What is your biggest pet peeve at the gym

Options

Replies

• Bettsy_A
    Bettsy_A Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    OOH My biggest gym pet peeve would have to be when the teenage boys come into the gym in groups.
    I dunno what it is, but I've seen it in so many places!

They come in, 3-4 boys, and sorta mill about looking at the machines. Then one will try a machine out while the others stand around him and watch. He'll do about 4 reps of the machine, sit on it and catch his breathe, talk for 10 minutes, then they go poke around another machine!
    It's SO annoying because they just crowd up the place and they're not even doing anything! If you ask them if they need help, they just blink back and looked bewildered.
    Not that I'm charging about the place demanding everyone move out of the way, but if you're not using a machine, don't sit on it! Don't invite your mates to watch you do a pitiful amount of weights. Argh!

I feel better :)
  • tbresina
    tbresina Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Not cleaning off the area they use.......ewwwwww!
  • Gargwin82
    Gargwin82 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I love the aerobics classes at my gym - and the instructors are absolutely magnetic ... but the room where they hold classes has one wall that's a window and looks out to the circuit training room. When you're in a class, your back is to this window. You forget that it's there. Until you turn around to see at least six old men sitting on the machines just staring.
    It's really bad when they're talking to their buddies, and they point at people in the class. It's like they forget that we can see them. It's a window, not a television screen!

There would be days when I would just stop what I was doing, walk right up to the window, point and laugh. OR even better walk out fo the class, go to where the jerks are and start critiquing them right to their face. It's stuff like this why I don't go to a gym anymore.
  • Kymmu
    Kymmu Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    The in- house personal trainer who was all flirty and complimentary etc, then asked me if I was single.
    When I said "no I'm happily married with 2 teeage boys" - he basically lost interest, ran away, and has never been helpful since.

But is is VERY helpful to all the single ladies - lol.

At least there are still some normal trainers there...he just makes me feel awkward now!!
  • maloegering
    Options
    I go to a very small gym, by small I mean there are only 3 treadmills, 1 bike, 2 elipicals and 1 of each standard weight machines. It always seems like when I am there doesn't matter the time that these 2 teenage come in a work out. Yay for the youth of america getting healthy... except! They have broken two treadmills because of screwing around.
  • Kymmu
    Kymmu Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    The in- house personal trainer who was all flirty and complimentary etc, then asked me if I was single.
    When I said "no I'm happily married with 2 teenage boys" - he basically lost interest, ran away, and has never been helpful since.

But is is VERY helpful to all the single ladies - lol.

At least there are still some normal trainers there...he just makes me feel awkward now!!
  • shoover10
    Options
    Hmm... seems like most of my biggest peeves are listed - too much perfume/cologne, flinging sweat, not wiping things down, not re-racking weights....

What I also dislike is when someone uses a cardio machine next to me and I can hear their music... from their headphones... OVER the music on my headphones! Ugh. I don't want to blast my ears to bloody messes just so I don't have to hear your music.

Also, anyone on the weight floor that grunts super loud, practically yelling and/or drops weights around.
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    Haha! I agree the women walking on the treadmill is strange (just walk outside) but more so the makeup and hair.
    What's wrong with walking on the treadmill? I walk on the treadmill 3 days a week - Why the heck would I go and do a walk outside in the searing heat when I'm already at the gym?

Walking at 2mph is another story...

And why does it matter if they wear makeup and hair? I go right after class and don't always want to look like *kitten*
  • Gargwin82
    Gargwin82 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Teenage girls who show up after school to sit on the equipment and talk and laugh with their friends. Most of the time they do not use the equipment at all, then when they get bored with that they go get candy bars and chips from the vending machine and stand in front of the locker room and talk (right in the way). This happened again today, sorry for the rant.

