Couch to 5k

Options

Replies

• thumper44
    thumper44 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    Week 1 D1, Well I did it.. Sorta..

I realized that my previous walk/jogging wasn't 60 secs worth of jogging.
    First 2 jogs, I stopped jogging short of the minute mark. I think I was jogging too fast.

Rest of the jogs, I seem to hold it until the time ran out.. It felt good, except for a bit of shin splints which I just pushed through. I believe I need a new pair of running shoes.
    The muscles that were sore last week are feeling alot better this week.

Great cal burn at 560cals for 30mins or so.
  • chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Options
    today is week 8 workout 2 for me - my hubby is going to jog with me....I love it when he does-I get to show off what I am able to do now!:wink:

didn't do the C25K workout last night - did 1h 15m of intervals - ran hard, walked-all outside on a trail - it's SO much harder when it's not level like on the treadmill or track. Burned 700 calories - so today rest, tomorrow wk 8 day 2....and I will be back at the track for it! Once I finish the program, I'll work harder on tackling the wilderness-just still building endurance.
  • fanta014
    fanta014 Posts: 56
    Options
    Today was day 2 for me on the Couch to 5k Challenge. I am LOVING it! Has anyone else tried it and if so what are your thought and or results?

Its what my best friend did and she was able to lose 45lbs. Just curious if other ppl have had those results.

Sorry to bust in. Had to share with you that I'm Kati Maree. How cool! I've never seen another Kati spelled like my name.

And now I need to comment on this! You guys should come to Finland, haha. Here Kati is rather popular a name :smile:

I'll complete week 3 today!
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    Daughter and I are going to do day 1 of week 2 tonight. Wish us luck please. :smile:
  • chrissyh
    Options
    You can do it - I am cheering for you!
  • lettuceb
    lettuceb Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    After reading about this great program I started it and am doing Day 2 Week 2 tonight. I have done several of the days pushing my 3yo in a jogging stroller! EEK! But I have to say I am loving this and even went and got new running shoes this past weekend, they have made a huge difference in how my feet/legs feel. I really can't believe how much I am enjoying running. I listen to my Ipod and watch the time on my HRM. Keep up the good work everyone! :happy:
  • iRun4wine
    iRun4wine Posts: 5,126
    Options

560!?!? :noway: Does this sound right to everyone? I don't yet have a HRM (bought one and didn't like it, so I returned it). I figured/made an educated guess that for week 1 I'm burning about 150 calories, although it certainly felt like more than that.

What do we think? I know that getting a HRM would be most accurate, but I'd like to know what people think :flowerforyou:
  • angelajiniel
    angelajiniel Posts: 115
    Options
    I was supposed to do week 5 day 2 last night, but both the temp and humidity were in the 90's yesterday and I just couldn't make it. I think I did more of a week 5 day 1...but not quite. Tonight I run with my friends and I think we're doing week 4 again. Hopefully it will feel cooler than last night!

560 does seem like quite a bit, but it depends on the person. I usually get about 300 cals in 300 minutes with a run/walk like week 1.
  • bethrs
    bethrs Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    Yeah- other than an HRM- how can I calculate the calories burned? (I'm too broke right now to think about purchasing one...)
    Thanks!
  • mommared53
    Options
    You can do it - I am cheering for you!

Thanks Chrissy. :happy:
  • iRun4wine
    Options
    560 does seem like quite a bit, but it depends on the person. I usually get about 300 cals in 300 minutes with a run/walk like week 1.

Do you mean 300 calories in 30 mins (not 300)??? :wink:
  • angelajiniel
    Options

Do you mean 300 calories in 30 mins (not 300)??? :wink:

yes...sorry :)
  • thumper44
    thumper44 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options

560!?!? :noway: Does this sound right to everyone? I don't yet have a HRM (bought one and didn't like it, so I returned it). I figured/made an educated guess that for week 1 I'm burning about 150 calories, although it certainly felt like more than that.

What do we think? I know that getting a HRM would be most accurate, but I'd like to know what people think :flowerforyou:

To be technical, I believe it was 37 mins, including 5 mins of cooling down. I don't stop my calorie burning when I stop exercising. I stop it when my heart beat gets down to under 120bpm.

I have a Polar F6 with the chest strap.
    My heartbeat on a normal walk(fast paced) of 2 miles is in the 140's and approx 300 calorie burn.
    When I start jogging/walking, my average heartbeat is in the 160's with max heart beats of over 183.

As other people have mentioned, the calorie burns mentioned in exercises on the internet/MFP are just APPROXIMATE.
    Take someone who is 40-50lbs overweight and still a smoker.:grumble: :laugh:

The other day I wogged 4 miles for 1200 calories burned in 1hr 15 mins.

If something is wrong with my polar, I have no idea.
  • lettuceb
    Options
    I have a Polar F6 also and I don't burn that many calories in the same amount of time but I am not the same size either. I do get my HR up in the target range for most of the time. It does really vary by person/ height/ weight/ age etc.
  • iRun4wine
    Options
    My educated guess based on the ROUGH numbers in the MFP database for week 1, day 1 was 145. I'm thinking now that maybe that's too low? I'm not "overweight" but a little bit out of shape. I'm 5'7" 148lbs. I'm thinking it should be higher than 145 calories? :happy:
  • lettuceb
    Options
    Did Day2 Week 2 last night. It was really hot and humid out so was a little slower going than usual but I still finished! My HRM said I burned 195 cal in 22 min (that was with hills). I really can feel it in my legs today but I feel good for having done it! :bigsmile:
  • chrissyh
    Options

This is high for me but it depends on where you are at....a estimation is about 10 cal/minute - 30 minutes is about 300 calories for me - give or take but I do use my HRM so i get a more accurate read - it just averages out to about that
  • mommared53
    Options
    We finished day 1 of week 2 last night. We really did it!!! I'm so excited!
  • chrissyh
    Options
    finished week 8 day 2 - really hard today but I did it!! I've struggled this week with motivation to just keep running but was able to pull it off today - but now - it's shower time!!!!!
  • angelajiniel
    Options
    Running with my friends last night we went back to week 4 (I couldn't quite finish week 5 day 2 Wednesday) and even it was difficult. Soo hot and sooo humid. I thought I was going to pass out last night! Next week will be week 5 again...I can do it!