Do you think people are lacking 'class'?

Options

Replies

• sjtreely
    sjtreely Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    Let me tell you a little story ......

I've been teaching for 26 years. Last year I had a student who was using as many avoidance techniques as humanly possible to not doing his work. I had had enough of his antics and told him, "Here's the deal, you're not going to lunch until your work is complete."

Lunch was 7 minutes from the time I made the statement. The work he needed to complete would take him 3 minutes at most to complete.

He called my bluff.

When it was lunch time and his work wasn't done, he told me it was his lunch time. I acknowledge it was, but since his work wasn't done he wasn't going. He cried.

He cried for another 7 minutes and then must have realized I meant what I said.

He put forth the effort to complete the work. He was done in 2 minutes. Two. He left for lunch and entered the line with the rest of his peers.

After school his mother was sooooo outraged she went straight to central office. After that she went straight to our DOE. There was a full blown investigation at the state level about my behavior as a teacher and my intent to deny this student the right to eat.

True story. I can't make that stuff up.

As it turns out, I did nothing wrong. Well ....... I was cited for raising student expectations even when the parent wanted to settle for less than what her son was capable of doing.

Yes, I believe we live in a society of entitlement. Sadly, I see it getting worse before getting better.
  • philOHIO
    philOHIO Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    By reading the responses, not only do we lack class as a society - not enough money is invested in our educational system!
  • auticus
    auticus Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    I think that we live in a society of "me" where it's all about " me", "I", and getting "what's mine". You hear a lot of "I deserve", "you deserve", "I am entitled". This society is entirely based on getting ahead at the expense of others, where there are two classes of people. "Winners" and "everyone else".

Technology's only fault in this would be to take your world from a local-scale, to a global-scale, meaning you can see it happening everywhere as opposed to only your small niche in the world.
  • _binary_jester_
    _binary_jester_ Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    It seems every generation says the next spells doom for the earth. As devolving accusations go, soon we will be back to living in caves and bonking women over the head and dragging them back to said cave.
  • auticus
    Options
    I don't think it's a generational thing. Quite honestly the generation above mine, my generation, and the generation below mine are all equally immersed in the "i'm entitled to this" mindset.
  • aprilshowers262
    aprilshowers262 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    This has been something I’ve been getting angrier over for a while now. I guess I have a 1950s mentality (even though I was born in the 80s). I don’t know about anyone else but the youth of today just freak me out with how entitled they seem (not all, of course, but a pretty large amount) and how they don’t care who they step on to get what they want. I feel like, in no time, Children of the Corn will come to life, except they won’t have machetes they’ll have laptops. But I can’t blame just them as it begins in the home. Considering how easy everything is for us now, I really can’t understand why we can’t make more time for the family? With the birth of the internet, came the death of the “family.”
  • srp2011
    srp2011 Posts: 1,829 Member
    Options
    I work in a middle school. That alone should say enough! Being around those children, I have come to believe, it's the parents whose actions, or lack of, are teaching their children to act the same way. I have 5 children myself....3 are in middle school, 2 in elementary. I also believe it goes back a generation or 2. Somewhere along the line someone dropped the ball & it has escalated from there. I'm not bashing anyone or pointing fingers but respect has a huge part in this.

^^This^^ It all goes back to the narcissistic parenting style that really caught on with the GenXers and snowballed from there. You can tell the problem isn't caused by the teachers when you watch parents interact (or not) with their children in any public place. I fly a lot, and most parents who bring their kids on a plane could care less if there child is screaming, kicking the seats in front of them, throwing food around, and God forbid you say something about it. They have the 'right' to ruin the flight for all of the other passengers, because it's all about "Me Me Me". "My rights are important, you don't have any". You see the same thing in stores - it's ok for the kids to run around screaming, knocking into people, damaging the store merchandise, etc... and the parents completely tune them out. But they're the loudest out there on the front lines screaming about how you better not infringe on their rights to do whatever they want, whenever they want, even if it infringes on other people's rights. They don't have respect for other people (questionable as to whether they have respect for themselves), and they teach their kids the same thing.

