Where are the positive people?

Options

Replies

• FlyByJuly
    FlyByJuly Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Find positve friends with similar goals and focus more on them and less on the forums. Internet forums are a notorious feeding ground for trolls and wankers. This site is no exception, so take what the negative or judgmental people say with a grain of salt. Or better yet, ignore them altogether.

I like this, and I also LOVE your ticker!!!!
  • AReasor
    AReasor Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    What grinds my gears is when people jump to a conclusion about your life. I would hate to see what people would say about my exercise logs. BUT I also am recovering from a long illness. You never know what a person's personal journey is.
  • echoica
    echoica Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Find positve friends with similar goals and focus more on them and less on the forums. Internet forums are a notorious feeding ground for trolls and wankers. This site is no exception, so take what the negative or judgmental people say with a grain of salt. Or better yet, ignore them altogether.

Well said!!
  • BBoros
    BBoros Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Well I have only been on MFP for a week {Wednesday} and I have listed cleaning as part of my excercise, reason being, I am somewhat disabled and cleaning house is something that is hard for me to do.So therefor it is movement for me, therefore I count it as some sort of excecise. :smile:
  • Rahul_ahuja
    Options
    Feel free to add me lol i only log the excercises i have done and my goal is always to burn atleast 1000 calories per day and consume no more then 1400 however sometimes it gets to 860 calories and 1500 intake calories but but n but lol my highest calorie burn is 1413 calories per day and 1700 intake calories that makes it 287 calories per day consumption and i still feel full though and yeah i have lost 13 pounds in 21 days my gym instructor says ur loseing weight fast thats just coz ur only 18 years old and u should atleast eat 1900 calories if your burning over 800 calories but i dont care and im still on that fast weight loss program.
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me lol i only log the excercises i have done and my goal is always to burn atleast 1000 calories per day and consume no more then 1400 however sometimes it gets to 860 calories and 1500 intake calories but but n but lol my highest calorie burn is 1413 calories per day and 1700 intake calories that makes it 287 calories per day consumption and i still feel full though and yeah i have lost 13 pounds in 21 days my gym instructor says ur loseing weight fast thats just coz ur only 18 years old and u should atleast eat 1900 calories if your burning over 800 calories but i dont care and im still on that fast weight loss program.

And I'm sure people who tell you that's not healthy are "negative." :ohwell:
  • alexsmith01
    alexsmith01 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    If anyone needs a positive friend, I'm happy to be added! I don't care how anyone does it - fasting, logging every step of every day, zig-zagging, eating back or not eating back exercise calories - but if you're losing weight then it's obviously working for you and I'll probably give it a go eventually too!
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    You must not care about muscle either.
  • SparklesPlenty
    SparklesPlenty Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I like to surround myself with great people. I don't critique anyone unless they ask me to. If you wanna add me I am up for new positive fun friends.
  • raevynn
    raevynn Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    I've been at work all day... sorry I wasn't here earlier.
  • TexasGirl_Amie
    Options
    So, I have been reading topics today. Some of the things people post amaze me. I thought that MFP was supposed to be about being healthier and having a support group to help, not tear people down. Deleting friends because of what they consider to be exercise is stupid. If people are just starting out or have very sedentary lifestyles normally and they want to log cleaning or sex or whatever, that is their business. If you don't like it, who cares?

If you want to sit on a high horse and judge people for their choices, find somewhere else to do it. I am not talking about constructive criticism, as we can all use that. I'm talking about being a jerk because someone does it differently than you.

That being said, I am looking for the positive people of MFP. I like my supportive friends (that are still honest) and could always use more. I am supportive and try to give advice as I can without being hateful.

Have a great day fellow MFPers! :)
    A few months ago, I wrote a blog about people being "Enablers". They will say stuff, so they won't hurt the person feelings. However, they should have just kept it real.

MFP is full of "enablers". I use my experience to help others and I am not going to sugarcoat. You can't cherry pick and choose what you want to hear. It doesn't work like that. If I see you eating 1200 calories a day, doing HIIT 6x a week. I am going to call you out on it. If you're are concerned about eating carbs before bed or "spiking" your metabolism with multiple meals, I am going to call you out on it.

