Would you have said something?

Options
2»

Replies

• Terk1968
    Terk1968 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    There are certain medications for High blood pressure that have a side effect of a lower heart rate. I currently take two that have this side effect. I have to really struggle to elevate my heart rate to 130 -140 (I have a Polar ft7 heart rate monitor). It’s possible that she could be on a similar medication.
  • laddyboy
    laddyboy Posts: 1,565 Member
    Options
    I would have stuck a tire iron in her wheel so she would go flying off the machine and then stood over her and said, "now take that annoying beeping thingy and get the hell out". Nah, just kidding. I would have done what you did. Look for an opening but not said anything unless there was one.
    Eventually you'll over hear her saying something about not losing weight fast enough or something like that. Get her then.
  • rob_v
    rob_v Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    You should have ripped it off her wrist, smashed it and tell her to get a real HRM! :happy:

Lol.

I tend to agree w/ Lora - mention it to the instructor, most of the time they are very helpful.

Just have to ask one other question :
    She was keeping up with the hills and jumps.
    Jumps??? what kind of spin class do they offer at your place ;)
  • Miss♥Ivi
    Options
    You got to be CONVINCING! Lol

You start off by commending her on her ability to keep up being that she's new and all. Of course, you have to follow that up with something like "When I started, I had such a hard time..." blah blah blah to make sure she doesn't take the first thing you said as a "pity compliment". Use hand gestures and facial expressions!

Then you mention her HRM and tell her yours use to beep but then it all of a sudden stopped and wanted to know how to get it to do that again. You eagerly look at hers and look perplexed but interested. This is where you ask model, make and how much. Mention accuracy! You tell her yours might be messed up because it says you get to the 180s when you do a climb. Ask her to compare the HR during those peaks. When she says 130, you seem utterly concerned and continue to tell her that it is way too low. Something MUST be wrong with both of your HRM's! If she's at all convinced by your charm and genuine concern, she'll probably go home and google it :laugh:
  • kagenw
    kagenw Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    maybe her heart is just lazy :)
  • lindasain
    lindasain Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    you did right but the beeping would of drove me nuts..
  • firesoforion
    firesoforion Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    I would've done the same as you did, left it alone. Unsolicited advice is rarely taken in the spirit it is intended, and the great disparity in your physical conditions makes it even more likely she could feel offended/embarassed/unhappy.

This exactly.
  • fat_tastic
    Options
    If it were you wouldn't you want someone to tell you? I know I would want someone to tell me.
  • BaconMD
    BaconMD Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    My wife's heart rate is very low. It concerns her, but her doctor doesn't think it's an issue. She wants to be able to get her heart rate high, but it's very tough for her. My point is, not everyone's heart rate is the same and this woman's HRM may not be the culprit.

The beeping would be annoying, though. If you become friendly, you could end up helping her set it right, or try out a better model - or even learn that she struggles with low heart rate.
  • swilk627
    swilk627 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    You should have ripped it off her wrist, smashed it and tell her to get a real HRM! :happy:

Lol.

I tend to agree w/ Lora - mention it to the instructor, most of the time they are very helpful.

Just have to ask one other question :
    She was keeping up with the hills and jumps.
    Jumps??? what kind of spin class do they offer at your place ;)

Well, that's what the instructors call them.....Where we stand then sit pretty quickly - counts of 8, then 4, then 2.
  • Reinventing_Me
    Reinventing_Me Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    I would have started a casual conversation with her about it. Not complaining... just asking what kind it was, how she likes it, features, notifications when she's iin her zone (the beeping), etc. You could have told her about yours. I'm sure she would have liked to meet a new acquaintance just as you probably would have (I hope). You could have casually worked in that hers beeped a lot and how she has it set or that her number wasn't high and what that meant to her. Maybe she just didn't know otherwise. A lot of people don't - especially if they're new to wearing them.

Another thing is we do ourselves a disservice when comparing ourselves to others fitness level. Perhaps she does have a strong cardio system and is able to manage the rigors of a spin class. Perhaps it wan't her first class - you just never know. I mean, I can out-walk people half my size, but because of my size, one would think that it would be the other way around.

Perhaps there's a medical condition.

Just sayin'.
  • swilk627
    Options
    I would have started a casual conversation with her about it. Not complaining... just asking what kind it was, how she likes it, features, notifications when she's iin her zone (the beeping), etc. You could have told her about yours. I'm sure she would have liked to meet a new acquaintance just as you probably would have (I hope). You could have casually worked in that hers beeped a lot and how she has it set or that her number wasn't high and what that meant to her. Maybe she just didn't know otherwise. A lot of people don't - especially if they're new to wearing them.

Another thing is we do ourselves a disservice when comparing ourselves to others fitness level. Perhaps she does have a strong cardio system and is able to manage the rigors of a spin class. Perhaps it wan't her first class - you just never know. I mean, I can out-walk people half my size, but because of my size, one would think that it would be the other way around.

Perhaps there's a medical condition.

Just sayin'.

All good points - and all played into my thinking. However, I do know for a fact it was her first spin class because she said it was. :)
  • Kissybiz
    Kissybiz Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't have said anything the first time around, although I can understand your annoyance. Just like people on cell phones in the gym, I wanna grab em and smash em! ugh..

But I too have a HRM that's supposed to beep whenever I'm over or under my hi or low targets. It's a feature you can turn off. My HRM also isn't very accurate.. I wonder if she has the same one I have.. because no matter how hard I pump, I can't get it above 120. IT TOTALLY SUCKS! (Seriously considering getting the one you have).

Whatever you do... do it with sincerity and a smile. (Unless it's a cell phone user.. smash it with conviction and disdain!)
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    My wife's heart rate is very low. It concerns her, but her doctor doesn't think it's an issue. She wants to be able to get her heart rate high, but it's very tough for her. My point is, not everyone's heart rate is the same and this woman's HRM may not be the culprit.

The beeping would be annoying, though. If you become friendly, you could end up helping her set it right, or try out a better model - or even learn that she struggles with low heart rate.
    My sister is like this, too. Her natural heart rate is just really low. It's lower still because she's in great shape. She and I go running together and while my HR is sitting in the mid-170s, hers is barely above 130. We're about the same height and weight. She complains about the calorie burns, too.
  • swilk627
    Options
    I wouldn't have said anything the first time around, although I can understand your annoyance. Just like people on cell phones in the gym, I wanna grab em and smash em! ugh..

But I too have a HRM that's supposed to beep whenever I'm over or under my hi or low targets. It's a feature you can turn off. My HRM also isn't very accurate.. I wonder if she has the same one I have.. because no matter how hard I pump, I can't get it above 120. IT TOTALLY SUCKS! (Seriously considering getting the one you have).

Whatever you do... do it with sincerity and a smile. (Unless it's a cell phone user.. smash it with conviction and disdain!)

You know, cell phone users aren't nearly as annoying to me as those who drip sweat all over the machines and then don't wipe them down! :P

Sounds like from the majority that I did the right thing by not saying anything. We'll see if I see her again.

However, I would like to think if I were on the flip side, I'd accept someone saying something similar to me. If I'm going to be serious enough about weight loss to throw down money on both a Y membership and a HRM, I would want to make sure they were serving me well.
  • cdnclovr
    cdnclovr Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    This...
    I probably wouldn't have said anything if it was the first time she was there. But if she becomes a regular and you become chatty one day, I would mention it then.