind on this issue so fairness is not really relevant. If you value the friendship then do what you need to do to keep it.
  • AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    Why would she pay in full on 1st January when you didnt agree to go unil 3rd January?

I think as you agreed to go you should refund her the $100 deposit but no more. If she has a friend who can go then they should share the cost less the deposit you pay.

However,I lost a friend over a very similar issue many years ago. How important is she to you? If you need to keep her in your life pay her in full.

^^This
  • spikess
    spikess Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    i think you owe her the deposit, as it isn't her fault that your manager changed his mind.

ignoring the fact she has managed to find someone to go in your place (even if she does want you to put extra towards it) don't most places have cancellation policies? surely she would have been able to cancel your place and get a refund? i know some places will keep a % depending how long it takes you to cancel, but i think it would have been fairer of her to have asked for that % back rather than the full amount!
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options

Yes, this.
  • i_love_vinegar
    i_love_vinegar Posts: 2,092 Member
    Options
    I think your friend is being ridiculous, asking you to pay 1/2 the ticket for her friend -- who you don't even know.

I would suggest paying the refund, next time you see your friend give her a box of chocolates and some flowers. Say sorry for the drama, but paying for someone else is NOT your responsibility, nor should it be. Ridiculous!
  • Anderia
    Anderia Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    Maybe I read this wrong but if your friend already paid for the entire trip (the 535 dollars) and she found someone else to go in your place...why should you have to pay anything at all? She isn't losing any money if someone else is going in your place. I think she should ask the person who took your place to pay the other half since the other friend agreed to go.

To agree with the others, why would she pay in full on 1st when you didn't give her an answer until the 3rd...that is her fault....
  • 0PhAtDaDdY
    0PhAtDaDdY Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    If a person is the sponsor of a trip you tell all others if you want to go you pay this amount by this time if you don't, you don't go end of story no confusing....if you had paid by your pay date and you decide not too go then you loooossseee ya money...
  • imfittted
    imfittted Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I think you should try to talk to her again about it. Explain your side again -which everything you have said makes sense to me. Remind her that you were informed that she hadn't paid yet, in which case you are not liable for the full payment, just the deposit. Tell her that you are worried about losing a friend over something silly like this and that you having to pay that much without going is a bit of a burden on you. If she makes you pay after all of that, I would refuse. You seem like a really nice person and it would be manipulative of her to make you pay for another person to go, especially if the both of you were not fully liable according to the flyer. For the future, I would probably just say no to doing anything else that may involve you making a financial commitment in advance with this particular friend.

Good luck.
  • KimmieBrie
    KimmieBrie Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    You two have a communication problem.

If it were my friend, when I cancelled on the 18th I would have made sure she hadn't paid yet and cleared things up then if she had.
    I also would have made sure they weren't paying anything for me from the get go without my explicit knowledge and consent.

I would absolutely not pay for someone else's ski trip. She also should have been responsible in making sure you were going to pay BEFORE she paid 500 whatever dollars.

If you feel responsible for the deposit - pay it.

Money can ruin friendships.Take a lesson from this and be clear in all future situations.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    Maybe I read this wrong but if your friend already paid for the entire trip (the 535 dollars) and she found someone else to go in your place...why should you have to pay anything at all? She isn't losing any money if someone else is going in your place. I think she should ask the person who took your place to pay the other half since the other friend agreed to go.

To agree with the others, why would she pay in full on 1st when you didn't give her an answer until the 3rd...that is her fault....

I agree with this. It's not like she's out any money if she found someone to go in your place, so I absolutely would not pay for her other friend to go in your place. Not a single dime. If the other friend can't afford it and your friend doesn't want to pay for her, then she shouldn't go.

And I agree you should've cleared all these details way before the payment deadline. But I am somewhat of a control freak. I cannot stand making plans with someone who volunteers to handle the details and then tells me "don't worry about it" when I check in with her to make sure I have done everything I need to do.

The bottom line, though, is that the people above are right about deciding what your friendship is worth.
  • the_energy
    Options
    If someone else is going they pay the money!
  • philOHIO
    philOHIO Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    THIS IS WHY YOU DON'T LEND MONEY TO FRIENDS, OR PAY FOR SOMEONE ELSE!!!!! If you paid the money for the trip yourself, there would be no dispute. I don't lend money, been screwed before, ruins friendships. I can give you a 100 woulda-shoulda-coulda situations, but if you had OTHER POSSIBLE COMMITMENTS, you should have declined.
  • onedayillbamilf
    onedayillbamilf Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    Some people actually pay things BEFORE the deadline, which sounds like what she did. Just because YOU like to wait until the last day to do things doesn't mean that's what everyone else likes. Our ski trip was paid for months in advance and weeks before the deadline. So step out of denial and pay your friend back. You're being a jerk.
  • Milliebear66
    Milliebear66 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I think I'm being more than generous by giving her $100. In my eyes, it was her responsibility to coordinate everything since her job is the sponsor. She was never clear or explicit with me about payment, so again that is her fault, not mine. If she was worried about the money, she should have collected up front or only paid for herself.

[/quote]

You are being more than generous by giving her $100. . Yes it was HER responsibility and she said to you before 'don't worry about it' Don't pay for her friend.. I would not give anything at all as, according to dates, did you need to? NO..

Lesson learnt here that never mix friendship with money ..
  • Milliebear66
    Milliebear66 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Some people actually pay things BEFORE the deadline, which sounds like what she did. Just because YOU like to wait until the last day to do things doesn't mean that's what everyone else likes. Our ski trip was paid for months in advance and weeks before the deadline. So step out of denial and pay your friend back. You're being a jerk.

There is a deadline .. cut off time.. last possible time for payment .. this is for a reason.. just because you were lucky enough to be able to pay for your ski trip before the deadline doesn't mean that others are in the same situation, don't be too judgemental.. The lady has said that her friend has more disposible income and can buy clothes whilst she has concerns over putting food on the table .. don't be nasty. Writing in capital letters is rather rude too ...