Losing weight, losing bodyfat, and getting healthy is already hard enough. Wouldn't it be nice for someone to clear the BS from around you? When I make claims I always back it up with a link to the research. 99% of the people around here recite what they heard and this is dangerous.

I actually agree with you about enablers. I want friends who will be honest with me. As I said before, there is no reason to be an *kitten* about it. You can tell someone something without being rude. That being said, I don't get my feelings hurt easily and prefer people to be blunt. My issue comes when I see people who are just starting out getting chastised for what they are doing. We don't know their story and want to help, so we should gently tell them what they can do different. For most people starting out, it can be overwhelming and they don't take the time to research. People being mean may upset them just enough to make them decide they aren't ready.
    I like that you put up links with the research. That's cool and it would be nice if everyone did the same.
  • raevynn
    raevynn Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    You must not care about muscle either.
    .. or the fact that if you ruin your metabolism at 19, it is fairly ruined for life.
  • michellebd1980
    Options
    So, I have been reading topics today. Some of the things people post amaze me. I thought that MFP was supposed to be about being healthier and having a support group to help, not tear people down. Deleting friends because of what they consider to be exercise is stupid. If people are just starting out or have very sedentary lifestyles normally and they want to log cleaning or sex or whatever, that is their business. If you don't like it, who cares?

If you want to sit on a high horse and judge people for their choices, find somewhere else to do it. I am not talking about constructive criticism, as we can all use that. I'm talking about being a jerk because someone does it differently than you.

That being said, I am looking for the positive people of MFP. I like my supportive friends (that are still honest) and could always use more. I am supportive and try to give advice as I can without being hateful.

Have a great day fellow MFPers! :)

Thanks for this! I agree!
  • bademasi
    bademasi Posts: 180 Member
    Options

this

12908857.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • IronmanPanda
    IronmanPanda Posts: 2,083 Member
    Options
    What gets me are the people who get defensive when someone disagrees with them and then proceed to lash out like a child and then play the victim card. First thing people need to realize is that just because someone disagrees with you doesn't mean they are personally attacking you. The second thing is, this is the internet. If you start to feel like you're losing it... back away and get off the computer. Easy peasy.
  • Tamstar1985
    Tamstar1985 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    unfortunately, on any website with forums, there will always be negativity :$ i try to ignore it, because who knows when someone's having a bad day and takes it out on others, etc.

i always try to be positive and helpful! constructive criticism is great, as long as it's coming from a caring POV - the key word here being "constructive". honesty is the best policy :)
  • MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    Options
    there are no positive people here lol
    all the shirtless trolls eated them

:laugh:
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options

holy run on sentence batman!
  • KickassAugust
    KickassAugust Posts: 1,430 Member
    Options
  • JennieAL
    JennieAL Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options
    My issue comes when I see people who are just starting out getting chastised for what they are doing. We don't know their story and want to help, so we should gently tell them what they can do different. For most people starting out, it can be overwhelming and they don't take the time to research. People being mean may upset them just enough to make them decide they aren't ready.
    I like that you put up links with the research. That's cool and it would be nice if everyone did the same.

If someone's upset so that they leave or decide they "aren't ready" then they weren't ready anyway. I was blasted recently on another forum for my sensitive feelings (relatively sensitive, mind you... MFP'ers are softcore compared to this other group I'm referring to) and stubborn attitude. It certainly didn't make me pack up and leave... rather, it set the tone for how I'm going to approach things in that particular forum... they don't take kindly to broscience BS there, and will slap you down quickly for it. Nor are they coddlers, but that's beside the point.

If I get pointed in the right direction after swallowing all the conventional wisdom and broscience nonsense dished out on a regular basis, then I can either take that golden opportunity to start investigating things to find out what's actually current science supported and what's just old science or flat out myth.

If you truly want to CHANGE things for yourself, then you better learn to deal with a little bit of stark honesty at times.

If you just want positivity, well... that's another thing entirely. There are some happy, positive fools out there who are swallowing nonsense everyday.

Btw, I have some very positive friends who support me here. But the ones I respect the most are the ones who would take the extra time to point out to me something I might be doing wrong, or something I might be mistaken about. Or answer the questions I have without feeling like they have to walk on eggshells around me so as not to offend.