Shifting from weight loss to muscle building?

Options
2»

Replies

• taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    What is a good basic lifting routine i should follow then? Im very bad at guess work and generally need exact instructions.

Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe or Stronglifts 5x5
  • dreweth
    dreweth Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    What is a good basic lifting routine i should follow then? Im very bad at guess work and generally need exact instructions.

If you have a gym nearby that you like and will be happy going to, buy the book "New Rules of Lifting" by Lou Schuler (sp).

If you do not have a gym nearby or would rather work out at home, consider P90X. There is a more balanced focus of strength building and cardio with P90X, but since you don't work out in a gym, you can't do the big muscle moves like squats and deadlifts. However, you don't work out in a gym - there are a lot of other benefits to this.

Having done both, I like both programs. Right now I do not have a gym nearby that I like, and do not want to sign up for one. I bought P90X and some dumbbells and a pull-up bar and I am working (and getting worked) hard by P90X.

Both the book and P90X are balanced routines for building muscle and burning fat. If you have never lifted weights before, and don't have someone to learn from on weights, you might consider P90X first, as Tony walks you through during the workout better than the book can.

Or do both!
  • dashdnolan
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your help!
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    I'm currently 188. My goal to hit before I started lifting was 175, but it looks like I'll be cutting that short.

If I do start lifting now, should I change my cal intake? MFP has me at 1410 a day to get me to my 175 goal ASAP.

i wish i could go back to august when i started wanting to lose weight. i would tell myself to start lifting immediatly.

when i started i was 255lbs, and wanted to drop to 200lbs. at about 225lbs in mid october i started lifting. my weight is now 218lbs and hasn't changed since end of november.

there are three basic power lifting exercises: the deadlift, the squat, and the chest press. notice how two of them are for the legs, and only one for the upper body? their is a reason. "there is a better foundation under a skyscraper then an outhouse." don't be an outhouse. your legs are huge muscles, and the foundation for everything. work them out, and you will blast that stubborn belly fat.

the way you said "get me to goal weight ASAP" leads me to believe you are at a 2lbs per week calorie deficit. i recommend you switch to something like 1lb per week, and eat your exercise calories. do this for a few weeks, or a month, and then switch to 0.5lbs per week loss. i'm at a 0.5lbs per week loss because i'm not afraid to go over my calories by 200-300.

for a basic lifting routine, this is where i started: http://nerdfitness.com/blog/top-posts/ check out the articles that are under "free work out routines" and "working out properly."
  • dashdnolan
    Options
    I'm currently 188. My goal to hit before I started lifting was 175, but it looks like I'll be cutting that short.

If I do start lifting now, should I change my cal intake? MFP has me at 1410 a day to get me to my 175 goal ASAP.

i wish i could go back to august when i started wanting to lose weight. i would tell myself to start lifting immediatly.

when i started i was 255lbs, and wanted to drop to 200lbs. at about 225lbs in mid october i started lifting. my weight is now 218lbs and hasn't changed since end of november.

there are three basic power lifting exercises: the deadlift, the squat, and the chest press. notice how two of them are for the legs, and only one for the upper body? their is a reason. "there is a better foundation under a skyscraper then an outhouse." don't be an outhouse. your legs are huge muscles, and the foundation for everything. work them out, and you will blast that stubborn belly fat.

the way you said "get me to goal weight ASAP" leads me to believe you are at a 2lbs per week calorie deficit. i recommend you switch to something like 1lb per week, and eat your exercise calories. do this for a few weeks, or a month, and then switch to 0.5lbs per week loss. i'm at a 0.5lbs per week loss because i'm not afraid to go over my calories by 200-300.

for a basic lifting routine, this is where i started: http://nerdfitness.com/blog/top-posts/ check out the articles that are under "free work out routines" and "working out properly."

You make it sound like i wont lose weight once I start lifting. My goal is to be skinny with some muscle. If i start lifting from where I am at now (188) , will I still become skinnier?
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options

You make it sound like i wont lose weight once I start lifting. My goal is to be skinny with some muscle. If i start lifting from where I am at now (188) , will I still become skinnier?

Yes, as long as you remain in on a calorie deficit.
  • TriumphNow
    TriumphNow Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    Bump so I can come back for the book titles. Good topic.
  • ifassnacht
    ifassnacht Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    @gazerofthesta

Doing too much cardio will cause your body to shift to muscle protein as it's source of energy and make you skinny fat? you're saying that too much cardio will burn muscle?
  • gazerofthestars
    gazerofthestars Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    @gazerofthesta

Doing too much cardio will cause your body to shift to muscle protein as it's source of energy and make you skinny fat? you're saying that too much cardio will burn muscle?

In context of keeping a caloric deficit + no strength training routine, yes.
    After you are depleted of all glycogen stores, your body relies on fat + muscle for energy. Do too much of it, and you become skinny fat! (if the person in your picture is you you then you know this already)
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options

Yes, as long as you remain in on a calorie deficit.

^yup. you won't lose weight, but you'll start dropping body fat percentage, which is sooooo much cooler then dropping weight. my weight has stayed the same for three months, but my belt has required two new holes in it.

i don't step on the scale that much any more.

also, start eating your body weight in protein. i'm exagerating, but just a little. like, 1.5g worth of protein for every pound you weigh. MFP's settings on protein are off.
  • ifassnacht
    ifassnacht Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    After you are depleted of all glycogen stores, your body relies on fat + muscle for energy. Do too much of it, and you become skinny fat! (if the person in your picture is you you then you know this already)
    lol, that's not me. that's what i'm working towards :-)
  • gazerofthestars
    gazerofthestars Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    lol, that's not me. that's what i'm working towards :-)

Hah! Me too :)
  • gonzang
    gonzang Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I agree with others on the lift now and take supplements. Both do make a difference. I do some cardio but lift too. I also started supplementing a few weeks ago and am loving the way I feel and look!