Trouble with running, is it just a mental thing?

Options
For as long as I can remember, I've been a terrible runner. I've never enjoyed it while I was younger, but in the past year or so I've been really trying to get outside and run. It's not like I'm in super terrible shape, but I can barely run outside for more than 3-4 minutes without having to walk. It's not like this is my first time going outside and running, I can try for weeks and I just can't run without stopping.

I've always wanted to run a 5k but I can barely run a mile. It's really frustrating, I can swim and swim without stopping and I'm fine on cardio machines. Am I mentally keeping myself from running for longer than 4 minutes? Do I convince myself that my body hurts and that I need to stop? This may seem vague but it's really been bothering me... any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!! :)

Replies

• peaceinside
    Options
    Ditto so BUMP!
  • kgarman
    kgarman Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Like anything it takes practice. Since you haven't ran before, I suggest googling a C25k program. It uses walk/run intervals to help you build stamina. You have to begin somewhere. So start there.
  • jtheroux89
    jtheroux89 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Like anything it takes practice. Since you haven't ran before, I suggest googling a C25k program. It uses walk/run intervals to help you build stamina. You have to begin somewhere. So start there.

I started it last year and stopped around week 5 because I had trouble running more than 5 minutes. Perhaps starting it over again and being consistent will work in my favor.
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    I am the same! I always hated it. I can't run for more than a minute without gasping for air. But I'm doing a modified couch-2-5k program, focusing on running those one minutes for all I'm worth. Last workout I ran for 7 minutes. Although with 2 minutes of walking between each minute of running, but hey, that's something! I keep trying to beat my "distance" each workout. I'm using a treadmill, so it's easy to time the intervals.
    It's so freeing to run. I'm really starting to enjoy it!
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options

I started it last year and stopped around week 5 because I had trouble running more than 5 minutes. Perhaps starting it over again and being consistent will work in my favor.
    My first time trying i stopped at week 2 because I couldn't run 2 minutes! LOL
  • jtheroux89
    Options
    I am the same! I always hated it. I can't run for more than a minute without gasping for air. But I'm doing a modified couch-2-5k program, focusing on running those one minutes for all I'm worth. Last workout I ran for 7 minutes. Although with 2 minutes of walking between each minute of running, but hey, that's something! I keep trying to beat my "distance" each workout. I'm using a treadmill, so it's easy to time the intervals.
    It's so freeing to run. I'm really starting to enjoy it!

That's great!! It's definitely hard to stay committed to a program when you feel like you're dying after a couple minutes, haha. I think I may start running on the treadmill again instead of outside to really track my intervals.
  • momof3and3
    momof3and3 Posts: 656 Member
    Options
    Running is a mental game...Try starting out at a slower pace than you usually do so it is super easy, that way you don't have an excuse to stop because it is really easy. Do this for a few days and slowly increase your pace....

Also try going out with a friend who runs and see if the "competiion" will keep you going...

You defintaley need to get your head into it, otherwise you'll always talk yoursefl out of it. I honestly HATE running, but I do it anyway...I ran 8.5 miles today and usually have to talk myself into doing it for the first 2 miles....
  • DannyMussels
    DannyMussels Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    I started running trails with an old friend of mine about 3 summers ago. My first time I think I made it about 8 or 9 minutes before having to stop and walk. Turns out I was about 50 meters from the end of the trail. So that was good motivation for next time, cause I KNEW I coulda made it to the end.

It was a chore for the first 3-4 weeks, some days I didn't wanna go. But with him calling every day or two, sorta pushing me, it really helped. He'd have us running the trail fully...then once and a bit...then twice. Before long our runs were regularly about 25-30 minutes.

I even went a few times after he moved away. I found it kinda relaxing.

Maybe that'll help you out a bit, maybe not.
  • betsyr13
    betsyr13 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I think the key is to run really slowly at first. Speed will come later, after you've built up your ability to cover the distance.

Also, I had trouble running for more than 2 or 3 minutes at a time until I was diagnosed with exercise induced asthma and started taking meds for it...it was amazing the difference that made. All that time, I had thought I was just out of shape, but it turned out I just couldn't breathe. Now that I have the right meds, I can run 7 or 8 miles without stopping. You may want to check with your doctor to make sure it's not something along those lines.
  • cindyb6045
    cindyb6045 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Hi
    I am the same way. the whole time I run I keep telling myself I'm bored or when can I stop. I have always admired people who make it look fun and effortless.
    Have you tried the C25K (couch to 5k) program? you can goggle it. I have tried that with success.

I have also joined a running club at a nearby store called the Running Room. I signed up for the 5k class and ran a 5k on New Years 2011 in a blizzard. It was a lot of fun! it help to have others to run with.

