Subway

Options
2»

Replies

• sergetns73
    sergetns73 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Subway or any Fast food joint dont do anything for me, and i taught after reading a few comments that subway was good for you ? what happend to the guy who introduced subway is he still Alive ? we dont hear about him anymore.

when i was going to subway i was eating a foot long with lots of vegies and their special cause on a wholewheat honey bread ,

Devoured it within 15 minutes, then suffered for half hour later because i ate to fast, then found out at home that they were using all kinds of chemicals/additive to make the food taste better.

i rather take 5 minutes at home preparing my lunch that waisting money on fast foods
  • sergetns73
    sergetns73 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I am the General Manager of a Subway, let me give you tips:
    -If you want to get a footlong, but only want to have half at a time- ask us nicely to wrap them separately- if i saw it all I would eat it
    -ONE serving of a sauce is 3 passes across a 6inch
    -If you want a better judge of light mayo- ask for a pack of it, they are 35 calories and don't lend themselves to human error
    -Tomatoes, cucumbers, green peppers, and onions are cut in store, they are the healthiest and freshest ingredients
    -If your trying lower carbs and calories, ask them to hollow out the bread (its in the database for white and wheat- I did it)
    -The 'Standard build" for toppings- which is where the calorie info comes from on website- 3 tomatoes, 3 cucumbers, 3 pieces green pepper, 1/2 oz onions, 3 pickles, 3 banana peppers, THREE olives (commonly tripled).
    -If they have the option, get spinach instead of lettuce
    -Italian bread has less calories, but the Wheat has much higher fiber

If you have any questions feel free to ask, however please don't be mean

thank you to have come forward, do they have a detailed list of items chosen and calories chart that they can handle to customers as requested ? reason i ask i have food allergies and Never know what to choose when i visit their restaurants across USA and Canada ? thank you
  • Becca_007
    Becca_007 Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    I liked Subway until I started reading more into the ingredients in the bread and the meats. The 9 Grain Wheat bread uses enriched wheat flour and has HFCS which both people debate about whether it's okay to eat or not. For me, I try to avoid it. They also use chicken flavoring in their chicken patties & strips which for some reason grosses me out. I did a quick Google of Subway and found this blog post: http://fussylittleblog.com/2011/05/03/the-good-way-vs-the-subway/
    Also, just look at the ingredients of the food on their site!
    I guess it depends on your definition of what a healthy diet is! I suppose it's alright in moderation.

I suggest everyone check out the link shared above, it's very enlightening ... and then read the comments below the article that shares how the meat is processed.

Here's one quote that makes you realize their food is really not that much different than McDonald's etc.

"The Wikipedia entry for “mechanically separated” turkey pretty accurately describes the process. Tiny bits of meat are strained away from inedible matter and formed into a paste. It’s not as bad as pink slime, because my understanding is that the process does not use ammonia. However, it is generally used in lower-cost and lower-quality products."

Pink Slim is also the word used for mcdonald's foods due to processing methods.

So to the OP, no the chicken is not technically real.

I realize we all want to think there is some fast food place out there that is healthy but fast foods aren't baked in the store, they are processed in plants and shipped to the stores in most cases.

If a consumer is looking to make healthy changes but is not concerned with food that contains preservatives, GMO, hormones & antibiotics, trans fat, HFCS, etc., I suggest getting a footlong but personally I wouldn't consider that healthy food.

As someone else suggested the sodium alone is CRAZY!

But on an up note if you eat their White bread it's the one bread they offer that doesn't contain HFCS.:wink:

Learned a lot from that article.....I knew it wasn't healthy and I realize many want it to be but articles in the past have shown differently.

In the end...it really is up to an individual to decide what 'healthy' means to them.:drinker: But I also think knowing the truth about what is in the foods we put in our bodies is important to know so we CAN make healthier choices.
  • goodmans90
    goodmans90 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    When I go there, I get the 9 grain bread with turkey breast, spinach, and pickles, with provolone and have it toasted. It is awesome, and I think it is only 280 calories! I think, don't quote me on that!!
  • Bakkasan
    Bakkasan Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Just know what you are eating. I do like the club or a veggie/cheese sub and because I travel for work 100% it can sometimes be my only option in towns where there are only pizza mcdonalds and subway.

Staples are Veggie cheese footlong on 9 grain honey oat or a subway club. both with super light mayo, some oil, vinegar, and oregano.

The problem I have is at almost EVERY subway I go to, they do not understand LIGHT MAYO. I will even say one thin pass and they still slather it on. I make them remake the sub right and if they don't want to I leave.
  • sssygirl
    sssygirl Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Honestly, when you are eating out..you do not have control of how its made. That being said, I have found Subway to be a great option for eating out with my family.
    I pile on the veggies, no cheese and usually get mustard. My kids like it too. Its only once in a while, so I can handle the sodium etc..
    I think its much better option than most fast foods. As in everything..its going to be better if you make it at home. But sometimes you need fast and on the go.
  • NiallWallace
    NiallWallace Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    -Tomatoes, cucumbers, green peppers, and onions are cut in store, they are the healthiest and freshest ingredients

Interesting, as I find it's Tomatoes is where I really notice the difference. A lot of pre-packed sandwiches have terrible tomatoes on them, the Sandwich deli at work I judge based on how they look, the main thing I realise is that when it comes to it a chain sandwich store is not going to get Tomatoes that were dug from a polytunnel yesterday like the local farm produce company do for their stores.

As for all the other ingredients, one of the TV chefs over here, think maybe Hesten Bloomentahl decided to make processed food and explained why some of the stuff goes into it. What goes into "Supermarket" bread seems scary, but if it wasn't done your loaf of bread would be stale by the time it got home. (Just have a look at the amount of salt listed for a pre-packed sandwich!)