When you throw a party.....?

Options
LaSutopia
LaSutopia Posts: 1,195 Member
What kinda food do you serve? If you are trying to keep it healthy. We have friends over every other Sunday and we used to have all kinds of bad stuff like chips, cookies, lots of pizza etc. We still have been doing the pizza but no chips and cookies. I can't think of what to do for a 5-6 hour party that would be lower calorie and still appeal to guys ranging from 16-30 (who eat a lot) and not totally blow my day! I spend a week and a half trying to undo what I do on game days and it's got to stop. So i need some suggestions. I know there are some party throwers or goers among us so let me know what lower cal food choices you make.

Replies

• pg3ibew
    pg3ibew Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    Just because you are on a diet, does not mean the others are.

When I throw a party, which we do, often enough, I put out the same foods I always put out. Then I make foods just for me and Wifey. If anyone wants the food I am eating, I give it to them.
  • liog
    liog Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I would just serve the normal foods and also put out a few things that are a better choice for myself.
  • lewandt
    lewandt Posts: 566
    Options
    You could do veggies and dip and mixed fruit. Or a build your own strawberry shortcake kind of thing. There is also the recipe of the chocolate cake with the pumpkin and make chocolate cupcakes (cannot tell they are low in calories).
  • rachcamp88
    rachcamp88 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Hungry Girl has a lot of great low cal recipes for party foods.
  • LaSutopia
    Options
    yea..I can't do the "have the regular stuff" I am a food addict and I love love pizza and junk so if it's in the house and I have to watch every one else eat it it's torture...and I am not "on a diet" I am on a life mission to make better choices and not over eat like I used to. So every one can and should eat healthy just like me, they just might have more calories they can eat than me esp if they are guys. Just because I want to make better choices and eat healthier food does not mean my party comers are suffering cause they can't stuff their faces with pizza and cookies.
  • eksims1
    eksims1 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I saw on pinterest something good for parties. Buy individual clear plastic cups from the store, put ranch dressing in the bottom, and then put long chunks of carrots, bell peppers, celery, broccoli, cauliflower, and baby tomatoes!.

Here is a link with a picture of these snacks. It is the 6th picture down!

http://myblessedlife.net/2011/06/baby-girl-shower-pink-lemonade-theme.html
  • LaSutopia
    Options
    You could do veggies and dip and mixed fruit. Or a build your own strawberry shortcake kind of thing. There is also the recipe of the chocolate cake with the pumpkin and make chocolate cupcakes (cannot tell they are low in calories).

I love strawberry short cake! It is my new favorite low cal dessert. We had it twice last week!
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    I do raw veggies (Carrots, Bell Pepper, Brocolli, Scallions) with Stotidakis Jalapeno Yogurt Dip.

My mother in law makes Texas caviar which is a mixture of chopped veggies and marinated beans.

If I want to do an entire meal, I'll make a huge pot of soup and a big salad.
  • pg3ibew
    Options
    So every one can and should eat healthy just like me,

I don't want to get into an arguement here with you, but that is the WRONG aproach. You should NOT be imposing your beliefs or lifestyle on anyone else. Even if the party is in your home.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    Fondue...it's what I'm known for. Cheese and chocolate. And lots of pretty boys in heels. My kind of party!
  • lisapr123
    lisapr123 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    Turkey Chili for game day type parties. Let people doctor it up with macaroni, cheese, fritos...whatever! Or pulled pork, cooked with very little sauce. I eat it minus the bun and it's not bad at all.

Or I grill meat. Beef Tenderloins. Chicken. Or smoke a few chickens or dry rub ribs. Then simple, healthy sides.

As long as portions are in control, I've learned I can eat most anything and lose weight.
  • JaclynnGail
    JaclynnGail Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Hungry Girl has a lot of great low cal recipes for party foods.

Agreed. I had a party a few weeks ago...I did include some of the regular party foods, but also a couple of recipes from Hungry Girl...the miniature taco salads were a big hit. I also made some low cal margaritas with mixes I ordered from Baja Bobs. Enjoy your party!
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options

I don't want to get into an arguement here with you, but that is the WRONG aproach. You should NOT be imposing your beliefs or lifestyle on anyone else. Even if the party is in your home.

i have to agree with this guy.

however, i've thrown parties where i served homemade pizzas, i had a 6 foot grilled chicken hero, veggie platters, homemade chilli, etc. all healthy and good foods, without being like "oh, you'll love this, its free range lettuce, and only 2 calories a plate."

i'm a firm believer that good food is what makes a party.
  • MLA5FL
    MLA5FL Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    How about some peel and eat shrimp and here's a link to my recipe at my food blog for a salsa that's always a HUGE hit http://seasidesimplicity.blogspot.com/2010/09/easy-corn-and-black-bean-salsa.html
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/member/views/GROUND-TURKEY-AND-BLACK-BEAN-CHILI-1228173

THIS turkey chili, it is delicious and you could eat it as is (or add a little Tapatio hot sauce like I did) and for the rest of the crowd, put out shredded cheese, sour cream, etc.
  • Bostonstacey
    Bostonstacey Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    At our Super Bowl party, we did the best we could to serve normal-ish food that wouldn't totally ruin our day.

Skinnytaste.com has a spinach dip recipe that is super yummy and not terrible (especiially if you dip carrot/celery sticks rather than chips, but you could have chips for others). There's also a decent baked "mozzerella stick" recipe on there.

We also made some grilled chicken tenders and buffalo-ed those with straight Frank's Red Hot rather than fried wings with buttery buffalo sauce.

I made marble cupcakes with diet cream soda instead of the oil and eggs, those were a big hit, too.
  • LaSutopia
    Options

Don't want to argue either. I might need to clarify a little though. I don't meant "like me" as in eat exactly what I do. I meant chose to be healthy, as I have chosen. Our bodies as human being need certain things to function and in certain amounts. A lot of things that people put in their bodies have no value or even in some cases hurt the body. I realize it is everyone's choice to make and I can not force it on anyone. But we were made to eat a certain way and if we don't there are negative results...like being over weight and having health problems. That being said. I am not going to stock my house with very unhealthy things that will temp me or to offer to others. I will do my best to have tasty healthy options and if there is still nothing they like then they can bring their own food. All of our friends are cool like that and a lot of times they bring their own food. But we were all talking and they are interested in making better choices as well and we, as a group, were trying to come up with some ideas but where not having any luck. That is why I am asking here.
  • pg3ibew
    Options
    Being on a diet is also about self control. Lots of self control.
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options

i have to agree with this guy.

however, i've thrown parties where i served homemade pizzas, i had a 6 foot grilled chicken hero, veggie platters, homemade chilli, etc. all healthy and good foods, without being like "oh, you'll love this, its free range lettuce, and only 2 calories a plate."

i'm a firm believer that good food is what makes a party.

Completely agree with this!

I always make a mix of healthy/unhealthy when we have a party
    I like skinnytaste.conm for ideas for myself
  • LaSutopia
    Options
    all really good ideas! I will see what the gang thinks! I would probably be the one fixing everything though cause they just like to show up so I might try to pick the easier to do ones :)