Did you lose weight after having the Mirena taken out?

Options

Replies

• LaurieAthGa
    Options
    I've gotta say, I LOVE my mirena. I didn't gain weight because of it. I gained weight because I was a Fatty McFatFat and ate everything in sight. I also haven't had any problems losing weight. I love the fact that I don't have periods with it, too. I never worry about TOM weight/bloating. [:

^^ This

^^This for me too! I have had my Mirena for 5 years, it's time for it to come out and I plan to make an appt. to have it removed and a new one placed soon.
  • jennywren1971
    jennywren1971 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I was obese when I got my Mirena in five years ago at the age of 36. I had had three children. I used to have really heavy periods with cramping and they would last at least a week or more each month. I had some spotting a a bit of mild cramping after the Mirena was inserted but this went away after a month or so.
    I got the Mirena in 2007 and in 2008/9 I lost over 40 kilos with no trouble.
    In the years that followed insertion my periods became milder and milder. I now have one or two days a month where I get some discharge but I would call it spotting only. I no longer get cramps.
    I gained back some of the lost weight in the last 12 months because I was a lazy bum and ate too much. I am now losing the weight steadily with little hassle.

I get some acne at TTOM usually in the same spot on my chin.

My sex drive is the best it has been in years. I am 41.

I am exhausted at times but that's because of my current work and family life commitments. I work full time, have three kids and a new husband with his own kids.

My Mirena is due for replacement next month. I am definitely getting another one.
  • mwiggs8031
    mwiggs8031 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I am glad to see these posts as I have been really frustrated. I got mine inserted in January and have gained almost 10 lbs. Some due to diet but it has not changed THAT much. I have not been strictly logging, but I am starting that today and committing for at least a week to see if there is a difference. I am going to my general physician for a physical tomorrow and plan to discuss this as well. I worked out for 45 min yesterday, ate yogurt and granol for lunch and chicken fajitas for dinner and gained a pound!
  • tashjs21
    tashjs21 Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    I've gotta say, I LOVE my mirena. I didn't gain weight because of it. I gained weight because I was a Fatty McFatFat and ate everything in sight. I also haven't had any problems losing weight. I love the fact that I don't have periods with it, too. I never worry about TOM weight/bloating. [:

^^ This

Well, that is wonderful for you. I have gained weight because of poor food choices but I know my body well enough and have lost weight successfully enough in the past to know something is wrong here.

Every woman is different every woman reacts to birth control differently. To insuiate that someone is a "Fatty McFatFat" because they are having issues is rude.
  • tashjs21
    Options
    And just a though on how every one is different...some people can lose weight by skipping breakfast. Others will blow up if they skip meals and throw their metabolism off.
  • Tenoreo90
    Tenoreo90 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    From what I've been told by doctors-and heard from others-a weight gain of 5 lbs or less is normal. It's best to evaluate your eating habits before jumping to conclusions. That being said, if you genuinely feel you've tried EVERYTHING and given it time to work-I'd go see a doc.

I had mine put in right after having my daughter, whom I gained 40 pounds with.
  • Heidi_M78
    Heidi_M78 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I am so glad to have found this thread!

I am working out harder than before I had it inserted and am eating healthier but my weight is standing still.

OMG my mood swings are insane! I have a wonderful husband but I keep finding myself fighting with him, and my kids drive me crazy even though they are very good and pleasant.

My skin is ok, not having huge flare ups but it is not as good as it was before.

I too am exhausted constantly. I first thought it was the kids (1 and 4) but after reading these posts am now certain it is the Mirena.

I have my annual gynaevisit tomorrow and am going to discuss removal of it with her then.
  • Dory_42
    Dory_42 Posts: 3,587 Member
    Options
    I have had mine for about 9 months and no problems. I currently weigh the same as when I had it inserted, although I have fluctuated by 4kgs (I think that is nearly 8 pounds?) over the time. However, I have also struggled with knee problems in this period so my exercise routine was pretty much no existent. Since I started making an effort, I lost the 4 kgs easily. Working to lose more of what I had to start with now.

I never had any problems before I had it inserted and only minor cramping and periods for a couple of months. I can't remember the last time I had a period and am very happy with that element. No acne, no depression, no mood swings, no problems at all.

I love this and will probably have it replaced when my 5 years is up. I don't have any kids and don't plan to have any. I know these things affect different people differently, but also wonder (as previously commented) if the fact that someone has had children changes the way it affects you.

