Replies

• KristinLeAnn252
    KristinLeAnn252 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    bump :)
  • KMPOWELL79
    KMPOWELL79 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Find an event, register, fill in the forms and enjoy it. Im not a natural runner and i have to train hard. so to motivate myself i enter competitions. Find a 5K event enter and give it a try. youll get addicted to beat your time next time :)
    Theres always heaps of people who do it for fun so just enjoy x
  • Cross_fitter
    Options
    I love your tips 'ramius'...i try try try and I wish i could breath, I feel so oxygen depleted when i run...body is fine it's just the lungs......and I've always had this problem!!!!
  • bonjour24
    bonjour24 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    I'm a C25K graduate, and I can heartily recommend it.

The other things I can suggest are:
    1- get a good sports bra. if your ladies are on the larger side, get another tight crop top to go over the top of it.
    2- socks are as important as good shoes. don't wear crappy old socks- they'll just rub and give you blisters.
    3- you'll work out what and when you need to eat to fuel your runs. but you'll need to work it out for yourself.
    4- when i was doing c25K I listened to The Chemical Brothers (upbeat dancy music). Now when I'm doing long runs and I start to tire, I listen to the chems. It gives me an extra boost. On the other hand, I can't run without music. I use it as a crutch.
    5- I never needed flash clothes, gels, vaseline, etc, when I was just learning to run. They're good rewards for achieving goals you set and help motivate you to continue. Learning to run to 5k is learning to run for 30 mins- you don't need too much fancy stuff for that.
    6- sign up for races. C25k is 9 weeks long. Is there a local 5k run that you can enter that will coincide?
    7- DON'T STOP. You may have a hard run. You may not achieve on that day what you were hoping for. You may be a slow, sweaty, self conscious mess! But don't let those bad days stop you from carrying on. The only way to get better at running is to be consistent.
    8- Celebrate the achievements (the 1st time I ran for 20 mins I cried in the street, and rewarded myself with a wicking t shirt).
    9- Involve others in what you're doing- if you tell others, you have more chance of sticking with it. Maybe get a running partner.
    10- don't worry about speed- it's not important. find your own pace. my pace is 'plodder', and i'm fine with that!

good luck with it!
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! I just tried the breathing exercise whilst I was at the gym && it really did help, thanks! :]