Check out running clubs in your area. Don't be intimidated I am 53yo and was the oldest in my class.

good luck
  • AlmstHvn
    AlmstHvn Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I've wondered the same thing... when I was a kid, I played on the church softball league. I was a really good hitter and catcher, but slow at running. I was going from 3rd to home and I heard my mom on the sidelines, laughing at me for being so slow.

That was 1978 and I haven't tried to run since. I'm pretty sure after 30+ years of telling myself I can't, I probably can't. It should take quite a miracle to get me running.
  • StephnElbow
    StephnElbow Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    MUSIC!!!!

its the only way i can keep running. if i dont have music i dont last more than 5 minutes either, but with it i can run and i dont even realize how long it has been
  • missigus
    missigus Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I used to run a lot before my knees went bad, but I really felt there was a mental aspect to it as well. Running is not a pain free experience, it at least it wasn't for me. There was a lot of pushing through to get to the point where your endorphins take over and it actually becomes comfortable, not easy but comfortable. I know i'd be hurting, lungs burning and then after 10 min or so of pushing through I'd feel like I could go for a long way, hit my stride so to speak, and got that feeling of perserverence. I was never a marathoner or anything but I ran a lot of 5ks and 10ks. If you are sure your not breathless because of asthma or something, or your not experiencing physical pain because of ill fitting shoes or bad joints, I'd say it's mental. Build slowly as another mentioned, follow a good 5k building program and keep pushing through. Eventually you should find your break-through spot, or your stride, when the endorphins kick in. Good luck- I miss running!
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options

My first time trying i stopped at week 2 because I couldn't run 2 minutes! LOL

If you can't complete a week, then just keep repeating it until you can. Nobody's keeping track except for you and it doesn't matter if you take longer than the nine weeks. :smile:

p.s. Slow down if you must! Endurance is more important than speed in the beginning.
  • lukeout007
    lukeout007 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options

I'm proof that C25K works. It is mental and I spend most of my runs trying to rationalize slowing down and walking...but then I tell myself that I'll never make any progress if I do that and I always finish my run. You can do it.
  • PlunderBunneh
    PlunderBunneh Posts: 1,705 Member
    Options
    MUSIC!!!!

its the only way i can keep running. if i dont have music i dont last more than 5 minutes either, but with it i can run and i dont even realize how long it has been

That's me. I have to have just the right song, too. Something with a strong beat that corresponds with my breathing and pacing, or I find myself holding my breath or run too fast, which of course causes me to tire out and fall over. Embarrassing.
    Right now, my running song is Bust a Move, by Infected Mushroom. A good solid trance song, great for zoning out, and at 8 minutes long, I put it on repeat and don't really notice.
  • holmevik
    Options
    +1 for C25K. The program worked beautfully for me. The first mile is always the hardest, after that it's usually smooth sailing. Best of luck to you!
  • bonjour24
    bonjour24 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    I started out spending 2 weeks building up to start c25k! i measured myself going to 1 lamp post, walking 2, then built that up to running 2 lamp posts! then i started c25k.

music is a must- i listened to the chemical brothers- great beat and not too fast.

the trick to begin with is to go as slow as you can. speed comes with practice. i had to learn how to run- that sounds so stupid, but it's true! i started off going too fast. you have to learn how to stride, what body position is comfortable, etc.

but mostly it is a mind game. i suggest you start with c25k. and just do it! the thing is that you only need to do a run once, then you know you can do it again. that 20 minute run in week 7 or 8 seems like a huge thing, but you just need to remind yourself that thousands of other people have done this- so why not you too? and keep going. don't stop.

good luck to you.

joni
  • jtheroux89
    Options
    I started out spending 2 weeks building up to start c25k! i measured myself going to 1 lamp post, walking 2, then built that up to running 2 lamp posts! then i started c25k.

music is a must- i listened to the chemical brothers- great beat and not too fast.

the trick to begin with is to go as slow as you can. speed comes with practice. i had to learn how to run- that sounds so stupid, but it's true! i started off going too fast. you have to learn how to stride, what body position is comfortable, etc.

but mostly it is a mind game. i suggest you start with c25k. and just do it! the thing is that you only need to do a run once, then you know you can do it again. that 20 minute run in week 7 or 8 seems like a huge thing, but you just need to remind yourself that thousands of other people have done this- so why not you too? and keep going. don't stop.

good luck to you.

joni

I definitely agree that music really helps and you're definitely right about the importance of learning how to run, I always feel awkward at first but after running/walking for a while it seems to get easier. Thanks for the advice!!
  • ljm0521
    ljm0521 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I have not read the previous responses, but just wanted to share my experience. I am a lot like you. I absolutely could not run more than a couple minutes. I really wanted to love running, but I couldn't get past it. Then my husband started heping me figure it out and he said the secret is to start slow. Like really slow. I felt silly at first, but it worked. When you start getting tired, slow down even more but don't stop. Within a couple months, I could run a 5K without stopping. It's been several months since then and I'm back in the "I want to love running, but can't" stage. Lol.