Saying that, if it is obviously not working for you, get rid of it. For those considering it, remember there are a lot of people who are happy and you may end up being one of them...
  • tashjs21
    Options
    I have had mine for about 9 months and no problems. I currently weigh the same as when I had it inserted, although I have fluctuated by 4kgs (I think that is nearly 8 pounds?) over the time. However, I have also struggled with knee problems in this period so my exercise routine was pretty much no existent. Since I started making an effort, I lost the 4 kgs easily. Working to lose more of what I had to start with now.

I never had any problems before I had it inserted and only minor cramping and periods for a couple of months. I can't remember the last time I had a period and am very happy with that element. No acne, no depression, no mood swings, no problems at all.

I love this and will probably have it replaced when my 5 years is up. I don't have any kids and don't plan to have any. I know these things affect different people differently, but also wonder (as previously commented) if the fact that someone has had children changes the way it affects you.

Saying that, if it is obviously not working for you, get rid of it. For those considering it, remember there are a lot of people who are happy and you may end up being one of them...

Ya know, I wonder if the kid thing is a big factor in someone having issues. Most people that I have seen say they have issues are people that have kids.

And most definitely, I am not suggesting anyone not get it if they feel it will be a good fit for them.I have several female friends that love theirs and have had 0 issues. I on the other hand, we know our bodies pretty well and a lot of women that are having issues just don't think about it being the Mirena because it has been bashed over our heads that it does not have side effects. Well, it is unrealistic to think that any form of birth control won't have side effects for some people. Listen to your body and talk to your doctor. :flowerforyou:
  • Heidi_M78
    Options
    I had one for 5 years with no problems and no periods, and loved it. Getting it taken out was such a nightmare I went back on the pill afterwards.

OMG I had mine removed yesterday and it was BLODDY sore!!
    I will NEVER have it again. Bought my husband condoms.
  • Heidi_M78
    Options
    I LOVE my Mirena although I have noticed my sex drive is lower. I see others have had this complaint. Interesting. Can others share if they had that problem ? Sorry I know that isn't about weight loss.

My gynae thinks this is an after effect of having children.
  • tashjs21
    Options
    UPDATE:

Had mine removed on Friday. Am already down 2 pounds. (didn't do anything different than what I have done for the last few months, I even had my usual bottle of wine over the weekend) I have had TONS of energy and felt like I could do anything. And I did, I conquered a lot of projects that had been piling up on my "to do" list and then played outside with my daughter and even came up with activities with her inside. (most weekends were a struggle to get my butt off the couch and accomplish the absolute must do things)

My fiance said I have been like my old self again, laughing, cracking jokes, and being silly. He said I have my "me-ness" back.

I have found my inability to focus and remember things has lifted. I have been so much more productive today at work and my thought processes have been crystal clear. It is like a veil was lifted off of my brain. (productivity on a Monday is a feat in itself)

Oh and the back pain is GONE. All of the stuff I did this weekend and the hours of standing around in the kitchen I did (cooking and working on craft projects) would have killed my back. Nope, I felt fine.

I told my friend at lunch yesterday that I feel like I was in a movie "Body Snatchers" Like I have been here but not really. Like I was just a shell of myself. It is just crazy to me how instant it was. I had that "me" feeling back the very next day. TMI warning...the pain relief was instant too. My uterine pain that I have been having was gone the minute he yanked that thing out. It was like a pressure relief valve was set off in there. :laugh: I've been bleeding but nothing too bad.

In fact, my doctor told me he might need to commit me because I said I was looking forward to having a normal cycle again. (he said in all of his years he has never had a women tell him that. :tongue: )

So yea, I am optimistic that things can only get better. The change has been so immediate that I have no doubt my body rejected the Mirena. My doc didn't think it was the hormones. He seemed to think it was more of my body not doing well with a "foreign object"

So for what it is worth, if you are having issues and just not feeling like you or have a gut feeling something is wrong. Talk to your doctor please. Maybe it just isn't right for you and you need to find a different form of BC. :flowerforyou:
  • lucythinmint
    Options

hahahaha, I gained because I was a Fatty McFatFat too! My mirena has been an amazing thing. I have lost weight and had no trouble and the lack of periods most of the time is great too.

Everyone is different, I had horrible side effects with the Depo shot that my friends never had a problem on. It could just not be for you. If you think it is related to the Mirena, try something else for a while to see.
    Good luck.
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    Every body is different! If it's not working for you, have it removed for sure.

