6 months into strenght training

Options
Yanicka1
Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
Those who know me and my history, don’t mind me I will pretty much just repeat myself

I am a 38 years old woman, I am french canadian (this expain the fact that my english is far from perfect). I am the mother of 2 and the surrogate mother of 4….no twins in the lot….so I had 6 pregnancies. The last one was in october 2010. After I gave birth, I suffered from pre-éclampsia (yes, after…usually it is before giving birth but I like to do things differently). I ended back in the hospital with a heart monitor, 2 different IVs, peeing in a bag and with enought High blood pressure medecine to kill a horse. Let just say that it was my first taste of what it means to be unhealthy. My weight my not the problem but being scared ****less to leave my babies without a mother was a the kick in the pants I needed to really do everything in my power to be and stay healthy.

2 weeks after leaving the hospital, I started using MFP. My weight loss has been very slow (18 pounds in 15 months as of right now) and let face it, frustrating sometime but I refused to do anything drastic that was not sustanable long term.

140 lbs
6030453129_1e7ae5172d_m.jpg
IMG_2720 by yanicka , on Flickr

Like many newbies, I started running using C25K. I can’t say that I love running, heck I pretty much hate all cardio. It is very boring and makes me feel like a hamster in a wheel LOL. By summer of 2011, I had lost 15 pounds and was feeling pretty good about myself, I was at a healthy BMI (still on top at 24.7) but I was still very hummm soft.

125 lbs
6244928159_bbcc74efd8_m.jpg
danlucie dogs 037 by yanicka , on Flickr

Did some reaserch and I knew that for the body I wanted, Strenght training was the way. I ordered the book “the new rules of lifting for women” in August and fell in love the first time I did a squat (with the barbell only!!!) Let me tell you that I had pretty strong legs but my upper body was very weak….the worst being my grip, but I made progress really quickly.
After one month of weight lifting. Like recommended by the book, I was eating between 1600 and 1900 calories a day ( I am 4’11’’ so that is why the calories are so ‘’low’’)
Weight loss = 0 lbs

11614737_9054.jpg
After 2 months.
Weight loss = 0 lbs

11614737_2863.jpg
After 3 months.
Weight loss = 0 lbs

11614737_2758.jpg

After 6 months and 2 weeks into my cut cycle. Right now I am trying to lose fat and maintaining muscle at much as possible, so to do that, I cut 300 calories from maintenance and try to eat 100g of protein a day.
Weight loss = 4 pounds

11614737_104.jpg

So this is where I stand. I lift 3 times a week and run once or twice a week. I never spend more than 1 hour at the gym. I have a HRM and eat pretty much every calories I can get.

Replies

• scapez
    scapez Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    Nice to see all of the progression pictures like that...well done, girl...I aspire to have your flat tummy some day!
  • Lizzy_Sunflower
    Lizzy_Sunflower Posts: 1,510 Member
    Options
    Amazing! You look so healthy and strong!! Very proud of you. Thanks for the inspiration :drinker:
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    You give me such tummy-envy Yanicka! What an inspiration to lift heavy! No-one would ever guess you'd had six pregnancies, and what a gift you have given to so many couples as a surrogate mother.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    :heart: Love this! :heart:

You're amazing. I can't believe six human beings were once in that itty bitty belly.
  • Jenlwb
    Jenlwb Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    That's fantastique!!!!

I'm 1 month in to NRL4W, and and so happy to see what CAN be done!

Merci xx
  • mznisaelaine
    mznisaelaine Posts: 2,262 Member
    Options
    You look amazing! I cannot wait to get to this point!
  • robinogue
    robinogue Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    Wow, you look great!
  • L00py_T0ucan
    L00py_T0ucan Posts: 1,378 Member
    Options
    impressive - thanks for sharing the progress photos with us!

well done!!
  • elizabethblake
    elizabethblake Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    You look incredible!!! I know how hard you're working because I see your status updates, but it's awesome to see it set out in before/after pictures. Way to go!
  • stenochick0417
    stenochick0417 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    WOW! You look incredible! I am on week 2 of strength training and I'm hoping for good results. :) Seeing pics like yours gives me hope, that YES my body will do what I'm asking it to do. Nice job!
  • HeikkiLaukkanen
    HeikkiLaukkanen Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Great patience and results Yanicka!
  • fakeplastictree
    fakeplastictree Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Bump for later Read.
  • jetscreaminagain
    jetscreaminagain Posts: 1,130 Member
    Options
    I LOVE your updates. I love that we're a similar age and you've had more pregnancies than I. I LOVE that you got tiny while staying the same weight. I love that you are ahead of me on the path I'm trying to travel and that you've already seen the challenges that are bugging me. PLEASE keep updating. Keep smashing the myths around weights making women bulky; about women of a certain age (which always seems startlingly low to me given what people say we can't do) not being able to reclaim their sexy-beast status; about needing to starve to be hot. KEEP updating. Folks need to hear it.

And yay! you. Keep it up!
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Great job. Very inspiring.
  • CandiesAndSweets
    CandiesAndSweets Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Thank you SO much for posting your progress!! I've been doing mostly strength training and even though my body has been shrinking in size ( I can tell because my clothing fits a lot looser than what it used to), my scale is not moving. Which has been disappointing. But looking at your restults, I don't think I'll be looking at my scale all that often. Thank you!
  • KyleB65
    KyleB65 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    Félicitations!

Bien faites!

Maintenez le bon travail.

(Babelfish translation, As I am an English Canadian/Quebecer)

:-)
  • _persephone_
    _persephone_ Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    You are an absolute inspiration. I would kill for your abs, and I've had four fewer babies than you. Way to go!
  • sweetrice12
    sweetrice12 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    wow!
  • AmyEm3
    AmyEm3 Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    Thank you for writing this out. I needed to read this today.
  • cburke55
    Options
    thanks for sharing, pictures tell the story...awesome
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!