So, are eggs good or bad?

Options
Every once in a while the FDA comes out and says eggs are good. Then they say they're bad, then it's back to good. So, which is it?

Replies

• mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Eggs are just fine. Organic eggs are even better. The key thing is are the eggs you eat high in Omega 3 fatty acids. Most commercially produced eggs are high in omega 6 fatty acids but not high enough in omega 3s. The whole saturated fat thing/ cholesterol thing is a boogie man. Many studies including the pretigious Framinham Heart Study which began in 1946 and is still ongoing has found no link between dietary saturated fat and serum cholesterol. This acutally confounds the medical profession as it seems like there should be one but no one has found it yet! So feel free to eat good eggs to your hearts content!
  • MariaMariaM
    MariaMariaM Posts: 1,322 Member
    Options
    IMO, they are good. I eat eggs daily and all my biometrics, including cholesterol levels are excellent.
    I really don't believe a lot of what the FDA says/does.
  • galegetsthin
    galegetsthin Posts: 1,352 Member
    Options
    Good....... as long as you dont overdo it. Just like anything else.
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    They are good for you in moderation.. I eat them all the time.
  • MizCJ84
    MizCJ84 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I believe egg WHITES are good, not that yucky yolk in the middle. The only problem I have with eggs is they are relatively high in sodium for being such small doses of food. I eat egg whites just about every day, I love them!

16774070.png
  • Ephena
    Ephena Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    Good....... as long as you dont overdo it. Just like anything else.

^^^This^^^
  • EricNCSU
    EricNCSU Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    To quote Lewis Black "Eggs are good.. then they are bad.. then the yolks are bad but the whites are good.... MAKE UP YOUR MIND! It's breakfast... I GOTTA EAT!"...

Personally I think eggs are good. Great source of protein, and yes they have fat (and since it's animal it's some saturated fat but hey)... Like a lot of things it depends on how you cook them.. fried in a ton of butter maybe not good, scrambled with a little milk and a little oil or butter hey not bad.
  • macylane4
    Options
    I mix an egg with the egg beaters, and then I stll get a good amount of eggs, but not all the calories...etc!
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    To quote Lewis Black "Eggs are good.. then they are bad.. then the yolks are bad but the whites are good.... MAKE UP YOUR MIND! It's breakfast... I GOTTA EAT!"...

LOL... came in here specifically to post that.
  • neversettle
    neversettle Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    GOOD. in moderation, just like everything else.
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    I have one or two hard boiled eggs every morning for breakfast. They are a great source of protein and keep me from starving before lunch.
  • grinch031
    grinch031 Posts: 1,679
    Options
    If they were bad, then I don't understand why they make me feel so good.
  • Buckeyt
    Buckeyt Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Eggs are just fine. Organic eggs are even better. The key thing is are the eggs you eat high in Omega 3 fatty acids. Most commercially produced eggs are high in omega 6 fatty acids but not high enough in omega 3s. The whole saturated fat thing/ cholesterol thing is a boogie man. Many studies including the pretigious Framinham Heart Study which began in 1946 and is still ongoing has found no link between dietary saturated fat and serum cholesterol. This acutally confounds the medical profession as it seems like there should be one but no one has found it yet! So feel free to eat good eggs to your hearts content!

I love it. Someone else that actually does research on topics!
  • samandlucysmum
    Options
    Eggs are good, just high in calories.
  • jcarnes66
    jcarnes66 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I eat egg white omelets and just plain scrambled egg whites all the time. My wife makes these awesome breakfast burritos with whole wheat tortillas, egg whites, 1 strip of bacon (I think it's the precooked Oscar Meyer stuff) and sprinkle some 2% low fat cheese on it. Since I like hot and spicy stuff, I also put some sriracha on it! Awesome!!!
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    Eggs are delicious!! They contain cholesterol, fat, and protein. And probably vitamins too. So, as long as you're not medically adverse to any of that, and you like the taste of eggs, you should totally eat them.
  • GreenEyedGrl86
    Options
    I have chickens...all the organic egg deliciousness that I could ever want! :) Nummers...
  • DL121004
    DL121004 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    They are good for you in moderation.. I eat them all the time.

Okay, that sounded funny! :wink:
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Eggs are delicious!! They contain cholesterol, fat, and protein. And probably vitamins too. So, as long as you're not medically adverse to any of that, and you like the taste of eggs, you should totally eat them.

This and the yolks are the most nutrient dense.
  • Jackie9950
    Jackie9950 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I believe egg WHITES are good, not that yucky yolk in the middle. The only problem I have with eggs is they are relatively high in sodium for being such small doses of food. I eat egg whites just about every day, I love them!

16774070.png

Bump!