Civility and class are really based on having some consideration for others, and thinking of someone besides yourself. Unfortunately, it only seems to be getting worse, and I can't imagine what it would take to turn it around.
  • mixedfeelings
    mixedfeelings Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    Not really class but respect and manners. Everyone thinks they deserve respect yet they seem to fail to show people the respect they deserve. There are just too many grumpy, rude, people, always in a rush and act like they are the only person busy, pushing in queues, dumping their rubbish wherever they fancy. I'm always polite and try to be as helpful as I can.

It seems these days, if someone falls over, the majority of the crowd would be stood around with their phones taking photos rather than helping. This could be just me, where I am, I would love to live in a place full of polite, happy people willing to lend a hand.

I think we can be too insular these days, we don't really know our community.
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    You hit the nail on the head with the technology. I believe we forget that just because we can be superhero ignorant messes via a keyboard and can posts in so many forums unknown we translate that to real life. people feel entitled to express their opinions ALL their opinions and that's simply not necessary
  • the_journeyman
    the_journeyman Posts: 1,877 Member
    Options
    It's because these days children are all taught in school that they're entitled to get what they want. They're not allowed to fail, they're not allowed to excel, they aren't taught manners, and they aren't punished when they're obnoxious or disrespectful to others.

The above paragraph is a result of using schools as the scapegoat for problems that originate AT HOME

Discipline?

This paragraph is a result of the lack of options for discipline we have as teachers. I remember being paddled by my first grade teacher. Now, we can't even touch a kid. If I pull a kid away from a fight, I can loose my job or get sued. Discipline now is just silent lunch, in-school suspension, and out-of-school suspension. The problem is, the students that are constant discipline problems that act the way the OP describes have no consequence AT HOME when they get in trouble at school. The parents behave a certain way, the child feels that is acceptable behavior.

Manners?

Well, we try, but if the child is allowed to use foul language or be disrespectful at home, it won't matter what we teach them at school. We do punish them, get a ear full full from the parents because we're picking on their kid, and the behavior continues. Once again, if it's allowed AT HOME, it doesn't matter that they got ISS or whatever because they are going home to no consequences.

Failing?

They are allowed to fail, I hand out plenty of F grades, BUT students are often still passed on to the next grade when they clearly don't have the knowledge. I can't tell you how many times I get a call from a parent, screaming at me because there's no way their kid could fail, and that I must "have it in" for them since I sent home an F on a report card. What happens on the next report card? The student fails again because it's not addressed AT HOME

Hear! Hear Ebbtime! I work in middle school!!!

JM
  • auticus
    Options
    I fully agree with you JM.
  • paigemarie93
    paigemarie93 Posts: 778 Member
    Options
    Definitely, I went to a restaurant the other day, kids where running around everywhere screaming, & other kids where fighting, the parents of the kids didn't care, then one woman shouts "Oi, there's toddlers in here, if you want to fight, piss off & do it outside"... it would have all been well if she didn't swear as well.

If I ever acted like that as a child I would have been grounded for my entire life! I wouldn't dare act like that, I obey my parents, I'm polite & respectful to everyone, some kids & adults these days just put me at a loss for words at how loud, obnoxious & toxic they are.
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    It's because these days children are all taught in school that they're entitled to get what they want. They're not allowed to fail, they're not allowed to excel, they aren't taught manners, and they aren't punished when they're obnoxious or disrespectful to others.

I think teachers have less control these days...

That's definitely true.
  • SLaw4215
    SLaw4215 Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    I believe we have lost not only class, but civility. And it's a shame, because it doesn't have to be that way. Regardless of technology or velocity of life, we need to treat each other better. Even a simple "please" and "thank you". Not in a sniveling, permission-seeking way, but as acknowledgement of humanity (from one important person to another). Best summed up in the Sanskrit word "Namaste", which has no real equivalent in the West. But it's a great word with a great intention--

"That which is Highest and Finest in me greets that which is Highest and finest in you".

