dieter on a budget looking for a few specific excersises

Options
ok so i started my diet a week ago, and just started excersising two days ago, only cardio, one half mile run a night, yesterday i stepped it up to two half mile runs, one at night one in morning, today im stepping it up again to three times a day, i weigh 158 and am 5 ft 2, also today i tried lunges and LMAO someone suggested i do step ups, well i dont have weights or steps so i filled to big empty bottles of vodka and did the step ups on my fire place with them in hand .....onto the excersise im looking for, i know theres a certain workout that for the ladies will target there pecs and tone them wich will lift the boobs a bit (having a child thatd be nice) i know the shake weight does it, and that wierd pull apart thingy ive seen on tv but well im on a budget and im having a hard enough time trying to get my husband to get me the zumba for the wii used off craigs list....any suggestions as to how i can do that certain workout? also if you looked at my face you wouldnt be able to tell im tipping 160, ALL my weight is in my thighs hips and belly, i know the belly will come along as i diet and excersice what workouts can i do to work my butt and thighs? im naturaully a ghetto booty girl and i dont mind that but its sloppy now and i wanna tighten it up LMAO.....hopefully this post will help others looking to loose weight and tighten on a very strict budget

Replies

• rissasgunnadoit
    Options
    oh and ps: dont have the money for a gym membership and my husband works 24/7 with only one car so i wouldnt have a way to get there anyway....so its safe to say im doing this all the ole' fashioned way
  • rayleansout
    Options
    Get some exercise bands, also go to you tube and look at exercise videos with them and other home workout videos, there are lots of great ones, you tube also has diet recipes just type in what your looking for.
  • howeclectic
    howeclectic Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    You're best off focusing on just cardio while you are doing your weight loss. Light weights may help you strengthen up a little bit, but toning really only occurs when muscles become visible which happens as you drop weight. Trying to tone up specific areas wont help much either. Many women are predisposed to storing weight in their thighs, hips, and butts. They are typically considered to have "pear shaped" bodies. Typically they struggle losing weight around their thighs as it is the last thing to go. Men typically have more stored in their gut and will see their gut as the last thing to go. Blame hormones and genetics. I would keep up the cardio until you arrive at your goal weight and add some weights in when you steady out your calories to really get the greatest benefit. (assuming weight loss is your main goal and not athletic performance).
  • AngelaeLebron1
    AngelaeLebron1 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Just slowly start to buy one thing at a time. We are also on a budget and I used that as an excuse to not work out for so long, but I started with a $10 DVD of Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred using no weights, & went on walks outside and then went from there. Each week I would buy something else, I have been doing this since October, all together (including before MFP) I have lost 30 lbs. I have like 4 DVDs, The Golds Gym power strip, the shake weight, a floor mat, a yoga mat, the wii fit, 3,5 & 8lb weights, and various workout clothes and 1 pair of shoes. Once our tax check comes in, hubby & I are going to get a heavy bag for the garage & a treadmill for the living room...plus he is getting ready to put his weight bench in the bedroom. LOL I feel like we are slowly turning our house into a gym. The point anyways, is that we have been doing this very slowly because we don't have a lot of extra money & I can't afford a gym membership, especially one with childcare. I get a very good workout in everyday without one. Also, you tube has lots of videos of zumba and other things to try, I go on there and do the 6 minute abs workout quite frequently. Just put a little money up each week, and buy yourself one small thing, pretty soon it will add up. Oh and I love the shake weight, totally worth the $20! It sounds/looks so silly but it really does work.
  • binariiangel
    binariiangel Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I got a set of those exercise bike pedals. I know most people use them for their office, but my house is small, and well honestly I do 90 mins on it, and can really feel it, They're like $20 at Walmart. Also you could get a dvd like Shred in 30.
  • cekeys
    cekeys Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Cheapest weights? Empty milk gallons filled with water. You can adjust how much. Screwed type spigots are preferred.
  • cekeys
    Options
    Does Fort Hood have any military spouse gym or fitness center that you could use?
  • missfitjunkie
    Options
    Hey Honey! Good luck on your workout journey! It looks like you have been so very creative already. Here's a full body circuit that should hit every body part, and GUESS WHAT!!! YOU DON'T EVEN NEED A GYM! (you can google each exercise for proper form)

1. Body Squats 3x10 (Squats will become your friend girlfriend! They are one of the best exercises that are excellent for toning and tightening up that booty, those hips, n thighs, quads, calves, hamstrings, shoulders, and GUESS WHAT ELSE...YOUR ABS!!!)

**squat and press****if you want to hit several areas at once, grab that vodka bottle and squat with it, then once you stand up, press your arms to the ceiling. i would suggest a gallon jug, adding water to it to increase the weight as you get stronger. (this also good for working your chest muscles)

2. Push Ups 3x 10 (So what if you do them like a girl, just DO THEM. Tone those arms and chest doing this old fashioned exercise, and once you are strong enough, do them "man style" propping your feet up on the fire place :-)).