Every ounce of my 92.5 pounds of weight loss has been with Mirena. I love it. Love!
  • G30Grrl
    G30Grrl Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    In Europe, the Mirena is approved for seven year usage. I'm in the US, but my Doc is European, so we compromised and did a six year stint with the Mirena. I LOVED it. I had no unusual pain, still had a cycle, though it was MUCH lighter than normal, no mood swings, and no weight gain. Well, make that no weight gain that can be attributed to the Mirena. When I quit drinking and smoking and started eating like there was no tomorrow, you bet I gained, but it had nothing to do with BC! There was an increase in acne that was troublesome, but not tragic.

Now I'm in my 40s, with a new Doc who put me on the pill when I had the Mirena taken out, saying this would be the best, safest way to delay menopause. NOW, I have crazy mood swings, NO sex drive, and a hell of a time losing weight. Remembering to take the damned thing every morning is a pain after 6 years of not having to think about it. Insomnia sucks, too. I am seriously considering taking myself off the pill and letting nature do what it wants with me. My fiance is fixed, so I don't have to worry about accidentally getting preggars. I personally don't believe menopause is a disease that needs to be medicated when women are taught to listen to the wisdom from their bodies instead of the intellect of Doctors who get kickbacks from pharmaceutical companies. I love my Doctor, don't get me wrong, but he doesn't understand women who are really in touch with their bodies and want to stay that way.
  • NicoleElen
    NicoleElen Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I have had one for 4 years and I am still iffy on it. My periods never stopped, although they are very light in comparison. My bad side effect is ovarian cysts, on 3 occasions burst ovarian cysts (which if you have never had one it is like childbirth I swear). Anyway I suck at taking the pill and hubby had a failed vasectomy so it's my only choice for now. Hopefully this year I can get a tubal so I can take it out. For now it works for me.

As for weight gain I haven't seen any side effects, but we will see what happens when I get it out.
  • tashjs21
    Options
    Down 1 more pound. That is a total of 3 since the Mirena was removed 4 days ago. I think that is a little bit more than a coincidence.

Feeling 10 times better too! :drinker:

Hats off to those that haven't had an issues but if you are having issues and you feel it could be this. Talk to your doctor. I am kicking myself for living with this pain and misery for longer than I needed to. I should have pushed more in August when I brought it up. I could be at my goal by now. :explode:
  • chevy3501002
    chevy3501002 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Ok I am so up in the air on what to do now!! I was planning on getting Mirena, I don't need it for the birth control purp since my husband is fixed. I just need it cause my periods are sooo bad, the cramps leave me on the couch for 3 days!!!. I haven't beeon on any birth control for 3 months now and I really don't mind it but the cramps and the bloatness is horriable. I have always taken the pill but after having kids, it just don't seem to work as well anymore, I would bleed all month on the pill, so I thought of maybe getting the mirena, but after reading all of your guys posts I am kind of scared now. I really don't wan tto gain anymore weight beigns I am trying to lose the last of my weight!!! , So now I am not realy sure what to do !!!
  • ddoohaluk
    ddoohaluk Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I have had my mirena for almost 3 years and have no doubts that this is the best birth control for me. Prior to the mirena I was on various birth control pills/etc including ortho tri cyclene, yasmin, and nuva ring (most recently). With the pills and the ring, I had a steady weight gain and had a hard time losing any weight even with diet and exercise. I also has more defined PMS issues, acne, and a very low sex drive. Within weeks of having the mirena inserted, I was able to easily lose weight, the acne issues greatly decreased and I had a sex drive. It was the first time I felt normal since getting on birth control at the age of 18. Not having periods is the only (welcomed) side effect I have. I have not had a child and had no problems with insertion. I did have minor cramps and some spotting for the first month or so but the cramps were not bad enough to limit any activity (I was training for an ironman at the time) and didn't require any pain meds. In two years, I will definitely be getting another one.

But like anything, Mirena is a drug and can have side effects. But so can Tylenol for some people. And the last allergy medicine I tried gave me a terrible rash, a migraine, and made my sinus and throat hurt way more than the actual allergies it was prescribed to relieve. Yet that same medicine works great for the 5-8 of my friends that were on it. There is no perfect solution for everyone especially when we are adding a foreign substance (whether it be an iud or pill) into our bodies. If you are interested in mirena talk with you dr and friends and make the best decision for you.
  • madubil
    madubil Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    boy do I wish I hadnt seen this thread- I have a mirena waiting for me at my drs office- Ive been onthe pill since high school- and really wanted my tubes tied but this was the happy medium.

I am concerned about weight gain and mental side effects of it- which I know can come from any birth control ( or lack of) but am definetly nervous now thinking about what I have read from other posters.