Help Cooking Asparagus

Options

Replies

• kelsue35
    kelsue35 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I coat in olive oil, salt and lemon pepper. Then bake at 400 for about 15 minutes.

I find that is is the best way to cook it as well.

also how i cook it!
  • Karmynzahringer
    Karmynzahringer Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    We bake a whole chicken seasoned with garlic and pepper and a tad of salt, stuffed with 4-5 stalks of chopped celery, and put the asparagus in bottom of the pan and let it cook with the chicken. Even the kids will eat it that way! Turns out really yummy and flavorful!
  • mollyjackson82
    Options
    grill it! or steam it with spray butter! Just steam it so it is still a llittle firm....mushy is gross.
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    I have asparagus a lot, just love it!

Get the thinnest stalks you can find for this receipe.
    Wash and blot dry on paper towel.
    Snap base off - it will break at the point between the tough and the tender portion of the stalk. Discard bottom.
    Use olive oil cooking spray (or real oil if you don't mind the calories). and heat sautee pan.
    Throw stalks in, spray quickly, then cover.
    Every couple of minutes, shake the pan to keep the asparagus from burning.
    Approximately 5-7 minutes (depending on thickness of stalks) and they should be done. You want a very light crunch. No limp stems.
    Slide onto a plate and sprinkle with fresh shaved parmesan cheese. Season with sea salt and cracked pepper.

Delicious!
  • JanieJack
    JanieJack Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    my fave:
    1 bunch from grocery store:
    cut off tough bottom of stalk, cut top part into 2" pieces
    stir-fry med-heat for a few minutes with 1tbs coconut oil and a few shakes of Montreal Steak 25% less Sodium seasoning.
    put lid on pan and let cook for 5 or so minutes until tender enough.

probably not as healthy as the grilling or baking options already posted tho
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    Asparagus- wash and break stem where it will easily break in two. Throw away the bottom portion. In a large pan place the asparagus with a little water and cook over a moderate to high heat until the asparagus change to a deeper green color. Eat and enjoy! I keep it simple with vegetables because I love the natural flavors. Just don't over cook :0)
  • ClascyParra
    Options
    Day before yesterday I cut them up into bite sized pieces and sprayed with olive oil spray and a tiny bit of sea salt and cracked pepper and broiled in the oven for 20 minutes at 450 degrees.
    Today I tossed a pound that i cut up with 2 tablespoons of Greek vinaigrette and cooked in the same method as above.
    DELISH!!!
  • sheepysaccount
    sheepysaccount Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    white or green?

for green i prefer thrown into water for a couple of minutes then add some butter. done.

for white i take off the harder end and throw them in hot water with the other parts. afterwards i add some sauce hollandaise (very fatty) or some butter with bread crumbs (also fatty, but delicious).
    the rest of the hard parts i cook for even longer, let sit over night. remove all veggie parts the next morning add in some salt and pepper and nutmeg to taste. and you'll get a wonderful soup :)
  • hopefloatsup
    hopefloatsup Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I coat in olive oil, salt and lemon pepper. Then bake at 400 for about 15 minutes.

We do this and put a little bit of grated Parmesan Cheese on it....kids LOVE it that way :-)
  • Cindym82
    Cindym82 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    in the oven at 350 degrees until tender enough

I drizzle extra virgin olive oil, and fresh minced garlic, and black pepper
  • xmissjasmine
    Options
    olive oil spray, lemon pepper, &garlic powder. Bake on 400 for 15 minutes. It's DELICIOUS!
  • kkm2605
    kkm2605 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I cut the whole bunch in 2-3" pieces. Steam in a wok (of deep fry pan) in some water for about 5 mins ( cover until softish)...
    add 2 cloves of garlic minced
    add about 2-3 cups of fresh bean sprouts and more water to steam them all up (cover)
    add ½ tbsp of low sodium soya sauce and cover with fresh baby spinach.
    steam it all up and you are ready too serve

(Just make sure that you never let your pan lose water and most of the soya sauce will stay mixed with the water at the bottom of your bowl.)
  • erinlo123
    erinlo123 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I saute with a little olive oil, chicken bullion and lemon juice.
  • oh_mg
    oh_mg Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I spread them out in a single layer on a cookie sheet, spray them lightly with EVOO, then sprinkle with a little salt and pepper. 425ºF for 20-25 minutes. They're crispy and delicious - I like them better than french fries!
  • LittleElephant
    LittleElephant Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Yum! Bump
  • kelfromhell
    kelfromhell Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Toss in balsamic vinegar and garlic then grill it!
  • Makethefatcry12
    Makethefatcry12 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I sautee mine in a pan with olive oil then I top it with a small amount of parmesan cheese. Or I use a ziplock steamer bag and steam it with water and some I can't believe it's not butter
  • Purplegirl0670
    Options

I also like to bake it. I will use olive oil, garlic powder and a sprinkle of reduced fat parmesan cheese.
  • kailey_watson
    kailey_watson Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I broil with some lemon juice and salt. MMMmm now I'm craving asparagus!
  • dumb_blondes_rock
    dumb_blondes_rock Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    snap the ends off, don't cut them.....

preheat 1/4 cup oil per bundle, and cook 4 cloves garlic per bundle in the oil on low temp, to extract the oil out of the garlic. Pour the oil(i use olive oil) over the asparagus that is placed on a cookie sheet. Toss around a bit to make sure the spears get all covered. Cook for 10-15 mins @400, time depends on thickness of spears. When out of oven, top off with grated parmesean cheese, pepper, and a some lemon juice. People request me to make these ALL the time, especially for cook outs