Running??HELP!!!!

Options
I have always hated running. :noway:

I mean seriously my mindset has ALWAYS been if i'm running you'd better run to 'cause something scary:devil: is behind me.

Oddly enough, i'm getting interested in the idea:embarassed: . but my knees always hurt when i run and i get short of breath pretty easy.

so the question is this...

How does a Non-Runner become a Runner?:huh:

any ideas?

Please?

Replies

• jennalink807
    jennalink807 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Although I have not done the program personally, I see a lot of people on the forums talking about Couch to 5K. Google it and check it out.
  • Southpaw3612
    Options
    Ive never been much of a runner. Played baseball all my life so short distance was alright. I like doing intervals and alternating between sprinting and walking/jogging on the treadmill. It helped me to build endurance to run farther and longer
  • RLewisWOW
    Options
    I have had multiple friends who had luck with the Couch to 5K so definitely look into that. Many local area running clubs have that type of program. Also, make sure you have good shoes. I would go to a running store and have them help you find the right shoe for you. I did and it made a world of difference.
  • Southpaw3612
    Options
    Good shoes and the right shoes are also key. You cant just go out and buy just any pair of running shoes. I was amazed at the difference when I went to the local running shop and had a running analysis completed to find the right shoe I should have been wearing from the start.
  • thepetiterunner
    thepetiterunner Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    You just get out there and do it.

I used to be a self-professed running-hater. It's actually taught me a lot about myself and become my go-to stress relief strategy. Just give it a shot, you might surprise yourself. :)
  • jennp1129
    jennp1129 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Good shoes and the right shoes are also key. You cant just go out and buy just any pair of running shoes. I was amazed at the difference when I went to the local running shop and had a running analysis completed to find the right shoe I should have been wearing from the start.

This is so very true. Especially if your knees hurt. I have a bad knee and I did the running analysis to help find shoes that will control the impact. I love my shoes. I have also heard great things about c25k.

Really the best thing to do is get out there. Walk, and run as much as you can and go back to walking. The more you do it the better you will get at it. I promise. Good luck to you.
  • LilRedRooster
    LilRedRooster Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    Don't start out with high expectations. If you can just run for 30 seconds at a time, do that, then walk, then run again. It's a process, and honestly, you won't love it at first. It takes time before you get to a point where you can really enjoy it, so really, you just have to get out there and do it, and be patient with yourself in the beginning. :)
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I always hated running and never thought I could run. But I was jealous of my brother and my niece who'd do 5ks and when I found out about the Warrior Dash, I wanted to be able to do it.

Couch to 5k (c25k.com) is fantastic. I never knew that some of us have to LEARN to run. Do intervals of walking and running and start by going as slow as you can possibly run. You'll get there. And you might even come to love it!
  • XxKeNnYxX
    XxKeNnYxX Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I've always believed you can do anything for 30 seconds. Try jogging as fast/ slow as you want for 30 seconds then walk for 30 seconds. Repeat as many times as you can. In a week or 2 you should notice your jogging longer and not as tired.
  • HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    I have always hated running too...mainly because I was never good at long distances and I didn't know what I was doing. I also used to get really bad shin splints. However, now I am taking a Learn to Run clinic and it is molding me into a 'runner'. I am learning so much...and it helps that I have been properly fitted for a shoe that is supportive and now I don't even get shin splints or knee pain!

Go get fitted for a proper shoe and try to join a clinic in your area. It is always good to join something - strength in numbers! :)
  • courtneymal17
    courtneymal17 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    I'm the same way, I've never been a "runner", the only running I ever did was for hockey and softball conditioning lol...One of my main goals for the year is to run a 5k by the time it's over....I'm using the Couch to 5k Program...I also downloaded an app on my ipod, Get Running, that kinda takes you through it all. Yesterday was my first day and I oddly loved it...so I'd look into an app or the web page of c25k (http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml)...and definitely get fitted for running shoes if youre serious about running a lot
  • amayarnell
    amayarnell Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Disregard is this has already been mentioned, but check out Jeff Galloway. I ran my first half marathon last year, and i was a 'non runner' Highly recommend his methods to any beginner!
  • KristyJoy123
    KristyJoy123 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I 100% support the Couch to 5k program. Google it, it has turned many a non-runner into a runner. But the concept is the same as everyone has mentioned. You start out walking with a bit of running thrown in, adding more running as you go. 99% of the complaints that people mention about running (getting short of breath too quickly, aches and pains) are because they are trying to do too much too fast.

That said, you should definitely make sure your hurting knees aren't an issue -- don't injure yourself. But I'm guessing if you take it slow, that will disappear.
  • Grlnxtdr0721
    Grlnxtdr0721 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat...But, I am on my 4th week of the Couch to 5K, and am loving it. Try it!!
  • BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    I ran when I played high school football in the late 80's because I had to...and that was usually sprints, always hated it. In fall 2010 I found C25K and figured "why not" since I had hit a plateau in losing weight and had never run a 5K, much less a mile ore more, before. Surprisingly, I got through each week, I huffed and I hurt, but I did it. It does get easier over time and your endurance will build up. Now I'm 12 days out from my first marathon, so the possibilities are endless if you get "I can't" out of your vocabulary.
  • sunnyrunner23
    sunnyrunner23 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Don't be in competition with anyone, just take your time and go slow. You WILL get to a point where you just love it!
  • rammsteinsoldier
    rammsteinsoldier Posts: 1,556 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this great question. I desperately want to be a runner but have knee problems. I have had one rebuilt already from playing tennis. I printed out the Couch to 25K and was looking at trying that but the weather here is pretty unforgiving so I thought I would try to start on the treadmill so I gave that a shot. I was totally out of control and felt like I was going to fly off the back, side or even over the front.

What is some advice for getting running on a treadmill without endangering myself and all those around me? I tried holding on to all the different bars and hand positions but that didn't work. It seems like everyone just hops on and off they run but I was all over the place. HELP!!!
  • ramonasowner
    ramonasowner Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I just decided I was tired of walking started running, but it was like tree to tree, block to block. You need to build up to any new workout. John Bingham, he's an awesome coach/writer. If you can't smile, you are doing it wrong!
  • Bean615
    Bean615 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Couch to 5K
  • Runs4Wine
    Runs4Wine Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I could've written that post about 6 years ago. I did everything in my power to avoid running. And then I decided I liked the WL and the calorie burn that runners enjoyed.

I did the Couch to 5K program and have since run 2 half marathons. Believe it or not I love running now.

The key to success and being pain free - at least for me:
    Take it slow, it's not a race
    Stretch!
    Get Fitted for shoes at a good running store (not a shoe in a box type sports store)
    Did I mention take it slow & stretch?