Do people even look at diaries before they comment?

Options
I have mfp friends that regularly or semi-regularly log very VERY low nets cals. And I mean 600 or below, or even regularly in the 3-400s.

If I see a diary that low and it's unusual for them fine. If someone has had a massive burn and is struggling to plan the extra cals in, I might offer support with some advice on how to plan in extra snacks etc, or say not to worry if they "overeat" the following day because the body wont reset at midnight.

BUT if someone is regularly netting very low, even apparently successfully, with regular weight loss, I'll comment that I think cals that low are unhealthy.

However I see lot, and I mean LOTS of "well done", "wtg", "great job" replies on these ridiculously low net diaries.

What I dont know is, do these people think that is a good number of net cals? or do they comment without even opening the diary?

Replies

• Tara4boys
    Tara4boys Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    I delete people that have continually unhealthy diaries (low calories).

May sound harsh but I have a limited amount of time and energy to help others. Most of the 800 calorie people - you can't change their minds anyway.

I do kind of hate the way MFP seems to "celebrate" being under your calorie goal by posting it on your wall. I kind of wish it just said "Suzie finished her food log for today". Then you could look at it to see how the person did. Personally I think undereating by 900 calories is a lot worse than overeating by 25 calories.

I've also had days where I've eaten CRAP and gotten a lot of well done, wtg, etc. I'm like NO IT WASN'T!!!
  • Kirsty_UK
    Kirsty_UK Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    It just feels like my comments are drowned out in a sea of "well dones".

Absolutely I wish mfp would change the display to "X is within Y% of their target net cals today". Would be a much better celebration.
  • R_is_for_Rachel
    R_is_for_Rachel Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    It just feels like my comments are drowned out in a sea of "well dones".

Absolutely I wish mfp would change the display to "X is within Y% of their target net cals today". Would be a much better celebration.
    Totally agree with that comment , partly because I don't want to feel bad if I've gone over by 10 cals!
  • RachelT14
    RachelT14 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I often comment on my own diary when i am under calories but with not very good choices something like could have made better choices today!

Having said that people rarely comment on my diary anyway
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    BUT if someone is regularly netting very low, even apparently successfully, with regular weight loss, I'll comment that I think cals that low are unhealthy.

Unless you're asked, it's probably best to either mind your own business or delete them as a friend.

Unsolicited advice is never a good thing.
  • Soon2BeMrsThomson
    Options
    I admit, people who don't have an open diary get a 'well done' from me if they are my friends on MFP only if they are under their calorie goals just for encouragement mainly. I like to say something more in depth if I can view the persons diary. I think diarys should be open anyway if you are friends, what would be so secret that people shouldn't be able to see it?
  • Ladyiianae
    Ladyiianae Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I think some people want to look at diaries before commenting (me for one) but alot of the time the owners have not made the diary public (more often because they don't know or understand how).

Jen
  • sailorsiren13
    Options
    i will often comment without looking because i really don't think it's any of my business what people are eating. I am here to lift up and not put down. Each person's struggle is their own and i don't like being judgmental i myself am not doing a certain "diet" i am watching portions and eating more fruit and veggies. I think it's more realistic and healthier but if someone is drinking shakes or whatever that's their business.
  • Hungry_Tuna
    Hungry_Tuna Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    "Tara4boys" pretty much summed up my thoughts on the matter exactly.
  • shadowkitty22
    shadowkitty22 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I honestly don't even open up people's diaries for the most part. Unless they comment about how they're struggling with something then I'll check it out. But I also don't tend to comment on people's posts about their diary completion for the day. Their exercises and weight loss posts though I will comment on.
  • SLN11
    SLN11 Posts: 210
    Options
    Once over I used to comment on every diary !

This got a long process and like you said some people just take it to an extreme and I dont believe in bigging someone up for making the wrong choices or not eating enough etc, I much prefer to offer solutions, advice and motivation !

As much as I do comment WTG, Well done, Fab job I tend to do this more on the exercise updates so I can see whats been done etc.
  • dravenangel
    dravenangel Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I always look at diaries before commenting. If I see someone not meet their goal plus then log a half decent burn then I skip commenting. Plus, if I have time and the inclination, I try and put something personal to their diary in the comment :smile:
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    I delete people that have continually unhealthy diaries (low calories).

May sound harsh but I have a limited amount of time and energy to help others. Most of the 800 calorie people - you can't change their minds anyway.

I do kind of hate the way MFP seems to "celebrate" being under your calorie goal by posting it on your wall. I kind of wish it just said "Suzie finished her food log for today". Then you could look at it to see how the person did. Personally I think undereating by 900 calories is a lot worse than overeating by 25 calories.

I've also had days where I've eaten CRAP and gotten a lot of well done, wtg, etc. I'm like NO IT WASN'T!!!

^ So agree with this!
  • DoubleE615312
    DoubleE615312 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I generally don't comment on others diaries unless they ask for it. Do I look at them, sure, because I am always looking for new things to eat. If a person as had a really good day then I will comment on it.
  • tam120
    tam120 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    This is one of the reasons I turned off the notification to post to my wall when I complete my diary for the day. I really don't need anyone to comment on whether I was under or over calories, especially if they're commenting based on what the wall says and not what I actually ate. I don't normally comment on other's walls regarding finishing their diaries for this reason as well.
  • rocketmouse
    rocketmouse Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I always do if the diary is public. If one of my friends is super low I'll usually say something but I tend not to have friends that are eating less than 1100 on the regular. I like to leave a better comment than just, "well done!" so I wanna look for things like a good balanced diet with fruit and veg or low fat or whatever
  • MrsSWW
    MrsSWW Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    I've deleted people because of their eating habits. I'm not here to judge anyone but myself, but if I don't feel able to comment truthfully on someone's diary without them being offended/defensive/rude then I don't consider them to be friends.

I have also kept some friends despite their eating habits, people who have tried every weird and wonderful diet going but who do appreciate your thoughts and perhaps even take some of them to heart.

I only have a couple of friends who have closed diaries and rarely comment when they complete because I don't like to offer my opinion if I don't know what I'm talking about.

:flowerforyou:

4558573.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • ast219
    ast219 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    If there's someone you know personally (or well enough to discuss how much they eat) with that you think is eating too little, then you are probably comfortable enough with that person to say something. But don't judge strangers on their calorie intake. MFP says everyone has to eat a minimum of 1200 calories, regardless of the weight they are trying to lose... but as a 29 year old woman who's only 4'9'', that's not realistic for me. Even my doctor has okay'd me eating less than that. I always try to net a lower calorie intake, and it's not because I'm starving myself.
  • godricshollow
    godricshollow Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I delete people who have low cals. For some reason girls who eat 600 and under seem to flock to me, I don't understand it!

As for myself, I generally leave about 200 per day spare because I have trouble eating that much. I need to find new snacks I think. My diary is private though because, lol, when it was public a few days I hit the "finish logging" button on my phone by accident and people commented saying WAY TO GO!!!!! AWESOME DAY!!!! YUM!!!! Yet my diary was empty? And had nothing in it? What was yum... the air I apparently consumed? Oy vey.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    I don't post my diary because I don't need anyone commenting on it. My diary also requires a key. I don't comment a lot on others diaries unless they ask me too. I don't search out others diaries either. It is none of my business unless they bring it up what they are eating. I am an adult and others on this site are too. I don't feel a need to babysit their diaries or have them babysit mine. That is just my feeling about it. I don't know what everyone's struggles and needs are. Some have restrictions given by their doctors on sodium, calories, etc. It is not mine to judge.