That gym has a great logic to keep people paying if they have a vending machine full of chips and candy right in the gym :)
  • jenn26point2
    jenn26point2 Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    The 110# women who walk at 2 mph on the treadmill for 45 min

I'm with ya on this one! Our gym has an indoor track and it never fails that it'll be absolutely PACKED in the cardio room, which has like 20 treadmills, and 15 of them are occupied by someone who is casually walking while chatting with the person next to them or watching tv... and the other 5 are occupied with runners... and there are people waiting for the 'mills. seriously. Are you here to get a workout or have a social hour? Social hour? Hit the track. Workout? Stop chatting and get to work so someone else can use your machine! I wanna RUN! (And I could use the track too, but I can't control my pace yet, and I'd be weaving in and out around walkers and/or develop ITBS for going around in circles one way all the time).
  • mem1086
    mem1086 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I can't stand when people just stand around and watch other's sweat their *kitten* off!!
    Also, now I know some people enjoy working out with friends (not me, I like a solo routine), when I can hear you yelling over my music and you're not even talking to me - that drives me crazy! I don't really want to hear about last night's hook up!!

Love Planet Fitness, but they need to get some more recumbent bikes, cause people seem to like the just sit on them and oh so slowly move their legs.
  • IronmanPanda
    IronmanPanda Posts: 2,083 Member
    Options
    People who don't clean up after themselves (rack weights, wipe up their sweat)
  • asealy
    Options
    People who stand there waiting for u to get off a machine. no pressure.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Not necessarily a pet peeve, but I totally saw a lady ripping pages out of one of the gym's magazines today. Wtf?
  • verysherri2006
    verysherri2006 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I hate it when people try to race me on the ellipitical...
    IT DRIVES ME BONKERS!!!
    I am on level 14, go sit down somewhere lady with your LEVEL ONENESS!!!
    Or when I'm the only person on a ellipitical and the next person has to get on the one right next to me?
    Is there something wrong with the other ten machines available?
  • admanMike
    admanMike Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    People who don't put their weights back when they're done with them! You're motivated enough to work out, but too lazy to put your things away? Sheesh!!!
    I totally agree. And often the more weights they have stacked on a bar, the more likely they are to leave em there. The main offenders are the gym meatheads and highschool/college aged kids. I think its kinda like 'marking their territory"... showing people where they have been.
    I've had no problem reminding them they 'forgot' to re-rack their weights... After they get passed being stunned that somebody actually called them on it, they apologize and put them away!
  • yojaseyrae
    Options
    the boys who just sit on the weight machines for absolutely ages without doing anything! if it's such hard work that you need to sit and recover for 10 minutes every 5 seconds, use smaller weights!
  • KLK1986
    Options
    I try not to judge how fast a person is going or how much weight they are lifting...even if they are 110# they could be rehabbing from an injury, surgery or just sedentary for too long....I have heard our trainers tell people, "Now I don;t want you going any faster than ____ for now."

Agreed. I am someone who can't go too fast/hard etc. because of a medical problem that isn't apparent to anyone else by just looking at me. It's very disheartening to know that some people probably think I'm just being lazy without knowing my situation or background. I've been approached by strangers and told to work out faster/with more resistance, etc. I'm at a point where the next person to suggest it to me is going to get an earful...

I personally think no one needs to worry how anyone else is working out. Ever. End of story.
  • msbanana
    msbanana Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    "Wow, You lift a lot for a girl." Yeah and I punch hard for being a girl too...

That's effing insulting. :mad: "For a girl..." I've seen this guy squat and I squat almost TWICE what he squats. :grumble: "For a girl..." apparently he doesn't lift very much for a guy then. GAH.:explode:

Yes a realise that was supposed to be a compliment but the dude that always says it is the same creeper who follows me around and says something pretty much every time I change lifts. I know I'm strong- thatnks for noticing now get the *kitten* outta here and let me do work.
  • RainbootsToBikinis
    RainbootsToBikinis Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    The 110# women who walk at 2 mph on the treadmill for 45 min

When people immediately judge people at the gym without knowing their story.