Replies

• modernmom70
    modernmom70 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Diary public now.
  • modernmom70
    Options
    Also note that I may not have all my veggies logged. Keep forgetting old ww habit.
  • modernmom70
    Options
    I'd personally say that 6-8 reps is all you want to consider it heavy, strength-oriented lifting.

and honestly, you don't need to do all that different stuff. I mean, if you like it, go for it, but I'd do more compound lifts and less isolation.

I like the variety also doing it in a circuit with no rest helps me with my cardio I absolutely hate the hamster wheels.
  • Saffyra
    Saffyra Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Well, if you are looking for some kind of comparison, I just started lifting weights in January. I do it three times a week using Chalean Extreme DVDs so I'm not in the gym but I have dumbells in increments from 5lbs up to 53lbs.

I am 5'1 and weigh 125. I don't have a lot of muscle but I'm working on it.

I do chest flys with 12.5lbs and I'm barely making 12 with that. I do squats with 25lbs in each hand, same for lunges. I do bench press with 15lbs in each hand but will be moving to 17.5 next week. If I can do ten of those, I'll be thrilled.

I really try to move up in weight each week. Triceps are my downfall. Five pounds is killer still for me. /sigh

Anyway, just posting as a comparison for you. I havent been doing this long, I'm still about ten pounds overweight, and I'm still eating at a deficit.

Good luck! It's fun lifting weights isn't it?! I never thought I'd say that :)
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    LOL... are you asking about heavy lifting or are you talking food? Oh dear...

Yea this is getting confusing.

No you are not lifting heavy to answer your question. And I agree with compound lifts. Do cardio separate if you want to actually lift heavy.
  • modernmom70
    Options
    Good luck! It's fun lifting weights isn't it?! I never thought I'd say that :)
    [/quote]

Yes it is I love it and look forward to it! I hate the "hamster wheels". I like feeling strong! I am doing the 100 pushup challenge with some co-workers and I can already do 60! 1 year ago I was lucky to do 3!
  • modernmom70
    Options
    LOL... are you asking about heavy lifting or are you talking food? Oh dear...

Yea this is getting confusing.

No you are not lifting heavy to answer your question. And I agree with compound lifts. Do cardio separate if you want to actually lift heavy.

It was just out of curiosity because I have read so many people doing it. I am quite happy with what I am doing my body looks amazing and I have lots of great muscle definition. Just wasn't sure what defined it. And if I was in fact doing it was I eating enough of the right things.
  • addisondisease2
    addisondisease2 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I'd personally say that 6-8 reps is all you want to consider it heavy, strength-oriented lifting.

and honestly, you don't need to do all that different stuff. I mean, if you like it, go for it, but I'd do more compound lifts and less isolation.

I like the variety also doing it in a circuit with no rest helps me with my cardio I absolutely hate the hamster wheels.

Using lifting in a circuit or met-con system is a great way to do cardio. But focus on one for the day, don't try and mix your cardio and your heavy lifting.
  • littlebigsteve
    littlebigsteve Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    heavy isnt necessarily the weight your using ..i used 15lbs dumbbells today and i have a 605lbs deadlift ... if what your doing is hard and by your second and third set you wish you weren't doing it ..then your working out
  • addisondisease2
    addisondisease2 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    heavy isnt necessarily the weight your using ..i used 15lbs dumbbells today and i have a 605lbs deadlift ... if what your doing is hard and by your second and third set you wish you weren't doing it ..then your working out

A 605 dead-lift is very impressive! .... unless its that rack pull you are doing in your picture /:
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    If you are doing 14 reps, you are not lifting heavy.

You should be doing 4-6.
  • modernmom70
    Options

Thats it! Dripping with sweat and working hard!
  • Tubby2Toned
    Tubby2Toned Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I am currently doing this every second day. I am female 5'4" 140lbs size 6 with quite a bit of muscle mass. I am using 15lb dumbells in each hand unless noted. There are 3 circuits done twice 14 reps each time.

Circuit 1
    Overhead dumbbell squat
    Pushup
    Dumbbell bulgarian split squat
    Incline dumbbell bench press
    Hanging leg raise

Circuit 2
    Goblet Squat 25lb dumbbell
    Dumbbell bench press
    Dumbell Lunge
    Dumbell Chest Fly
    V-up with 10lb plate

Circuit 3(ab focused)
    Lat Pulldown 45lb
    Swiss ball hip raise and leg curl
    Cable Row 45lb
    Bosu ball legs up medicine ball twist 20lb
    Static squat til fail about 60 sec
    Plank twists

First of all modernmom, VERY impressive on your weigh loss. Pat yourself on the back.

Secondly, this is what your workout would look like if it were heavy lifting:

Circuit 1
    Squat as heavy as humanly possible for you. 3-5 reps. 10 sets or so. Long rest between sets.

Circuit 2
    Dead Lift as heavy as humanly possible for you. 3-5 reps. 10 sets or so. Long rests between sets.

Circuit 3
    Bench or overhead press as heavy as humanly possible. 3-5 reps. 10 sets or so. Long rest periods between sets.

You can throw in assistance lifts if you want.
    For squats and assistance might be an over head squat.
    For dead lift maybe bent over rows.
    For bench maybe dips.

Good luck!
  • littlebigsteve
    Options
  • littlebigsteve
    Options

A 605 dead-lift is very impressive! .... unless its that rack pull you are doing in your picture /:

no it was off the floor raw no belt ..im not sure what the number is in the picture ..and you are correct that is only an 18 inch pull
  • Z_I_L_L_A
    Z_I_L_L_A Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    I kinda skimmed through this post so hope I don't repeat but it depends on what you are lifting for. Just general fitness or something else your training for. Some of the exercises look like crossfit training.
  • modernmom70
    Options
    Basically just to be really fit and have my body fat % be around 18-20%, I am currently at 22%. I was just curious what constitutes heavy lifting. Now I understand :smile: I also want to make sure I am getting enough macro's for my workouts.