What finally made you get serious about losing weight?

Options

Replies

• Mummy2EliandAda
    Mummy2EliandAda Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I had had my baby at 122kg i was 80 kg when i got pregnant and had only gained 17 kg up until week 34 then i got toxaemia and it piled on. I had never felt so disgusting in my life my body felt like it was swallowing itself. I am now sitting around 105 and still trying to loose weight. im using the Wii fit as i personally am not an atheletic person but i need to do toning as i simply got massive. so far fitting a nice plush hoody i bought for myself with the view to keep up the healthy attitude.

I count my calories using my ipod to scan the barcodes of things i eat and use
  • yokem55
    Options
    The week between Christmas & New Years I had weird incident where a combination of a cold, some sleep apnea and some acid reflux (damn late night pizza) induced a really nasty asthma attack. I woke up and couldn't get a more than a fraction of a breath in at a time for the better part of a couple of minutes. Scared the heck out of me and made me pay attention to the fact that my weight was affecting my health in a real way that could have killed me. It took me a couple of weeks to figure out a way that I could start addressing what to do, and found MFP.
  • scentexpress
    Options
    If it weren't enough that I was on blood pressure & cholesterol meds, my epiphany occurred when the doctor called me into her office to discuss my latest lab work (that I was required to have in order to get refills on the above meds). She hands the paperwork to me and said, "Welcome to the wonderful world of Diabetes". I nearly fainted.

That was March 20, 2010. Since then, I've lost 120 lbs.by my OWN will, desire & determination. Not by following any of the fashionably latest or fad diet; I simply put the trust in myself to use my own common sense & make smart choices. I followed the logic of 'too much of anything can be a bad thing', and I googled up information about calories, fats (good & bad), carbs (simple & complex) & about the amazing benefits of fiber to the average person's diet. I then chose foods from those lists that were beneficial but that I also liked. I taught myself to love water & drink a gallon daily. And, most importantly...I got off of my butt. The first mile I walked almost killed me- I now mix running in with my walking & do an average of 7 miles at least 4 days a week. I've still have a ways to go, but I'm enjoying every day that I make smart choices & can honestly say that I trust myself for the first time in my entire life. I am so happy that I no longer am battling the blood pressure, high cholesterol OR the diabetes. I am proud of myself & I'm loving my life. :)
  • halpinj1
    halpinj1 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    It wasn't one big, miraculous moment for me- it was the culmination of about four months of feeling miserable and berating myself for getting to the size I was before starting to make little changes step by step. It took a while for me to get my head in gear; I had to stop the negative self-talk and start telling myself that I am worth the effort required to be healthy and free from this weight. There was a lot of soul-searching and there still is- I still have moments when I feel as though I'm not ever going to get to my goal, that I should just give up. I push past those moments because I know I am worthy of living the life I have imagined. That said, I've been serious about losing weight for almost two months now and have been on MFP for a little over a month. I've lost 12 lbs since I started and I relish the thought of all the good things I am doing for my body my losing this weight. Give yourself some time- you will lose when you are ready to. It's not a diet, it is a lifestyle change- that's the main thing I had to wrap my head around when I started. Now, I don't want all that crap food and soda tastes far too sugary and chemical-y.
    Good luck! You can do this, you deserve it for yourself! :) lots of love to everyone
  • New_Atti2ude
    New_Atti2ude Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    My wake up call is seeing my kids crave and want junk food. I was always fat but I don't want them to grow up being fat or having a fat miserable, insecure, slob of a mother. I use to be fierce. My 8 yr old is always like "Mommy remember back and the day when you would... I'm like "back in the day? Your only 8 boop!
  • Goosiesnougs
    Options
    All of my time of the month jeans became my everyday wear! And my skinny jeans no longer fit!
  • New_Atti2ude
    Options
    [quote
    For me, it was when my aunt past away. When we got the death certificate the cause of death just said "obesity".
    [/quote]

Wow! Sorry for your loss, that just gave me chills.
  • DogsK
    DogsK Posts: 94
    Options
    I have always held the believe when your number is up, its up and nothing you could do would change that. Because of that, I ate what I wanted and smoked and drank. I made a few feeble attempts to get fit but they always failed lasting no longer than a few weeks. Then I was diagnosed with diabetes (type 2) which came out of the blue and had high cholesterol. I got this back under control by stopping drinking and smoking and seriously exercising. I weighed 118 kg and was 195 cms tall The doctor told me I had done an excellent job with the diabetes and with that, my motivation went out the window. I stopped monitoring and went real slack onthe gym workouts. I would go but no push myself, staying well within my comfort zone. Then I got the news again, my diabetes had blown up and was fairly high again, cholesterol was up and now I found out I had high blood pressure. So some deep soul searching and I am now slowly changing my core beliefs where I alone am responsible for my health. I am serious about my gym work and always set challenges for myself. I have dropped my weight down to 111 kgs when I joined this group to knock off the last few kilos. I remind myself if I dont do this, then I will not be able to do the things I enjoy which is my work, my horses and fishing. As for your partner, not being rude but its all about you. My wife is not into healthy eating or being physically fit. She plods around the farm feeding her chooks and tends to them. I take the attitude I can not be responsible for her as she is not responsible for me. At the end of the day, it lies within you and how bad you want this. All the best. Surround yourself with supportive people, that helps on those low days. Cheers
  • Sunscreenandsweat
    Sunscreenandsweat Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I was really sick and the only way it seemed I would get better is to drop weight.
    Also my boyfriend at the time slept over and he was able to wear my sweatpants and they fit perfectly.
    No guy I date is ever going to be able to fit into my clothes again.
  • ChrisWag
    ChrisWag Posts: 169
    Options
    When I finally got s disgusted with myself that I just was not happy. And I wanted to be able to play with my son and Not be out of breath.
  • lind3400
    lind3400 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    My best friend decided she would "outgrow" me and shes trying to lose weight becuase she's in a police course and needs to do a fitness test...I know she lacks the willpower and will fail...so I wanna look hotter than her and wave my hot *kitten* in her face
  • New_Atti2ude
    Options
    If it weren't enough that I was on blood pressure & cholesterol meds, my epiphany occurred when the doctor called me into her office to discuss my latest lab work (that I was required to have in order to get refills on the above meds). She hands the paperwork to me and said, "Welcome to the wonderful world of Diabetes". I nearly fainted.