3. Bear Crawls 3x 10 (These will well if you have a hallway--just get on all fours, keeping booty out of the air, and using your core to help you crawl to the end of the hall and back).

4. Jumping Jacks 3 x 20 (if you want a really good burn, instead of kicking your feet out to the side, do high knee steps instead)

5. Dips 3x 10 (using your body weight and a chair)

Do these as a quick circuit, and not only will you be able to start toning those muscles, but it will increase the burn since it will feel like a cardio session. (all in addition to your current running workouts)

This is just a start my friend. You already know dieting is the KEY! dOENSN'T MATTER WHAT THE CAR LOOKS LIKE IF THE ENGINE ISNT TAKEN CARE OF RIGHT!!???

bLESSINGS TO YOU AND I HOPE THIS HELPS.

FRIEND ME
  • NYCDutchess
    NYCDutchess Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    You can get a lot of the Jillian Michaels DVDs for $15.00 dollars. And they really work.
    I agree with the milk cartons. But if you can afford a set of weights Jillian Michaels sells those too, not expensive at all.

Good luck!!
  • BarbWhite09
    BarbWhite09 Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    You can find workout videos online for free - like the 30 Day Shred & whatnot.
  • NYCDutchess
    Options
    Hey Honey! Good luck on your workout journey! It looks like you have been so very creative already. Here's a full body circuit that should hit every body part, and GUESS WHAT!!! YOU DON'T EVEN NEED A GYM! (you can google each exercise for proper form)

1. Body Squats 3x10 (Squats will become your friend girlfriend! They are one of the best exercises that are excellent for toning and tightening up that booty, those hips, n thighs, quads, calves, hamstrings, shoulders, and GUESS WHAT ELSE...YOUR ABS!!!)

**squat and press****if you want to hit several areas at once, grab that vodka bottle and squat with it, then once you stand up, press your arms to the ceiling. i would suggest a gallon jug, adding water to it to increase the weight as you get stronger. (this also good for working your chest muscles)

2. Push Ups 3x 10 (So what if you do them like a girl, just DO THEM. Tone those arms and chest doing this old fashioned exercise, and once you are strong enough, do them "man style" propping your feet up on the fire place :-)).

3. Bear Crawls 3x 10 (These will well if you have a hallway--just get on all fours, keeping booty out of the air, and using your core to help you crawl to the end of the hall and back).

4. Jumping Jacks 3 x 20 (if you want a really good burn, instead of kicking your feet out to the side, do high knee steps instead)

Do these as a quick circuit, and not only will you be able to start toning those muscles, but it will increase the burn since it will feel like a cardio session. (all in addition to your current running workouts)

This is just a start my friend. You already know dieting is the KEY! dOENSN'T MATTER WHAT THE CAR LOOKS LIKE IF THE ENGINE ISNT TAKEN CARE OF RIGHT!!???

FRIEND ME

This is great!! I'm going to do this as well!!!
  • NYCDutchess
    Options

i wasn't aware of that! Thats great!
  • BrendarB
    BrendarB Posts: 2,770 Member
    Options

FRIEND ME

Everything she said, and add a backpack full of books and use it at a kettlebell (I also use this if I travel)
    Also - invest in a jumprope - it's my best friend and it goes with me EVERYWHERE (no joke, I carry it around in my purse)
  • sandybeachez
    sandybeachez Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Check out your local library, as well as you tube channels. Or even amazon fromprivate sellers for a specific dvd. Target had 30 day shred on clearnace last week. Yours may still have them.
  • cekeys
    Options

i wasn't aware of that! Thats great!

You dont mean through a bittorrent site, do you? :noway:
  • dimwood
    Options
    This is the best reply I've seen so far....cardio = increasing your heart rate to a particular place so dont buy into the BS that you have to run, bike, etc. Do body weight exercises and you'll find that 1) your hard will be pounding (assuming you don't wimp out and do a couple only) and 2) You'll be adding muscle while doing (non running) cardio and you'll find that the additional muscle will increase your metabolic rate and allow you to lose even more efficiently. WOOOOOO.

Good luck!
  • ellie0213
    ellie0213 Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Try bodyrock.tv...high intensity intervals...Free!! With and wit out weights. Also check out Zuzana Light on you tube or Facebook. Good luck
  • HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    --> Great exercises for free from home! :) They post a new work out every monday through friday. http://www.bodyrock.tv/
  • JoanWill
    JoanWill Posts: 217
    Options
    http://www.motleyhealth.com/fitness/20-minute-home-workout

Do you have netflix instant view? You can add those free workout dvd's too.

http://www.fitnessmagazine.com/workout/
    On the left side of this website, there are specific exercises you can do. You can mix it up or they can generate one for you. It should be fun doing it without spending money.

Have fun.
  • Inchoately
    Inchoately Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I just graduated college and don't have a big girl job yet, so I also have a tight budget. The YMCA usually helps out people with limited income. You just have to ask!

I love my Y. When I do get a big girl job, I'll be donating to them for helping me out now!