Ex diet soda drinkers...

Options
124»

Replies

• hhamada
    Options
    I used to drink a lot of diet sodas and other diet soft drinks and eat a lot of sugar free processed foods. The artificial sweetners in the drinks and foods messed up my digetive system so I quit. I did not notice a difference in my weight but I felt better after I quit.
  • kris4chloe
    kris4chloe Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I am on day 19 of no diet sodas after a diet pepsi addiction of over 20 years. i have cut it out a few times before and only lasted a few months. i have had issues with my weight for the past 20 years, but i can not say if it is related or not.

i do not see an increase in the weight loss, as i was already four months into my journey before i decided to cut them out, but i am glad i did. i have known for years how bad aspartame is (sweet poison is a good video/website that goes into detail). i do know that when i drink diet soda i tend to crave more sweat and/or carby things.

i would drink 12-15 cans of soda a day plus one or two fountain drinks, not only was it an expensive habit but it was not making me healthy. so even if it didn't cause weight gain, it is a better healthier thing to do.

now i drink tons of water and my skin has never looked better
  • tnrunningnurse
    tnrunningnurse Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    I use to be a diet coke with lime addict...then I started doing research on artificial sweetners and I made the personal choice to no longer consume artificial sweetners. Now for all you artifical sweetner lovers who are gonna say "give me your proof" "show me your research" ....do it yourself. I just said it is a personal choice that I made based on what I researched. It is my PERSONAL belief that what you put in your body should be as close to natural as possible. I know that in this world that is not always possible, but when I can make the choice I CHOOSE natural. By the way...as a side note....I am a nurse....I know a little bit about the human body and human chemistry :)
  • sukatx
    sukatx Posts: 103
    Options
    I've lost 9 lbs since I joined MFP, but in total I've lost 60lbs. At first, I felt the same as you did about diet soda; it's got 0 calories in it, so what difference could it make?

For some reason, one day when I was at the supermarket I bought a 12 pack of diet iced tea instead of Diet Coke. I can't personally say that it's made a difference in my weight loss, but I definitely feel less bloated and heavy.

I don't even miss it. The tea is pretty darned good! When I go out to eat I do have my Diet Coke, but I usually don't finish it.
  • InvidiaXII
    InvidiaXII Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I usually get headaches quite often, and it just occurred to me while reading this thread that since cutting out Diet Coke (I used to drink about 3 a day) a month ago I don't think I've gotten a single headache. Of course it could be a coincidence-- I might start drinking them again for a week or two to see if the headaches come back. For science!
  • indisguise
    Options
    I switched to diet soda a few weeks ago but I noticed it was making me feel bloated. Then I started hearing about how aspartame is bad, so I switched to tea and water. It's only been a few days so I haven't noticed anything in the weight loss area yet, but I do feel a lot less bloated. So far I'm not missing the soda at all.
  • momtotwoboys
    Options
    I was a huge Diet Pepsi addict until I gave it up cold turkey about a year ago. I have however switched to diet 7-up or Sierra Mist. They don't sell it at restaurants so I only drink the cans at home. I find that it satisfies my sweet craving. I did give up all diet soda for about 6 weeks a while back and I did not see a change in the weight loss. (Still not saying they are good for you!!)