That was March 20, 2010. Since then, I've lost 120 lbs.by my OWN will, desire & determination. Not by following any of the fashionably latest or fad diet; I simply put the trust in myself to use my own common sense & make smart choices. I followed the logic of 'too much of anything can be a bad thing', and I googled up information about calories, fats (good & bad), carbs (simple & complex) & about the amazing benefits of fiber to the average person's diet. I then chose foods from those lists that were beneficial but that I also liked. I taught myself to love water & drink a gallon daily. And, most importantly...I got off of my butt. The first mile I walked almost killed me- I now mix running in with my walking & do an average of 7 miles at least 4 days a week. I've still have a ways to go, but I'm enjoying every day that I make smart choices & can honestly say that I trust myself for the first time in my entire life. I am so happy that I no longer am battling the blood pressure, high cholesterol OR the diabetes. I am proud of myself & I'm loving my life. :)

Your gorgeous!!!
  • Alee2C
    Options
    I started looking at my weight and my health and realized that I need to get fit and I want to be back in shape.
  • Zarebeth
    Zarebeth Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Ditching my alcoholic "feeder" boyfriend who kept sabotaging me. That and getting a physical and finding out I had brand new high blood pressure, high glucose, and high cholesterol. I am only 18 pounds in, but this time I am in it to win it.
  • elizabeth51608
    elizabeth51608 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Being exhausted, cranky, weak, and depressed about my weight-- and not wanting to take pictures or look in the mirror---after crash dieting, fad dieting, yo-yo-ing and starving//binging for a few years I decided to make a SERIOUS healthy lifestyle change and allow myself two years to lose 100 pounds (instead of previous unrealistic goals..."I will lose 50 pounds in 8 weeks!"). I joined the gym and got a personal trainer, started being more conscious of what I was eating...and since October 25 2011 I have lost 20 pounds on the dot. Slower progress than I am used to but I feel like it will last because I am making new habits and a new way of thinking about my body. I feel so much stronger already, I have some "baby" muscles and I am sleeping much better at night...not to mention the constant headaches, nausea and upset stomach from eating poorly are all gone :)

"Eat for the body you want, not the body you have!"
  • cstar22
    Options
    My mothers death....
    She has health problems that could have been prevented.. It was as simple as healthy choices and a little hard work. Mostly it was diabetes that took her in the end. But there were other problems like high blood pressure, tyroid, and probably other issues that I have no idea about. Im a single mother of two and dont want this happening to them. I have no dad or mom and Im only 32.

Plus I would like to feel good and have all my ex's drooling :)

It's hard to stay motivatied but I have friends that are doing this with me and we have a biggest loser contest at work.. Money is a great way to stay motivated. As well as a picture of a HOT guy on your fridge.. like Usher or David Beckman.. (of course shirtless) hahah ... You can do it.... You have all of us rooting you on!!!
  • amanda776
    Options
    Honestly as horrible as this sounds - mostly for vanity reasons. My entire life I have always been the "ugly" chick, I was obese, not attractive, had no self esteem or confidence and in high school I had unbelievable acne. I decided that I want to be a "hot" chick - to be the woman who walks into a room and immediately all the guys turn their heads. To actually be open and outgoing and not shy when meeting new people. I must say losing over 100 lbs I got ALL of that! I am back up a lot now but I still know that hot girl is still inside of me. That motivates me every day. :)
  • tiffygrl12
    Options
    The way I looked in clothes. I'm 18 and I felt like I was dressing like an old woman. Also i was afraid people would think I was pregnant and I decided it was a ridiculous thing to be afraid of so I joined MFP.
  • MountainMia
    MountainMia Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Admitting that my daughter (age 6) was gaining unhealthy weight because of my unhealthy habits. I had to acknowledge what I had been doing was WRONG and that my attitude about health will shape her and her two younger sisters attitudes as well. I want them to have the best shot at health and happiness, and that means I have to show them how it's done.
  • Coach74sb
    Coach74sb Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    The impending reality of turning 60 in May was my big impetus to getting my weight ... and corresponding BMI -- to the "normal" range. Throw in my loving wife's chronic health issues, two granddaughters and my recent purchase of a FitBit tracker and I have a ton of motivation.

I have no illusions of transforming myself back into the thin, fit jock I was in my 20s and 30s ... but I need to get healthier so that I can enjoy a good quality of life and "be there" for those I love for another 4 decades!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!