What a world this would be if we would all embrace this concept--Namaste.
    --LEWIS
    <3*<3*<3*<3*<3 I absolutely agree. And as a parent of 2 children (23 + 13) I am very aware of how they speak to each other, their friends, and me and I'm constantly reminding them to speak softer, act kinder, be forgiving, etc and that you can not speak to people in real life like you do when you're online or playing a game. Someone will snap and kick your @$$ (might be ME LOL) <3*<3*<3*<3*<3

I manage an inbound call center and I'm saddened to say that I hear people behaving at their worst so much that it's become our "norm". We used to say that people would say things on the phone that they wouldn't say to our faces but even that's not 100% anymore. They say children are our futures. We need to teach at all levels to not let evil win over good.:flowerforyou: PEACE LOVE AND CHARITY FOR ALL
  • paigemarie93
    paigemarie93 Posts: 778 Member
    Options
    Yes. I do. But we will raise our boys to be men. Yes mam and No Sir. Thank you and can I help you with that. They know to give up there seat for an adult. Woman are not called names but cherished and respected. There Dad has the last say and money doesn't grow on trees.

This is how I was brought up, give my seat up for the elderly/pregnant/disabled, respect my elders. If I wanted anything I had to work for it by doing extra chores.
    When I was little I used to think my life sucked because I had to do chores & wasn't aloud to get away with blue murder like my friends. Now that I'm older, I'm thankful that I was told off for doing things wrong & had things taken off me for punishment, I'm glad for my entire upbringing because I look at other kids my age & younger who were spoiled & got gifts when they where naughty to make them behave ( that never works) & got away with everything & they're running riot.
  • smantha32
    Options
    This may not be popular but I believe much can be attributed to the "special snowflake" attitude that has become the norm in child upbringing over the last 20-25 years.
    The idea of participation trophies and not keeping score in games so that everyone is a winner.
    I get trying to establish self esteem but I think that has to come from self respect not an artificial atmosphere that is not the reality of life where there are winners and losers,successes and failures.

The whole thing has led IMO to people that can`t understand or cope with the fact that sometimes things go wrong or not as we wish them to.
    Now the expectation is that whatever has happened must be made right by someone instantly because that is what is owed.
    When that doesn`t happen the reaction is anger,impatience and a need to lash out.

You expressed it much better than I did. :smile:
  • SLaw4215
    SLaw4215 Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    I'm not attacking you, but I hear this quite often and I just have to say that this is not the case with my son and his school. He's always been held accountable for his school work and his behavior, both by his teachers and at home. Not all children are a-holes and not all schools allow them to be.
    It's because children are being taught AT HOME that they don't have to work for nice things... iPods, PS3, etc etc... parents are the enablers. Kids don't appreciate money because they don't have to do anything but wait for their parents next pay day or a holiday/birthday.. OH and I know because I was one of those parents until my kids behaved like they were ungrateful...now ask them what they get for nothing... HUGS AND KISSES!!!!!!!!!!
  • smantha32
    Options
    I'm not attacking you, but I hear this quite often and I just have to say that this is not the case with my son and his school. He's always been held accountable for his school work and his behavior, both by his teachers and at home. Not all children are a-holes and not all schools allow them to be.

Oh, I meant it as a generalization. There are definitely exceptions. :)
  • RoxRae
    RoxRae Posts: 60
    Options
    I so totally agree with you. I work in education and have seen the difference in our young people over the years. A lot of teenagers cannot hold a face to face conversation anymore. I firmly believe this is due to texting and facebooking. Everything has become so impersonal and there is a marked lack of civility and politeness wherever you go. I'm very sad about it too. I don't know what the answer is, but something needs to be different. Our society as a whole is heading in a direction that is looking pretty scary.
  • thepetiterunner
    thepetiterunner Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    I think that largely depends on what you consider "class" to be. From a sociological standpoint, class is a lot of things, but mainly it is an agreed understanding of a set of behaviors/guidelines/etiquette/what have you, that pertain to a certain group of people of perhaps similar socioeconomic levels, backgrounds, regions, etc. It is easy to say that someone "doesn't have class" but what that really translates to is their culture or "class" is different than yours. It's not difficult to feel discomfort when someone reacts in a way that is unexpected or different from how you would.

Sure, there have been plenty of times people have done things I considered to be "rude" or "not classy", but that's really just me viewing their behaviors through my own, specific lens of "class". I think the definitions of class change over time and space, so your experiences may vary where you are. For example, my experiences on the subway in NY and CT were very different than those of me riding on the BART in San Francisco. Were people less "classier"? No, it's just that the agreed upon behaviors and expectations were different. Not bad, just different.