Having potato at lunch?

Options
124»

Replies

• AnnaValek
    AnnaValek Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Acg67- Then you can go ahead and ignore my suggestion between the two breads. I put out my preference out there for others to consider, I supported it, and I still believe it, among all others, to be true. Even if wheat bread may inhibit absorption, I don't find it to be enough to block out the majority of all nutrients and minerals. If anything, you may be missing out on a miniscule bit, that you still would not get with white bread.

I'm going to retire.

For breakfast, I'll be having french toast with white bread and whole eggs, a whole wheat bagel, two scrambled eggs with no yolks, and a serving of baked potato.
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    Acg67- Then you can go ahead and ignore my suggestion between the two breads. I put out my preference out there for others to consider, I supported it, and I still believe it, among all others, to be true. Even if wheat bread may inhibit absorption, I don't find it to be enough to block out the majority of all nutrients and minerals. If anything, you may be missing out on a miniscule bit, that you still would not get with white bread.

I'm going to retire.

For breakfast, I'll be having french toast with white bread and whole eggs, a whole wheat bagel, two scrambled eggs with no yolks, and a serving of baked potato.

Add some cheese to it all and ill be right there with you! xD
  • Sublog
    Sublog Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    It's fine, but balance out your intake of potatoes with wheat breads and egg (no yolk) or wheat noodles. Carbs are good for energy, but starchy carbs can add up quicker.

What? Starchy carbs add up quicker? How does that make any sense? Bottom line - eat potatoes if your calorie and macros allow for it. They're high in nutrients and fiber and taste great. What's not to love about them?
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    We'll NEVER have nice things. :angry:
  • ishallnotwant
    ishallnotwant Posts: 1,210 Member
    Options

I'm going to retire.

Add some cheese to it all and ill be right there with you! xD

I'll take the yolks, over medium, please!
  • dumb_blondes_rock
    dumb_blondes_rock Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of good properties to white potatoes....no one talks about them though because they want to believe the hype that potatoes will kill you.

If you are worried about white carbs, make it a sweet potato or somethin

http://home.howstuffworks.com/potatoes3.htm
  • dumb_blondes_rock
    dumb_blondes_rock Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    add bacon bits, or even turkey bacon, some broccoli and low fat cheddar cheese.....MAN now im hongrayyy!
  • nahralynn
    nahralynn Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    We'll NEVER have nice things. :angry:

bwahahahaha!
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,241 Member
    Options
    Sure, now I want a nice baked tater.
  • paisley2288
    paisley2288 Posts: 913 Member
    Options
    I was asking this because I was looking for something that might benefit my health more. I thought that the purity of a potato might be more health beneficial than processed bread! I'm not too sure what Potassium is all about. I am a bit of a noob when it comes to this sort of stuff.

Seems to have caused quite the stir. I am ever so confused! I think I'll just stick to the bread hahaha I wouldn't mind dodging the amount of calories in bread though... it always seems to make my lunch add up to a lot! and I have turkey bolognaise sitting in the fridge at home that I need to consume within the next two days so I thought potato + bolognaise was a good idea :P

maybe not!? :indifferent:

lol I feel bad for the OP!! I agree with the member who said to mix it up a bit. I do and I lost 5 pounds last week. It seems like your post turned into a wee-wee size comparing contest lol
  • Radcliffe83
    Options
    I like potato. It tastes nice. I sometimes have beans, recently I have added different tinned oily fish for protein but also because fish tastes nice. I also like some sort of butter spread, I try and aim for lower calories as long as it tastes nice.

Stay in your calorie goals and make sure you enjoy what you eat!
  • jetscreaminagain
    jetscreaminagain Posts: 1,130 Member
    Options
    I apologize. Something about this exchange makes me need to point out that even though plants easily convert sunshine into plant matter, when I eat plants I don't easily convert them back and fart rainbows and sunshine. But maybe that's just me.
    You can eat starchy carbs anytime you want. You act like your body is going to detect starches and immediately add +100 pounds. A carb is 4 calories per gram. It doesn't matter if it's potato or a piece of fruit.

So, would you like to continue to spew your broscience nonsense?.

What are you talking about? Eating starchy carbs one day or another won't impact your health curve as long as you remain active, but eating only potatoes as a carb isn't "healthy" and you should try to derive your source of carbs from other sources. Starches can turn to sugar more quickly, despite having the same carbohydrate amount as a piece of bread. We need some starches, but sometimes we need the long lasting effect of whole grain carbohydrates to stay in our system longer than a starch carb will. Since plants convert sugars to starches as a form of food storage, our bodies can easily switch it back when it comes to certain food items, such as potatoes.
  • gcampos
    gcampos Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Have a sweet potato! Much healthier option :)
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    I apologize. Something about this exchange makes me need to point out that even though plants easily convert sunshine into plant matter, when I eat plants I don't easily convert them back and fart rainbows and sunshine. But maybe that's just me.
    You can eat starchy carbs anytime you want. You act like your body is going to detect starches and immediately add +100 pounds. A carb is 4 calories per gram. It doesn't matter if it's potato or a piece of fruit.

So, would you like to continue to spew your broscience nonsense?.

What are you talking about? Eating starchy carbs one day or another won't impact your health curve as long as you remain active, but eating only potatoes as a carb isn't "healthy" and you should try to derive your source of carbs from other sources. Starches can turn to sugar more quickly, despite having the same carbohydrate amount as a piece of bread. We need some starches, but sometimes we need the long lasting effect of whole grain carbohydrates to stay in our system longer than a starch carb will. Since plants convert sugars to starches as a form of food storage, our bodies can easily switch it back when it comes to certain food items, such as potatoes.
    On top of that.

Her assertion of starches primarily be used for athletic performance is pure false. Even if she stated Low Gi vs High Gi, she would still be wrong. It makes no difference.

Any of you can read Alan Argon's indepth review on the matter.
  • AntWrig
    Options
    Have a sweet potato! Much healthier option :)
    Why is it more healthier?

Because a sweet potato has a lower GI number than a white one?
  • TheNewDoug
    Options
    I think threads like this make beginners feel overwhelmed and give up. My head is spinning.
  • AntWrig
    Options
    I think threads like this make beginners feel overwhelmed and give up. My head is spinning.
    You know what. I was thinking the same thing.
  • sizzlinoverthefat
    sizzlinoverthefat Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Here's my 2 cents worth, nuke the potato and top it with your fav salsa...I've added low fat cottage cheese to the salsa occasionally...yum is the word you should be aiming for and of course remain in your cal intake for the day :bigsmile:
  • Angelabec
    Angelabec Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    You know what. I was thinking the same thing.

I'm not a beginner, and my head is spinning, so I'll just say to the OP, eat the potato, it's all good!

As an aside, I made leek and potato soup for lunch, I left the skins on, because I think it gives it a bit more flavour, and you don't really notice the texture once it's been through the blender. :smile: