Tablets + Smartphones at the Gym?

Options
13»

Replies

• rainbowcandy2004
    Options
    I use the iheartradio app when I am at the gym on my smartphone but I tend to see people answering phone calls while on the elpitical or that same woman doing some lifting and putting her phone down to do the exercise then picks up the phone again and starts talking. I don't know about you but I am at the gym to get exercise in and have some me time...not talk on my cell phone. I can see using it to help your workout but not just talking or going on the web and not working out.
  • zeeeb
    zeeeb Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    i don't take my phone into the gym with me unless i'm expecting a call i need to recieve, maybe once every few months. i'm busy at the gym, and i don't need something to keep me focussed for 1 hour. i do, however take my ipod for music. i never even contemplated bringing in a tablet or laptop, that would just be absurd.

i recently broke my smart phone, and wow, i feel free and liberated from having to look at that cr@p while i'm out. didn't really realise how trapped i was in smart phone world.

i don't think i'll get another smart phone. seriously, they waste some serious amounts of time. and sure, they are convenient when you need to check certain things while out, but hey, everyone has an iphone, so i can always ask someone else to loook up something for me if i desperately need it. i can just sit, and wait, and enjoy 5 minutes of peace and quiet which is quite refreshing without having to check emails , facebook, blah blah blah, there really isn't that much interesting going on that it can't wait until i get home.
  • plethorax
    plethorax Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I watch netflix on my tablet while on the elliptical. It's a little cumbersome to lug it around, the form factor's not as ideal as the iPod (although it wasn't designed to run with, so...)

I just discovered JEFIT from this thread, I'm so excited to start using it to track my strength training!!
  • piebird79
    piebird79 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this thread but for different reasons. I never knew about JEFIT ;) now I just picked it up for my iPhone ;) thanks.

Just what I was thinking! I downloaded for my Android. I'll tell my husband about it too.
  • plethorax
    plethorax Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    i recently broke my smart phone, and wow, i feel free and liberated from having to look at that cr@p while i'm out. didn't really realise how trapped i was in smart phone world.

i don't think i'll get another smart phone. seriously, they waste some serious amounts of time. and sure, they are convenient when you need to check certain things while out, but hey, everyone has an iphone, so i can always ask someone else to loook up something for me if i desperately need it. i can just sit, and wait, and enjoy 5 minutes of peace and quiet which is quite refreshing without having to check emails , facebook, blah blah blah, there really isn't that much interesting going on that it can't wait until i get home.

I thought I was the only one who had downgraded to a phone that is actually less smart than I am... :) They are definitely time sinks! I realized the biggest thing I was using it for was the CTA bus tracker. Not worth the $29.99/mo data plan!
  • ummlovelovesyou
    ummlovelovesyou Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    I just listen to music on my ipod.

I hate seeing people text/talk on their phones while on a machine.....so annoying. -_-
  • irenep22
    Options
    Which app is that? Plz :)
  • dubw
    dubw Posts: 429
    Options
    All of our members have signed a contract to curb smart phone use in the locker rooms. Pix were beginning to show up on message boards - shower shots etc. Member caught illicitly using a Smart phone in the locker room can be discharged. That said, most members use iPhones and other devices with headsets during workouts. The un-printed rule is,however, if someone's phone rings they carry it to the break area for conversations - rule seems to work cooperatively. Also, we have device ports where a user can plug in a head set and listen to radio or TV (TVs mounted on walls).
  • eayal002
    eayal002 Posts: 186
    Options
    Can I ask what app you use to regulate your sets ? I'm looking for a good one to use to assist me!!

I use Jefit when I'm tracking sets, reps ect