If you eat clean, your cravings go away

Options

Replies

• Orangecupcake
    Orangecupcake Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I was just talking about this. I eat a very "clean" vegetarian diet, with minimal processed foods. I can't remember the last time I craved chocolate or chips/cookies. If I need something sweet, I twill have soy yogurt. My kids made a cake from scratch last night and I didn't want any of it. That never happens. I have 25 boxes of girl scout cookies I need to sell in the house and I haven't opened one sleeve. I crave things like spinach and kale. It's the strangest thing ever. If you ever watch any of those food documentaries you will see that all the processed stuff/fast food had chemicals to actually make you become addicted, so it makes sense.
  • issyfit
    issyfit Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    If you avoid sugar and white flours and other simple carbs your cravings go away because your blood sugar doesn't spike like it did when you were eating the junk. Blood sugar spikes cause a burst of insulin which in turns causes low blood sugar which causes hunger and sweet/starch cravings. This is how Dr. Agaston explains it in the South Beach Books. After phase one on South Beach I lost my cravings--best thing about this plan in my opinion.
  • mes1119
    mes1119 Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    Its all psychology. Basically, humans eat out of habit (we never eat anything unfamiliar) so the more often you eat junk, that is what your body is going to want (eat ice cream and frozen tastes awful). But if you stick with it you CAN change this.

This is why teaching your children how to eat properly is CRITICAL.

Plus, I've noticed that fast food and bad foods don't taste good to me anymore, I CRAVE my healthy meals now and would MUCH have them over the crap :)
  • Zaffy01
    Zaffy01 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I have been "eating clean" for about the last three or four months, and after the first month I also found my cravings for junk food went away, however, I now refer to this as the honeymoon period, as my cravings definitely did return around the month two mark, and I have been battling them sense... I feel like for me it goes in cycles.

Whenever I get a craving for something I know wont be good for my body (or that will trigger me to eat other unhealthy things) I try to make an alternative, and this 99% of the time satisfies my craving for junk (and most of the time, I end up liking what I made better than the food I have in my memory).

I also find that most of my cravings from the junk food day came from the saltiness of the foods I was eating....cheese-its were my HUGE downfall, (I swear they should be classified as a drug for how addicting they are! haha)
  • 2hmom
    2hmom Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I believe this, also.Before I get out of bed I'm thinking of drinking water before pop. Healthier food stays with me so much longer,too.
  • grinch031
    grinch031 Posts: 1,679
    Options
    I have never met a single person in my life who has become fat while eating clean.
  • LastSixtySix
    LastSixtySix Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Biology or microscopics confirms your theory. If we overeat something - say sodium or sugar - each cell in our body has to work that much harder and expends much more energy to try and regulate the body to put it back in balance. After it does this only a surprising few times, if the sodium or sugar intake goes down, the cells cry out for more to do. That is the biology of the body that the industrialized for-profit food industry exploits to get us to keep eating more of their unhealthy stuff and less of the healthy nutrients that nature intended. Once we unhook from the death-support that industrialized food keeps us on, it doesn't take long for our bodies to adapt and love us and our brains to rewire.

Conversely, we only have to throw caution to the wind food-wise for 6 or 7 days before the new wiring snaps and we are back on the path of salt and sugar addiction.

Keep with the healthy foods! Also, I find that drinking for two days nettle tea (combined with a mint or something else too) absolutely drives away craving for junk food.

-Debra
  • orienteer
    Options
    Also it might be that your body remembers how good and light you feel after eating clean versus the heaviness and low energy after eating junk food.

Once in a while I do have a can of soda, burger or fries. It tastes great while I eat, but after-effect is bad: heavy stomach, fatigue etc ... Our body remembers that and doesn't crave for junk food often anymore.
  • lindadoto
    Options
    That is probably true what you are saying about eating clean. The only problem is when it gets around my monthly time. That is when the cravings come most of all.
  • silkii_locks
    Options
    I notice this when I do low carb. Once all that sugar is out of my system, I'm never hungry.
  • stpkellogg
    Options
    I agree as well and the moment you cheat even if once in a while it can throw off your whole routine. The book Eat Right For Your Blood Type by Dr. D Adamo. Best Seller for like the last 15 years. It explains it all and more!
  • zakismom
    zakismom Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I don't eat totally clean, but mostly and have never been a fast food person. Last Friday I caved and had lunch with some office peeps, 3/4 of a Pizza Hut personal pan cheese pizza and 2 pieces of garlic bread with cheese. I was so sick the rest of the day and my migraine still hasn't gone away. I guess you can't jump into junk anymore then you can jump into the good stuff, lesson learned, lol!
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    NewLIFEstyle4ME Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    I'm a living witness it does--at least for me. I totally have no cravings or even just a tiny desire for:

Meat (beef, pork, lamb, chicken)
    Sweets (of ANY kind)
    Coffee (I was a coffee FIEND for more than 20 years straight and the desire is GONE w/ZERO withdrawals AT ALL
    Dairy (I no longer crave dairy of ANY kind)
    Soda, juice, junk in general...it's totally and completely GONE!!

It's ONLY been 1 month (today) and I'm giving God the credit for this firstly and clean eating secondly.

Now i crave...tomatoes of all things ( I've always hated tomatoes) and fresh organic juicy fruits and loads of raw and juiced veggies (i've always hated veggies--most of them anyways).

Also, I'm craving exercise inside (treadmill, stationary bike--SWEATING) and outside time (fresh air and sunshine) walking just about 2+ miles everyday. So, YES! Clean eating does something dramatic in my life--not just physically (I've lost 15 pounds in a month eating this way and living clean too).
  • alise_lmx
    alise_lmx Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    For me, I feel like sugar and salt are addicting. If I can get most of the bad sugar and excess sodium out of my system, I crave it much, much less. And I've also noticed that when I do eat something processed or really sugary after eating clean for a while, it tastes really bland, just like no flavor at all. The hard part for me is planning everything out for the week. I have to plan bc I have a really busy schedule with school and work, so it's very easy to just eat something bad on the go. But the longer I work on it, the easier it becomes. The bad stuff just stops even becoming an option for me. Even if I fall off the wagon or whatever, it's a lot easier to get back on lately.
  • alise_lmx
    alise_lmx Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I don't eat totally clean, but mostly and have never been a fast food person. Last Friday I caved and had lunch with some office peeps, 3/4 of a Pizza Hut personal pan cheese pizza and 2 pieces of garlic bread with cheese. I was so sick the rest of the day and my migraine still hasn't gone away. I guess you can't jump into junk anymore then you can jump into the good stuff, lesson learned, lol!

That happens to me too, I really have to eat the bad stuff in moderation if I've been eating healthy for a while. My stomach really lets me know it is not happy!!
  • bastins
    Options
    Same deal here. If I stop eating certain things for a while, I seem to lose the taste for them.

In fact, I can't even remember the last time I had a bag of potato chips in my hands.
  • 30yearssincebikini
    Options
    I have never met a single person in my life who has become fat while eating clean.

Haha! That's a good point!
  • Robynshay
    Options
    The moment I simply stopped eating sugar and refined carbs, the cravings went away. I eat protein and whole foods and am totally satisfied. I was such a sugar/refined carb addict! I can't believe this happened. If it's not in your body, you don't want it...like drugs.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    What is eating clean?
  • SkinnyShadow
    SkinnyShadow Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    basically, if man made it, you don't eat it ;)